Brisbane suburbs for a young family???

huske

Hi everyone,

we are moving over to Brisbane in November and I would appreciate advice on which suburbs to consider for rental???

Needs to be south side of Brisbane due to work commitments.

We are a family of 3- myself, hubby and a 3 years old and would like to rent a house with garden and garage. We prefer quiet areas with parks, greenery,nature, but not too far to drive to Aldi/Coles etc for food shopping .Not bothered about bars, restaurants,nightlife at all. Kindergarten nearby would be a bonus :)

Many thanks for any advice!!!

Budget is $350-$400 pw max... Sorry, but didnt realise that south side of Brisbane is anything below the river. I meant bit more further down - anything from Cleveland/Victoria Point all the way across to Collingwood park and anything in between and around...Sunnybank, Forest Lakes etc...Sorry that I have no idea about these areas, Im just looking on a map at the moment and throwing names of suburbs around that would be suitable location wise, but obviously there is huge amount of other stuff to consider as well as the location...

Thanks!!!

Try googling Yarrabilba or flagstone . Yarrabilba a family oriented area. It's new. Your budget would get you in a new modern house. It's future plans are huge. Estate only 2 years old at present. We just bought in here and are quite happy. Your budget would get you a mortgage in here.

Its close to mount Tamborine and hinterlands , see all this from your back yard. Coles supermarket is now underway and various little shops be completed in next few months. Also has a free kids waterpark as well as schools now being built. House and land prices are increasing quite quickly now so good time to get in here.good luck ..

Edited by Ausborn
add info

Budget is $350-$400 pw max... Sorry, but didnt realise that south side of Brisbane is anything below the river. I meant bit more further down - anything from Cleveland/Victoria Point all the way across to Collingwood park and anything in between and around...Sunnybank, Forest Lakes etc...Sorry that I have no idea about these areas, Im just looking on a map at the moment and throwing names of suburbs around that would be suitable location wise, but obviously there is huge amount of other stuff to consider as well as the location...

Thanks!!!

We are in Mt Cotton and love it though rentals are few and far between here as most are owner-occupied. What you get here and at Redland Bay is more for your money and your budget is modest. Redland Bay because it is just that little bit further along the coast and Mt Cotton because it is a 10 minute drive from the coast (which matters to many). Enter postcode 4165 on realestate.com.au. And key in your budget and search criteria.

I too was going to recommend Flagstone and Yarabillba but Ausborn beat me to it,lol...

Springfield Lakes is another nice area but may not be in the right location (depending on where work is). Teviot Downs / New Beith may be worth a look too.

Cal x

Thanks!!!

Cleveland & Victoria Pt are more East side not south. Sunnybank can be quite expensive but Forest Lake is cheap (although it is unfortunately next to Inala). Algester & Parkinson have lots of lovely parks & are in your price range. There is a shopping centre with Aldi, Coles & Woolworths only 5 mins away to :)

I am pursuing a job in Eight Mile Plains and hope to move from Melbourne

Trying to research some suburbs around the area doesn't reveal much, so this is interesting stuff for me.

I did fancy the coast - Manly / Wynnum, but without a car (until family move here as well), most commuting away from the busway seems pretty dire. Can't believe the train journey times, 30k trips seem to take an hour!

Caught buses from Southbank which are frequent and the busway is fantastic, but after that they get infrequent (down past RACQ on Logan Rd). So torn between a commute (on the busway route somewhere) or finding somewhere closer while I am here by myself

I am pursuing a job in Eight Mile Plains and hope to move from Melbourne

Trying to research some suburbs around the area doesn't reveal much, so this is interesting stuff for me.

I did fancy the coast - Manly / Wynnum, but without a car (until family move here as well), most commuting away from the busway seems pretty dire. Can't believe the train journey times, 30k trips seem to take an hour!

Caught buses from Southbank which are frequent and the busway is fantastic, but after that they get infrequent (down past RACQ on Logan Rd). So torn between a commute (on the busway route somewhere) or finding somewhere closer while I am here by myself

Hi Davlap, not sure if you're after a house or townhouse or wanting to rent but there are quite a few rentals at Eight Mile Plains. Some nearby suburbs are Runcorn, Mt Gravatt, Rochedale & Underwood. I'm not 100% on all buses for that area but 111 & 150 are 2 of the bigs. Hope that helps :)

Hi marenmatt1

Thanks for replying

Yes, I've looked at the rentals and there are a few around. I was wondering more about what its like to live there. Like I mentioned before not much info really. I don't need nightlife, but places to walk to at the weekend / evenings, shopping close by etc as I won't have a car.

The buses you mention go from Brisbane to eight mile (and one or two others) and are quite frequent. I then need another bus to get to workplace and one runs every half hour, the other every hour. So the commute from Brisbane is OK, but local buses are not so great

There are a few convenience stores dotted around but the closest big shopping centre is Garden City. Sadly unless you live in the cbd or inner suburbs I think a lot of Brisbane is hard to get to without a car. You can get to garden city from eight mile plains by the buses I mentioned before & I'd say a few others would too. Depending on which part you live in there are some nice parks & walking tracks dotted about.

Where exactly is your work? if we know this then we can discount some suburbs due to transport links.

It will be Acacia Ridge.We will be buying a vehicle soon after arrival, so will not be relying on public transport. I have narrowed it down a bit now, all within 30mins drive max(depending on traffic), so we have to wait and see what will be available closer to the time in those areas...

It will be Acacia Ridge.We will be buying a vehicle soon after arrival, so will not be relying on public transport. I have narrowed it down a bit now, all within 30mins drive max(depending on traffic), so we have to wait and see what will be available closer to the time in those areas...

Something to consider for Acacia Ridge travel time is Beaudesert Rd gets quite crazy from about 3pm to about 6pm so be prepared to add extra travel time there. Hope that helps :)

30 minutes drive time on a weekend can be nearly doubled in rush hour. Consider something closer into the city. Most traffic will be heading towards the CBD so you'll be going against the flow.

Hi Davlap, not sure if you're after a house or townhouse or wanting to rent but there are quite a few rentals at Eight Mile Plains. Some nearby suburbs are Runcorn, Mt Gravatt, Rochedale & Underwood. I'm not 100% on all buses for that area but 111 & 150 are 2 of the bigs. Hope that helps :)

Runcorn not to bad, calamvale ,Stretton ,Sunnybank hills all along that bus route . Rochedales new estates are nice ..Just stay away from kuraby ..

30 minutes drive time on a weekend can be nearly doubled in rush hour. Consider something closer into the city. Most traffic will be heading towards the CBD so you'll be going against the flow.

Good point, I haven't thought about it like that...Looking into areas north of Acacia ridge now :)

• 4 weeks later...