457 ending,can I have a visitor visa for a year?

Hi all,my 457 visa is ending after 4 years,and it looks like I will not have a job by Sept.Local has the job offer.The question is ,can I get a visitor visa for a year?

I would like to have at least 6 months hols and then start search for employer to sponsor me for another 457.(Registered Nurse)btw.

Any advice??

Providing your visa does not have a no further stay condition on it then you can apply for a visitor visa, however I expect it would have a lot of scrutiny as they may consider you are looking for work or may even work illegally.

You would need to have sufficient funds to stay for the duration of the visa without work & that's an awful lot of money for 12 months and it would also help to have your return flight to the UK booked. Owning a house in Australia may well go against you as again it suggests you may be looking to stay.

I'd say if you're going to give it a try, book the return ticket to "prove" you're ready to return at the end of the visa. I know that will cost, but I can't see them believing you if you don't have it.

Also as Lady Rainicorn says, you need to provide evidence of sufficient funds to live for the duration of the visa. Do you have that?

Remember your employer pays for your return flight, so you could get them to book it and then look into the holiday visa. Make sure they book a ticket that can be changed at low cost. You can show immigration that you have a return flight then, but change the return date as required if DIBP grant the holiday visa.

Hi all,my 457 visa is ending after 4 years,and it looks like I will not have a job by Sept.Local has the job offer.The question is ,can I get a visitor visa for a year?

I would like to have at least 6 months hols and then start search for employer to sponsor me for another 457.(Registered Nurse)btw.

Any advice??

If you have 457 visa then thia visa conditions are that you r eligible for permanent residency after 2 year ......... You should talk with your agent regarding PR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have 457 visa then thia visa conditions are that you r eligible for permanent residency after 2 year ......... You should talk with your agent regarding PR

Doesn't your employer have to sponsor you fpr that though?

Not automatically. And the employer does need to sponsor you if you go that stream. For an independent visa there is no waiting time.

This is a common fallacy based on a specific employer nominated PR visa that does not require a skills assessment (for most professions), if your employer is willing to they can sponsor you for PR from the start or at any time (most won't as a 457 gives them power over you).

If after two years your employer doesn't want to sponsor you there is nothing you can do and this happens a lot.

Doesn't your employer have to sponsor you fpr that though?

Yes and you are required to commit to work for them for two years although legally this can't be upheld (some employers may require you to sign a contract though)