Would a lapsed direct debit as a backpacker affect my PR credit?

digitalis

Hi all, long time no post!

Back in 2012 I spent a year travelling Aus. and while in Perth I took out a 6 month contract in a gym in one of the many retail parks on the outskirts which I ended up cancelling around 2 months in.

Now I know that they tried chasing me up when I was still there as I recall the phonecall. Cut scene, I am a year away from graduating as a Podiatrist, and plan on applying for my PR Visa the second I get my HCPC registration....so my question is, do I need to set the ball rolling now to sort this debt/contract out? It's hardly big money but the last thing I want is "computer says no" when I get there. I am of course awilling and able to pay any amounts outstanding...is there a credit ref agency I need to check?

Many thanks,

Gaz

(I am well aware I shouldn't have renegaed on my contract FWIW)

Cliff's notes

- Set up a 6 month gym membership in Perth as a backpacker which I didn't honour.

- Am around 16 months away from applying for PR (Podiatrist) would this still be effecting my credit there.

- If so what agencies do I need to speak to.

ASAIK only loans, finance or mortgages only appear on any official Credit History.

Even then (in Ireland anyway) any 'blips' last only 48 months.

An unpaid Direct Debit for a Gym, shouldn't be a problem.

B

PS: I'm sure it'll 'workout'!

I think debt here follows you for 6/7 odd years. So, although I really don't think it will affect your visa, it could mess with you trying to get any other credit later. I talk as someone who's partner went on a new phone plan which promised to save him money, it didn't, so he switched to pay as you go, without actually cancelling the contract. Years later he now has bad credit, and had to pay a two year contract out that he didn't even use. :-/

Thanks both and nice pun Beaty! @blossom, yeah it's the same as in the UK (six year thing). I did try signing up for one of the Australian credit agencies to check but they wanted permanent addresses etc. lol bit of a nightmare.

As a moderator, any chance you can move this to the NAB section please?

Can't you just phone the gym and pay what you owe?

Would that actually clear a bad credit record? I genuinely don't know but I thought it was the act of defaulting that caused the black mark, and subsequent repayment doesn't erase the fact of the default.

I also recall that in the UK (don;t know whether it is also the case in Australia) that any contact with the creditor that acknowledges the debt will reset the 7 year clock - hence, unless you intend to repay in full you are better off not replying to anything.

Would that actually clear a bad credit record? I genuinely don't know but I thought it was the act of defaulting that caused the black mark, and subsequent repayment doesn't erase the fact of the default.

I also recall that in the UK (don;t know whether it is also the case in Australia) that any contact with the creditor that acknowledges the debt will reset the 7 year clock - hence, unless you intend to repay in full you are better off not replying to anything.

Exactly.

Hmm the general consensus is "don't know". I think my next step is to sign up to an Aussie credit rating agency somehow.

Archived