Having debt in the UK but living in Aus

swifty

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they return they could face a lot of problems.

Youve changed your your tune a little. A few posts back you were telling tales of debt collectors tracking people through social media and staking out the airport waiting for debtors to holiday in the UK. I'm not sure what you thought they might do once the plane landed lol

Now the story is "if they return they could face a lot of problems"

If and could, not very sure now are we? What might be the problems?

Youve changed your your tune a little. A few posts back you were telling tales of debt collectors tracking people through social media and staking out the airport waiting for debtors to holiday in the UK. I'm not sure what you thought they might do once the plane landed lol

Now the story is "if they return they could face a lot of problems"

If and could, not very sure now are we? What might be the problems?

Did I really say that? care to point out the post please.

It's been a while since we did our citizenship, but i'm sure one of the questions was about outstanding court judgements. I don't know if a debt agency lodges something with court how long it remains outstanding for. A potential problem perhaps

Yes I offered them a portion of money at first and they said no they wanted it all. I said I had sold the car (ive checked all the agreement and its all above board it was my car to sell) and they wanted all the money from it, told them I had already paid some debts off. They told me then to set up a payment plan which I did and ive still been paying. Its with a collections department now but I'm still paying. I have told them I'm not working and I cant go to work until I can put my son in nursery which I cant afford to do.

You mention lots of times in your posts "it's fine" .. mum is fine ... The majority of members will, tell you to stick to the plan you've agreed into or re-negotiate it. You borrowed the money and you need to pay it back irrespective of where you're living. If you have reduced income then offer them reduced payments. You have both a legal and moral responsibility to repay the money that you borrowed, if you don't then quite honestly it's theft.

Probably not if you genuinely can't pay it back.

But you do wonder how someone can spend tens of thousands migrating to Australia and then say they can't pay their debts.

It happens which is why people do call honesty into question.

But you do wonder how someone can spend tens of thousands migrating to Australia and then say they can't pay their debts.

It happens which is why people do call honesty into question.

Very true however someone's circumstances can change very quickly.

I am sure there will be people who use the fact they have emigrated to hide from liabilities however there will also be those who's circumstances have genuinely changed and cannot pay it back. I wouldn't class that as theft or dishonesty.

Archived