189/190- State sponsorship and independent distributor advice wanted

Liz Baker

Hi, I'm hoping someone could help me... My husband has applied for a PR visa. He is a qualified vehicle tech and has been offered a sponsorship from NSW. I need to know where we would stand if we were to accept this sponsorship, would we be able to live and work in another state (Queensland) Brisbane straight away?

On a completely different topic- My husband is the main applicant for the visa, we are aware that HE cannot work self employed for the first two years. My question is if I were to become an independent distributor for a company in the uk whilst we are still here, would I be able to continue once we moved to Oz? If so what and how would I need to do this?

Eagerly awaiting your response. If you could get back to me with as much information as possible I would be truly grateful. Thanks. Liz.

I am not sure if your allowed to move to Brisbane with accepting NSW state sponsorship, (Different state) however morally its unfair as it could limit others who generally want to move to NSW in that occupation.

I am sure others will give you answers, I just get nerked people abusing the system.

On a completely different topic- My husband is the main applicant for the visa, we are aware that HE cannot work self employed for the first two years. My question is if I were to become an independent distributor for a company in the uk whilst we are still here, would I be able to continue once we moved to Oz? If so what and how would I need to do this?

When you hold either a 189 or 190 visa, you can work for anyone you'd like including self-employment.

Thanks for replying, really wasn't trying to abuse the system, trying to get a better understanding of State sponsorship. We'd like to go to Queensland.

I thought you needed to live in Oz for 2 years before you started your own business? Are these conditions for a different visa? We've just done so much to get to Australia that I really don't wan to do anything that is going to send us home packing as soon as we are there. Thanks.

Thanks for replying, really wasn't trying to abuse the system, trying to get a better understanding of State sponsorship. We'd like to go to Queensland.

I thought you needed to live in Oz for 2 years before you started your own business? Are these conditions for a different visa? We've just done so much to get to Australia that I really don't wan to do anything that is going to send us home packing as soon as we are there. Thanks.

There's no rule that says you have to live in Oz for 2 years before you start a business, for any visa, as far as I'm aware. Both of you can start your own business from day 1.

Starting a business in Australia is fairly simple. You apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN) and off you go. If your turnover is going to be over $75,000 a year, then you need to also register for GST (VAT) - it's probably a good idea to avoid that to start with, because it is much more complicated than VAT (you have to submit quarterly returns). You'll have enough to get your head around in the first few months, IMO.

Buy a package like Quickbooks that will sync with your bank account and will do the GST reporting automatically.

You may want to live in Queensland but your visa allows you to live in NSW, so that's where you'll need to start. You don't need to live there forever so you could plan to move to Queensland in a few years.

I can understand you preferring Brisbane to Sydney because Sydney is frighteningly expensive, especially if you're planning to start new businesses. It would be worth researching prospects in the Newcastle area.

https://abr.gov.au/For-Business,-Super-funds---Charities/Applying-for-other-registrations/Apply-for-GST,-PAYG,-business-name-and-AUSkey/

We came over on 189 visa and are living in Perth

If you manage to get a 189 visa without state sponsorship, then you can choose to live anywhere you like. However some people can't qualify for that visa so they have to get a state to sponsor them. If you get a state to sponsor you, then you sign a commitment that you will work in that state for at least 2 years. Only fair, since they sponsored you on the understanding they'd get some benefit.

Archived