Teaching in Australia

Wellsy2004

Hi all, I'm currently working as a teacher and would like to teach in Australia. However, the degree that I qualified with is not recognised in Australia and the AITSL have said that I would not be certified to work as a teacher. This has meant that I cannot apply for the 190 visa that I was hoping for. I'm trying to find out if there is any way around this issue. Can I apply for a different visa or is there anything that I can do in the UK to help me get the 190? Any advice would be greatly received. Many thanks.

Hi all, I'm currently working as a teacher and would like to teach in Australia. However, the degree that I qualified with is not recognised in Australia and the AITSL have said that I would not be certified to work as a teacher. This has meant that I cannot apply for the 190 visa that I was hoping for. I'm trying to find out if there is any way around this issue. Can I apply for a different visa or is there anything that I can do in the UK to help me get the 190? Any advice would be greatly received. Many thanks.

What is your degree?

What is the issue with the degree? Did AITSL give you any information?

To teach in Australia, four years of university study is required, whether that is by means of a three year Bachelor followed by a one year PGCE, or a four year Bachelor of Education. You cannot register with any of the teaching registration boards in Australia unless you fulfill that requirement.

If the issue is that your degree is only three years in length, then you will need to top up with one more year of study, preferably in a related area.

Edited by Sammy1

Hi, thanks for your response. My degree was a 3 year BA (Hons) in Primary education with QTS. I will look into completing an extra year of study if this will help.

Yes, that is your only option. You will not be able to teach anywhere in Australia without four years of tertiary education. The same applies for Australian graduates.

It is also important to note that there is a huge over supply of primary teachers here, so perhaps consider secondary education as an option as well.

Edited by Sammy1

Yes, that is your only option. You will not be able to teach anywhere in Australia without four years of tertiary education. The same applies for Australian graduates.

It is also important to note that there is a huge over supply of primary teachers here, so perhaps consider secondary education as an option as well.

Agree with this, primary does seem to have a vast number of teachers and far to few posts to go round. Other than in the rural/country areas. If you teach primary, I'd really do your homework if you are intent on migrating. And even if you do, be prepared for it to be tough in the built up areas and cities.

Permanent contracts are few and far between and one year contracts at primary level can see hundreds of applicants, many of them local and often some known to the school via supply work. Supply teaching also has big numbers of people available. Our local school has a folder that is a big old door stop type thing with the applicants for supply work. Teachers tend to get to know and use the same people over and go to them first before resorting to unknowns, continuity reasons and all that. So often, once the school year gets going, many of those available won't hear anything for work.

A friend of ours walked into a nice Teaching job in a Catholic School when she went over (Mellie), so it's not all doom and gloom folks.

B

Nobody said it was all doom and gloom. I am just giving a perspective as someone who has taught here for a long time and knows the recruitment situation very well. It's lovely that a friend of yours 'walked' into a job, but that is not the norm in the current climate.

Edited by Sammy1

Nobody said it was all doom and gloom. I am just giving a perspective as someone who has taught here for a long time and knows the recruitment situation very well. It's lovely that a friend of yours 'walked' into a job, but that is not the norm in the current climate.

Totally agree Sammy. Before I retired I was an HR Consultant with the Dept of Education in WA, and I have to endorse all that you say on posts and all the information you post on here is absolutely accurate. Well done... you beat me to posts all the time.... Love your posts.

Hi, thanks for your response. My degree was a 3 year BA (Hons) in Primary education with QTS. I will look into completing an extra year of study if this will help.

Ditto. I have the same qualification and feel your pain! It is an absolute nightmare and I am still trying to decide what to do about it!

However, I rang the registration board in NSW and they said I would be likely to get conditional registration to teach casually whilst getting my extra year in order to be provisionally registered.

I have two children both with teaching degrees, my son is teaching and he is a permanent teacher with the Vic Education Department. To get the permanency after he did his post grad he worked in a remote school in Victoria. He was single and he knew he needed to do this. He was also male and teaches science and maths. Good combination. Latterly there have been discussions around that there are not enough male teachers and of course this is so. Some primaries are desperate to get male teachers. My daughter on the other hand is also a teacher but she is not teaching, why because her specialty is only taught in years 11 and 12 and therefore there are not a lot of jobs around. So she gave it up and went into commerce for a job. She may return to teaching at some time and keeps her hand in but at this stage no. In Victoria public system most teachers are on contract. A lot of the jobs that are advertised are already filled, just have to be advertised. Sitting teacher on contract staying for another contract. Private system is different and a lot of teachers choose to teach private.

We have a lot of graduate teachers in Victoria these days and there are a lot of teachers who have worked in other areas and have degrees who get post grad and enter the teaching profession. so I believe there is no shortage of teachers in the large cities in Aus. Shortages are usually in remote areas like my son went to at the start of his career. That said he loved it and he made many friends through those years

Just be patiend, make sure you have four years and be flexible and things work out.

Ditto. I have the same qualification and feel your pain! It is an absolute nightmare and I am still trying to decide what to do about it!

However, I rang the registration board in NSW and they said I would be likely to get conditional registration to teach casually whilst getting my extra year in order to be provisionally registered.

Be careful with that "likely" comment as I doubt very much that any Teacher Registration Board in Australia will give you any sort of temporary registration with a three year qualification. Also if you are in Australia and pursuing the further year of teacher training at university, you will be classed as an international student and the feels will be horrendous. Not insurmountable of course, just very expensive.

Yes this is true. I worked for two years as a casual with conditional registration, as my degree is also 3 years.

However, I´m now enrolled on a Special Education Masters to enable me to apply for a 189/190 visa to return permanently. Primary Teachers are not on the SOL so if you are going to do another year of study I wouldn´t do it in Primary Ed, as you still won´t qualify then. I´m appyling as an SEN teacher. Unless, you do the Masters in Australia.

If you are using teaching as a basis for a visa application then you will need four years of study, even if a teaching board was to consider your three year degree for casual work (not usual).

To pass a skills assessment for a visa you must have four years of university study, AITSL will not accept anything less.

If you are using teaching as a basis for a visa application then you will need four years of study, even if a teaching board was to consider your three year degree for casual work (not usual).

To pass a skills assessment for a visa you must have four years of university study, AITSL will not accept anything less.

Yes absolutely Sammy. I had mine rejected and would not apply to AITSL until I have my other year. There is no chance of being accepted which is why I will take my fourth year of study.

Yes this is true. I worked for two years as a casual with conditional registration, as my degree is also 3 years.

However, I´m now enrolled on a Special Education Masters to enable me to apply for a 189/190 visa to return permanently. Primary Teachers are not on the SOL so if you are going to do another year of study I wouldn´t do it in Primary Ed, as you still won´t qualify then. I´m appyling as an SEN teacher. Unless, you do the Masters in Australia.

Thank you for this. I wasn't making it up. That's what I was told.

So if I do a Special Ed Masters in UK or Australia would this qualify me to do that job even though I've never studied or worked in a special school?

Also, isn't primary teachingon the CSOL and therefore, as long as you can get sponsored by NT, is it ok to apply that way?

Be careful with that "likely" comment as I doubt very much that any Teacher Registration Board in Australia will give you any sort of temporary registration with a three year qualification. Also if you are in Australia and pursuing the further year of teacher training at university, you will be classed as an international student and the feels will be horrendous. Not insurmountable of course, just very expensive.

Thanks,but I was definately told this information and have it in an email from the dept.

I realise the cost of international fees, so I was thinking of doing a UK masters (distance learning)?

Thank you for this. I wasn't making it up. That's what I was told.

So if I do a Special Ed Masters in UK or Australia would this qualify me to do that job even though I've never studied or worked in a special school?

Also, isn't primary teachingon the CSOL and therefore, as long as you can get sponsored by NT, is it ok to apply that way?

I was on a working holiday visa though when I did the casual. I ended up doing most of the casual in special schools (and found that I really liked it) because there is a lot more work than in primary schools, in Sydney anyway. But yes, on the AITSL site it says a 3 year primary degree plus 1 year special ed masters qualifies you as an SEN teacher.

I haven´t seen that primary ed is on the CSOL? Otherwise if it is you could probably do that.

QTS means absolutely nothing in Australia.... so if you want to teach here you will need another year of study at university level.