Moving back to the UK with Aussie hubby

Ems31

Hi, I am new here so I am sorry if I am repeating something previously asked. I am a dual citizen as are our two children. My husband is Australian, we are looking to move to the uk however I am slightly confused which visa I need to apply for and do I need to have a job lined up before leaving? I'm not currently working and was hoping not too straight away once back as we have s newborn.

Thsnk you for your help in advance.

Hi, I am new here so I am sorry if I am repeating something previously asked. I am a dual citizen as are our two children. My husband is Australian, we are looking to move to the uk however I am slightly confused which visa I need to apply for and do I need to have a job lined up before leaving? I'm not currently working and was hoping not too straight away once back as we have s newborn.

Thsnk you for your help in advance.

Your hubby needs to apply for a spouse visa. It's the only option for him. He should have no problem getting one as he is married to a British citizen - BUT there is one big sticking point. He has to meet the financial requirement, there are no exceptions.

That means you EITHER need £62,500 in savings OR you need a job lined up in the UK, with a salary of at least £18.500.

If you go the savings route, then the money must have been in the bank for at least 12 months, unless it's the proceeds of a house sale.

Thank you for your reply. Oh so it's really easy then!!!!! That's what I had thought from the bit of reading I had done although I thought the savings was 6 months not 12. We possibly might be able to go the savings route if we do some remortgaging I guess although mortgage insurance will need to be paid which is frustrating. My dad runs his own company back in the uk and said I could work for him if I need to just while we settle in (it's not what I want to do long term). Do they require you to work so long in the position?

Oh I just read your little story bit! I see you were in a similar situation and you are moving back now. Did hubby hate the uk?! I'm so worried my very Aussie hubby won't like it

Oh I just read your little story bit! I see you were in a similar situation and you are moving back now. Did hubby hate the uk?! I'm so worried my very Aussie hubby won't like it

Funnily enough, I'm the one who doesn't like living in the UK! I had been away for 30 years so maybe it's not surprising. But the main reason we're going back is that we've found it's not affordable due to tax and pension issues, which aren't going to worry you.

You don't need to remortgage. Sell the house and move into rental accommodation, then he just needs to attach proof of sale to the visa application and that exempts you from the 12 month rule.

I know moving into a rental is a bit of a hassle, but in practice it's easier than trying to coordinate completing the sale on your house with booking flights, shipping furniture etc.

Have you checked his ancestry to see if he has a UK born grandparent lurking in there anywhere? In which case he could get a much easier ancestry visa. If not that, then does he have European ancestry which migh bag him an EU passport which would allow him to live in UK. If you go the spouse visa route there are some benefits which you, as a citizen, might be entitled to but you would be denied because you can receive nothing which might indirectly benefit your spouse. Can't remember what these are, sorry, but my Canadian friend tells me there are some family payments her DH can't claim because the family en toto are to have no recourse to public funds.

Have you checked his ancestry to see if he has a UK born grandparent lurking in there anywhere? In which case he could get a much easier ancestry visa. If not that, then does he have European ancestry which migh bag him an EU passport which would allow him to live in UK. If you go the spouse visa route there are some benefits which you, as a citizen, might be entitled to but you would be denied because you can receive nothing which might indirectly benefit your spouse. Can't remember what these are, sorry, but my Canadian friend tells me there are some family payments her DH can't claim because the family en toto are to have no recourse to public funds.

After the EU vote I wonder if holding an EU passport will count for squat in terms of being able to migrate to the UK.

After the EU vote I wonder if holding an EU passport will count for squat in terms of being able to migrate to the UK.

I hope not as my husband & I are moving over in a few months & I have a European passport. I would think it a bit silly if the UK did that though as countries in the EU would do the same back to them..

Even if the vote is "out" (which I sincerely hope it is), Europeans will still be able to immigrate but it might even the playing field for Commonwealth pp holders too.

Thanks for all the replies. We can't sell our house at the moment without losing too much on it so will probably have to remortgage to get the cash.

Yes hubby's dad is Croatian so he is entitled to a eu passport, however looking into getting one it seems it can take about 3 years as Croatia don't seem very organised.

I bet you are right in regards to claiming any benefits (not that I intend to) although I would like to have the option of the 16 hours free childcare when I start work again. I wonder if it's just hubby that isn't entitled and I am fine.

Funnily enough, I'm the one who doesn't like living in the UK! I had been away for 30 years so maybe it's not surprising. But the main reason we're going back is that we've found it's not affordable due to tax and pension issues, which aren't going to worry you.

You don't need to remortgage. Sell the house and move into rental accommodation, then he just needs to attach proof of sale to the visa application and that exempts you from the 12 month rule.

I know moving into a rental is a bit of a hassle, but in practice it's easier than trying to coordinate completing the sale on your house with booking flights, shipping furniture etc.

Oh sorry it's not worked out for you. Had your husband settled in well to U.K. Life? I have been in oz 10 years now and I loved it before I had children and when mining was booming, now I think having the children just makes me want my family close.

i spoke to my mortgage advisor and he thinks we can sort something out with mortgage to have the cash we need in an account. We can wait 12 months as we are aiming for 18 months time. If we sell we will lose too much on the house right now unfortunately.

Oh sorry it's not worked out for you. Had your husband settled in well to U.K. Life? I have been in oz 10 years now and I loved it before I had children and when mining was booming, now I think having the children just makes me want my family close.

i spoke to my mortgage advisor and he thinks we can sort something out with mortgage to have the cash we need in an account. We can wait 12 months as we are aiming for 18 months time. If we sell we will lose too much on the house right now unfortunately.

....so does that mean you wouldn't sell your house when you move to the UK?

It only takes about 3 months to get your spouse visa from application to approval, so you wouldn't need to sell your house until you're almost ready to go.

I would definitely recommend starting the process of getting the Croatian passport in the meantime. You might be lucky and it will come through faster than you think - and that way, you'll be able to get benefits etc. You won't if your oh is on a spouse visa. Also, a spouse visa is only for 2.5 years - then he'll have to go through the entire process again, and that will give him the right to stay another (I think) 5 years. Then he'll have to go through the whole thing again .... you can see how the Croatian passport would work better!

30 hours I believe now, so my sister told me last week....when I told her our kindy is $89 a day here!

I thought that was just the pre school aged kids.

When we made use of the UK 15 hours free childcare we could use it for our son to attend nursery/pre school for a year or so. We got him into a nursery group (so it rented a church hall every day) and he did 5 mornings a week, 3 hours a time. And we could only use certain places as not all childcare places (ie a childminder we used) counted. Also private kindys with higher fees would still charge more.

Also there are varying views on if the 30 hours free for pre schoolers is even going to prove viable or if many places will offer it or the effect it may then have on fees for younger ones attending.

ETA - Iirc Aus pre schoolers get their X amount of free hours kindy the year before starting school, similar sort of set up to the UK it seems. I used to pay between £40-50 per day for a private childcare nursery place in England. This was going back 6 or so years ago also now, so not cheap then.

Thanks for all the replies. We can't sell our house at the moment without losing too much on it so will probably have to remortgage to get the cash.

Yes hubby's dad is Croatian so he is entitled to a eu passport, however looking into getting one it seems it can take about 3 years as Croatia don't seem very organised.

I bet you are right in regards to claiming any benefits (not that I intend to) although I would like to have the option of the 16 hours free childcare when I start work again. I wonder if it's just hubby that isn't entitled and I am fine.

It doesn't quite work like that with the childcare that I am aware of. The pre school stuff is currently covered for all for 15 hours a week. A lot of places this is a morning nursery or some over 2.5 days or some such.

https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/free-childcare-and-education-for-2-to-4-year-olds

You will need to pass the habitual residence test before you can claim benefits. The visa conditions will be for your husband, not you. There is info on the CAB website about this

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/the-habitual-residence-test-an-introduction/

If tax credits are still running in the UK, it may be worth seeing if you are eligible. However, you may not get a penny. I don't know the ins and outs of it anymore as I've not had dealings with them for a few years.

The 30 hours of childcare isn't coming into play until the latter end of 2017 at the earliest. My youngest is in nursery and he will only get 15 hourecs free from the term after his 3rd birthday, and seeing as hes an October baby won't get it til January for the followinv year. Not all childcare providers are able to use the free hours. We're lucky as the nursery we use sortd it all out for us n we just sign a form.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

If the referendum votes out then citizens of EU countries will no longer have an automatic right to reside in the UK (& likewise British citizens will no longer have the right to reside in EU countries) - there will I am sure be transitional arrangements - it won't be a case of the borders closing on 24th June & I cannot see current residents being required to move back (but sadly I could be wrong there)

However, anyone planning on using an EU passport to move to the UK is best advised to get on with it!

Nothing will change for at least two years, even if we vote out.

Iam voting out ...but with so many of the cabinet belonging to the " in" campaign ,and all the elites that support them ,do you really think they are going to set us free ?

The bstards will drag their feet ,and if its close there will be another vote until we change our minds ....we are not even pawns in the game

I thought that was just the pre school aged kids.

When we made use of the UK 15 hours free childcare we could use it for our son to attend nursery/pre school for a year or so. We got him into a nursery group (so it rented a church hall every day) and he did 5 mornings a week, 3 hours a time. And we could only use certain places as not all childcare places (ie a childminder we used) counted. Also private kindys with higher fees would still charge more.

Also there are varying views on if the 30 hours free for pre schoolers is even going to prove viable or if many places will offer it or the effect it may then have on fees for younger ones attending.

ETA - Iirc Aus pre schoolers get their X amount of free hours kindy the year before starting school, similar sort of set up to the UK it seems. I used to pay between £40-50 per day for a private childcare nursery place in England. This was going back 6 or so years ago also now, so not cheap then.

£40-50 a day in the UK?!? WOW

When we left in 2013 we were paying £9 a morning from 8-12.30 (or £12 from 8-3) .....and even that £9 was only payable after we had used the 15 hours free.

£40-50 a day in the UK?!? WOW

When we left in 2013 we were paying £9 a morning from 8-12.30 (or £12 from 8-3) .....and even that £9 was only payable after we had used the 15 hours free.

I'm talking about a private nursery/childcare where a child attends all day and can do so from a few months of age. Daycare. A proper daycare place for a child to enable parents to work full time hours can cost a big chunk of income thats for sure. Gov funding only kicks in for the pre school year and not all daycare facilities offer those places.

The 15 hours gov funded pre school is of course great and we paid similar to you or nothing at all for his place where he attended a kindy for 3 hours a morning over 5 sessions. But that is very different from a daycare place that either doesnt accept the gov funded or still will charge a chunk on top in fees. Or one which your child attends from before pre school age.

Archived