Citizenship Australian

Hello looking for some help. My partner has had pr for 30 plus years. Strangely out of the blue today he said he wants to get citizenship not sure why? After all this time? Lived in Australia most of this time apart from two years in the nineties when he lived in the UK. Will he need to get a police check from the UK for this time? If yes how do we get one? Any help will be good. Thanks.

Ok thank you. Still in shock that he wants to do it to be fair. He's always been determind not to get it. Strange man.

No he won't need one.

Yes, he will need one. He spent more than 12 months in total in the UK while over the age of 18 and while an Australian Permanent Resident. For this type of citizenship application it doesn't matter how long ago the time overseas was.

You get them from the Association of Chief Police Officers. Apply online at https://www.acro.police.uk/Police_Certificates_Online.aspx

Ok thank you. Still in shock that he wants to do it to be fair. He's always been determind not to get it. Strange man.

:laugh:

My OH has two friend who have been in Australia for over 30 years too and out of the blue, over the last couple of years both decided to become citizens. Both married to Australians with children born here. Seems to be when they became grandfathers it spurred them on to do it. Strange after all those years though.

• 1 month later...

I would recommend anyone to get citizenship as soon as they can. a PR won't protect you from deportation should you come into any "character issues". Not that I am encouraging anyone to get into trouble, but sometimes trouble comes to your door :(

Archived