Sponsorship advice needed please.

nicmark

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help on a sponsorship query i have.

My son is a forming joiner, has completed two years of a working holiday visa and is currently on a student visa due to finish in October.

He may have the opportunity to be sponsored.

The questions we have are,

His employer has never sponsored anyone before, it is a small firm of approx 5 other workers, how difficult is it?

Can he be sponsored now or does he have to complete his student visa first?

and

Does he need a skills assessment?

Thank you in advance

nik

First of all they need to look into whether they're eligible to sponsor anyone. Then they need to check whether he's eligible to be sponsored (does he have the required qualifications? Does he have the required experience?) Then they need to prove they can't find any local applicants (which means advertising and proving they get no suitable applicants).

I'd say they need to engage a MARA registered agent to guide them through the process, for a small company it's a complicated process to manage on top of their daily workload.

First of all they need to look into whether they're eligible to sponsor anyone. Then they need to check whether he's eligible to be sponsored (does he have the required qualifications? Does he have the required experience?) Then they need to prove they can't find any local applicants (which means advertising and proving they get no suitable applicants).

I'd say they need to engage a MARA registered agent to guide them through the process, for a small company it's a complicated process to manage on top of their daily workload.

Thanks for your reply Marisa,

We've spoken to and been let down by agents unfortunately that's why I wanted some advice from the amazing people on here.

He qualified in the UK over two years ago. His apprenticeship is formwork joinery. His most recent agent tells us he needs a skills assessment but I've also read he doesn't.

Things are so confusing and we're just not happy to give even more money to agents.

Cheers

nic

If the sponsoring company have never sponsored before then they are in for a shock too. Lots of hoops to jump through to meet the requirements to be a small business sponsor.

Pretty sure he'll need a skills assessment. Whether he'll pass it is another matter.

He qualified over two years ago, but he's been on a WHV for the past 2 years, so he's unlikely to have the required experience. (Depends what "over 2 years ago" means. 3,4,5,6 years ago?)

Best to contact one of the agents who post on the forums here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the sponsoring company have never sponsored before then they are in for a shock too. Lots of hoops to jump through to meet the requirements to be a small business sponsor.

Pretty sure he'll need a skills assessment. Whether he'll pass it is another matter.

He qualified over two years ago, but he's been on a WHV for the past 2 years, so he's unlikely to have the required experience. (Depends what "over 2 years ago" means. 3,4,5,6 years ago?)

Best to contact one of the agents who post on the forums here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply Suzukiscottie

I think you're right. Prob more hassle than it's worth. It's just been a really difficult process.

He qualified 6months before his WHV so has a years experience in oz. And Only 6 in the UK.

Heres hoping someone has some good advice. He really doesn't want to go home.

cheers

nic

The company will need to appoint a registered migration agent as it isn't just a case of them deciding they want to sponsor. There are lots of hoops to jump through. These include advertising the position and proving there were no suitable candidates. They will also need to establish things like the training bench mark - there is a requirement that they can prove they have spent a certain minimum amount on training.

But, even if they achieve that, there is a risk that immi knock back the sponsorship on the basis that getting a very junior trades person shouldn't require sponsorship and they are being VERY picky at the moment.

The company will need to appoint a registered migration agent as it isn't just a case of them deciding they want to sponsor. There are lots of hoops to jump through. These include advertising the position and proving there were no suitable candidates. They will also need to establish things like the training bench mark - there is a requirement that they can prove they have spent a certain minimum amount on training.

But, even if they achieve that, there is a risk that immi knock back the sponsorship on the basis that getting a very junior trades person shouldn't require sponsorship and they are being VERY picky at the moment.

Thanks for your input.

I think it's definitely a long shot but do you know if he would need to do a skills assessment?

Cheers

nik

Archived