Me Again, so bloody confused

kaiapoilady

hey everyone

I was asking the other week about Victoria vs Queensland..Anyway spent last week in Melbourne (son lives there), I have been offered a job in Melbourne (Collingwood area).

Myself and hubby just so shocked by the house prices, it's almost unaffordable, even earning good money to buy a house in a nice area.

I almost at the point to turn down the job and go to Brisbane where it is cheaper to buy a home.

We have looked at places like Doreen, Mernda..no train station there as yet. However been told that Mernda is opening soon, still bloody expensive and still a commute to work.

We are in our late fourties both of us so don't want to take on a massive mortgage now, we can afford up to around $460,000 k, and that's probably the max too be honest..

Really don't know what to do

Any suggestions

Yes, you just have to keep looking further out and weighing up the the local amenities with the requirements to live in the area and commute to work elsewhere. Millions do it.

We're in the same age bracket as you and it'll be another year or so before we'll be looking to buy, once we're finished with local schooling for the kids, and likely then to be moving further away from the city and the current local area where we rent (and love!).

Suzukiscottie

Thanks for your reply, yes I am finding the whole thing rather stressful too be honest...Doreen seems to have quite a lot of local shops there, and I guess will get better as time goes on, not too far to Eltham which is nice.

We are currently living in Sydney and I can't wait to leave this place, beautiful but damn expensive.

I have seriously thought about not accepting the job and moving to Brisbane which is so much cheaper then Melbourne and Sydney

Guest The Pom Queen

Unfortunately Melbourne has grown and grown and people are now living over 2 hours away from the CBD to get affordable property. I don't know how far out you want to be. Berwick, Cranbourne, Lynbrook, Lyndhurst, Point Cook should have something in your price range and a train station close by.

The median price for Melbourne houses has passed $700K.

So I assume if you only can spend $450K you will struggle to get anything nice.

You could rent in Melbourne for a year, see how you like it and hopefully the market may have corrected in a year.

You could look at Sunbury, a commute but at least its the same side of the city as Collingwood for work. Four bed houses where I live on Mornington Peninsula medium price is now 540,000 three beds mid four hudreds. Town Houses and Villa Units are cheaper if you are not fussed about a garden.

Thanks Petals

Do you know if Sunbury has a train station, or plans to have one if not??? What do you know about the area in general, we like peace and quiet, a little bit country, with main facilities, and were not fussed about eating out heaps, we would go into the city maybe once a month or so

Cheers for now

You could also look towards Seaford / Langwarrin which is where we are. We currently rent in seaford but just waiting for settlement on the house we have just bought in Langwarrin. . an hour by train to cbd on frankston or cranbourne lines. approx 10-15 minute drive to either station from langwarrin. Close enough to frankston for the facilities, without being, well, frankston.

And another dilemma I have is getting short term accommodation at a reasonable price, I start my new job in Collingwood in a week and still can't find anything reasonable without having to sign a 12 month lease and I don't want to do that really...Any suggestions anyone, I am getting pretty desparate

And another dilemma I have is getting short term accommodation at a reasonable price, I start my new job in Collingwood in a week and still can't find anything reasonable without having to sign a 12 month lease and I don't want to do that really...Any suggestions anyone, I am getting pretty desparate

Hi - we did exchange private messages in September about our apartment - we are currently booked but have some availability from 5th June - does that help?

BB

Hi

Yes I do remember and thank you for your message, I seem to remember you are on the Peninsular, is that right?? I am not going to have a car to start with are you walking distance to the train station..Everywhere I have looked at is so expensive for short term or they want a 12 month lease, I don't want to do that really..The dates could probably work for me, I would just have to stay with my son for a couple of weeks, but he has flat mates, so not ideal really..Anyway what do you charge again?? Can I confirm with you tomorrow... I am almost at the point of heading back to NZ, as I have had enough, but I know deep down that it will be the wrong decision

Hi

Yes I do remember and thank you for your message, I seem to remember you are on the Peninsular, is that right?? I am not going to have a car to start with are you walking distance to the train station..Everywhere I have looked at is so expensive for short term or they want a 12 month lease, I don't want to do that really..The dates could probably work for me, I would just have to stay with my son for a couple of weeks, but he has flat mates, so not ideal really..Anyway what do you charge again?? Can I confirm with you tomorrow... I am almost at the point of heading back to NZ, as I have had enough, but I know deep down that it will be the wrong decision

We are not on the peninsula, we are in Mordialloc in SE Melbourne, about 12 mins walk from the train station.

Here is the link with details -

http://www.lifeinvictoria.com/forum/accommodation-available/3880-self-contained-studio-apartment-rent-close-beach-train-station.html#post19742

BB

Sunbury has a station. In fact it has had a station for nearly 170 years. It is now part of the suburban network but it still has a green belt between it and the city. Mix of country town/ suburban feel. Plenty of tree lined streets as well as new estates. Your $450,000 will buy you a nice place there. Something like this is typical http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-sunbury-122258558

Lots of local facilities as it is a bit of a regional centre. Plenty of shops, pools, library, cinemas and places to eat. Trip to the city about 40 mins on the train. Driving is not too bad (bu Melbourne standards) but you will face congestion on the last trawl through town to Collingwood. Colder at night and in the winter than Melbourne. Quite a lot of local employment.