are we crazy to do not use a migration agent?!?

mummyoftwo

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but can see me posting lots more moving forward..I've been a lurker for a long time and have found the forum very helpful since I found it!

My husband and I have recently started the process of moving to Oz and would like to hear if anyone has done it without an agent? We are submitting a 189 with my husband being the main applicant and know we'll have enough points. So we're thinking it should be a straight forward application and we could save ourselves some money by not using an agent - or are we crazy doing it on our own?!?

I look forward to hearing from others on their experience!

Many thanks

Laura

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going it alone too. So far, so good. Successfully navigated skills assessment on my own, done my english test, and just submitted my application for State Sponsorship. This forum is definitely helpful when you have questions

Can anyone tell me how you edit posts..just noticed a typo in the title line but have no idea how you make changes? Probably a good idea I do know how to lol.

There should be a button 'Edit Post' underneath the post you want to change

WE have debated using an agent also. We are a straightforward 189 and hubby has passed IELTS and has his skills assessment done and completed so I think we are going to give it a go.

My only worry is we have had to get a form 1229 completed due to me taking children from previous marriage. He has signed and certified so I think there should be no issues but I am worried about getting it all right.

There is a wealth of information and I think if its straightforward then there is no reason why you couldn't do it.

Thanks ABG, can't believe I didn't spot that right in front of me! Good to hear it's so far, so good for you.. good luck with the rest of it. My husband has sorted out of his skills assessment and done the test a few weeks back..

WE have debated using an agent also. We are a straightforward 189 and hubby has passed IELTS and has his skills assessment done and completed so I think we are going to give it a go.

My only worry is we have had to get a form 1229 completed due to me taking children from previous marriage. He has signed and certified so I think there should be no issues but I am worried about getting it all right.

There is a wealth of information and I think if its straightforward then there is no reason why you couldn't do it.

Thanks for your reply..I can understand why you would worry, but like you say there should be no issues :-) It's such big thing to do isn't it you just want to get it all right.. we've been talking about it all day and I think we're just going to go for it alone and save the money so we have more to go with.

It's always a tough call. When I migrated 30 years ago, I didn't even think of using an agent - but it was a heck of a lot simpler then! The big risk is that if you get one little thing wrong, they won't always come back to you and give you a chance to fix it - sometimes they just reject you outright and you've lost your money. So an agent is like an insurance policy, I suppose. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but can see me posting lots more moving forward..I've been a lurker for a long time and have found the forum very helpful since I found it!

My husband and I have recently started the process of moving to Oz and would like to hear if anyone has done it without an agent? We are submitting a 189 with my husband being the main applicant and know we'll have enough points. So we're thinking it should be a straight forward application and we could save ourselves some money by not using an agent - or are we crazy doing it on our own?!?

Many thanks

Laura

Hi

We did our own application and yes, you can definitely manage the process without an agent. Clearly an agent is more helpful if your application is not straight forward... If you have a straight forward 189 visa and your occupation is on the skills shortage, then I would say you can do it yourself no problem.

My key tips would be:-

1. Organisation and preparation is essential. There is a lot of paperwork to collect and complete (whether you use an agent or not). Make a full list of what you need and get on with it.

2. You must have a positive skills nomination and your results of your English language tests (if applicable) BEFORE you submit your EOI.

3. Make sure you understand what points you have for each category on your EOI - Don't claim for anything you can't fully back up with evidence.

4. Form 80 is optional and a pain in the back side, but I strongly advise you to complete this upfront. This makes it easier for the DIBP to issue you with a direct grant...

5. With your chosen occupation and your level of points, you can work out roughly how long it should take to get an invite (assuming nothing changes in the new occupation year starting July 1st). If it relatively short (say a couple of months), then I would advise you to request an HAP ID in advance and do your medicals BEFORE you get an invite.

Why do all of this.... I have watched many people drip feed the documentation to the DIBP and in the majority of cases this causes a long delay. Every time your immigration official asks you a question or asks for more documentation, add 2 months to your waiting time.

If you do the preparation and front loading of documents like I state above, then when you get that all important invite email, you are ready to rock and roll. Front load ALL of documents (Skills nomination, form 80, medicals, etc), which minimises the chance of the agent asking for more info and speeds up your grant.

Mine took about 6 weeks (August 15 invite - Sept 15 grant).

Best of luck to you all.... let me know if I can help with any more advice...

Hi All,

Many thanks

Laura

Hi Laura - I've seen from another post you have made your husband is an accountant (for his sins) just like me. I am sure he knows this already, but it would be helpful to get a minimum of 70 points due to the high number of applicants and few places. Secondly, get your EOI submitted ASAP, just in case the accountancy profession is removed from the SOL in July. I am not saying it will of course, but it was halved last year and has been at risk of removal for a few years.

I don't mean to scare you, but I would get moving on this just in case...

Guest Priscilla101

I applied without an agent for a 189. Applied Jan. Visa granted March. It's not that hard. It's designed to be done by individuals (ie not having to spend more money paying someone else) mine was slightly complicated in that my ex husband, father of my child likes to live off grid. So has no id. Or bills. Making immigration question if I actually got him to sign the papers. But with simple communication (wrote a note and scanned it in explaining my circumstances) my visa was granted.

You can do it

It depends on your circumstances. For us, I don't regret not using an agent. My husband was self-employed so that required a lot of extra work for the skills assessment, and I had to to have a health undertaking. I much preferred being in control of our own destiny rather than paying someone else, and we managed fine.

Hi Laura - I've seen from another post you have made your husband is an accountant (for his sins) just like me. I am sure he knows this already, but it would be helpful to get a minimum of 70 points due to the high number of applicants and few places. Secondly, get your EOI submitted ASAP, just in case the accountancy profession is removed from the SOL in July. I am not saying it will of course, but it was halved last year and has been at risk of removal for a few years.

I don't mean to scare you, but I would get moving on this just in case...

Thanks for both of your replies Pommie, I really appreciate it. That's exactly what we said we'd do, get everything ready to upload for when we submit the application. We are getting moving quickly with it so we can submit our EOI asap and we are aware it was halved last year.. we've talked about moving for years so have finally said enough talking, lets just do it.

Do you mind me asking whereabouts you are now based seeing as you are a management accountant? We have found ourselves going round in a full circle with the destination..firstly it was Brisbane, then Perth for a short while before thinking my husband would probably struggle to find a decent job. We then thought Sydney, but started to go off the idea due to the cost of buying a property, so we have found ourselves back to square one and set our sights on Brisbane..

We did it all ourselves. Having an agent or not won't actually increase your 'viability' - that's simply a matter of fitting the specs required - it's the same either way.

All a (good) agent does is help you, advise you, guide and maybe take care of some of the process. And they do a good job. If you can afford it and want less stress, then it's probably not a bad thing at all. We consulted with a few and got some good ideas that way.

But - if you do the research you can sort it yourself. It's just more work, and you get wrapped up in it all for a while. You can mess it up, but as it's expensive most people don't (why would you want to waste all your time and hard-earned money!) We never had enough money to use an agent, so we did it ourselves. If you application is 'safe' and you can claim the right number of points and you are on the skills list, it's fine.

The forum is your friend. I would imagine most, if not every question you need to ask has been asked here before... The immi site actually has a decent guide too. It's a set of steps, you just do them one at a time. Then you apply and pay loads of money, pay loads of a Bupa medical and you wait and then it's done.

I agree it is relatively simple to do it yourself. On the other hand, we engaged an agent for a straightforward family of 4 because oddly I love to be in control, which also includes knowing exactly what is going on and getting straight answers quick. There are plus and minuses either way. If you feel comfortable doing it yourselves then go for it because the extra cash will be great, but for me the anxiety of getting everything "just so" was worth the cost. It all comes down to either a complicated application or a stupid anxious to get it all right personality! Good luck, sure you will be fine.

Hi All,

Many thanks

Laura

Hi Laura.

You raise the risk of not getting a visa if you do it yourself.

Whether that is a worthwhile risk and has been worthwhile financially will only become known when a decision is made on your application.

Best regards.

Hi All,

Many thanks

Laura

Loads of people successfully do the application themselves, I started with an agent but then took over and was much happier being in control. As you have already done your skills assessment, I would say the hardest step is behind you now.

Sometimes people can make horrendous mistakes through rushing and being over enthusiastic e.g. seen so many people come on and say they have done their EOI before they have started skills assessment. So if you are going to do it by yourself, just make sure you read, read, read and keep in touch with a forum like this.

" As you have already done your skills assessment ..."

=> I respectfully disagree. The skills assessment process for accountants is a relatively low bar to clear.

The issue of calculating points - and in particular what is (and isn't) skilled work experience is often a key aspect of the application.

Best regards.

PS. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/457-visa-plan-dumped-as-government-focus-changes/news-story/5143b5f5fae9498e5ae57ada75d42c27

With changes to the skilled visa program on the agenda a need to move quickly with the support of a proactive migration advisor may well be a key issue ...

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said his department had done a “significant” amount of consultation on “developing options to reform the skilled visa system to ensure that it is best placed to support Australia’s economic future”.

“The government understands that the current skilled migration and temporary activity visa programs are difficult to navigate,” Mr Dutton said.

“We are committed to smarter regulation in this area, improving integrity in our visa programs and increasing the contribution of skilled migration to Australia’s productivity and economy.”

The department has told a Productivity Commission inquiry into migration that it was working on “significant” reform of the skilled migration and temporary activity visas that are “expected to improve Australia’s competitiveness and ability to attract highly skilled migrants”.

Migration agents have to make a living for sure. And I gather the good ones do a good job, and make it a lot easier for you. If it's affordable then it's probably a good idea!

It's pretty stressful, and at some point you need to pay a chunk of money to the Australian government and the other checks. The overall cost of the whole visa and migration are considerably high, and if we had used one, an agent wouldn't have been the main cost. Then you have to move for real and all that jazz. It's going to suck up at least £20k - for us it was more... So - the whole thing costs a lot.

But if you don't have a big pot of money, you're not selling up and don't know if you'll stay in Australia, it's totally possible to not use one. But you really have to be on the case. If there was any 'risk' element to your case an agent would probably help. They certainly know (or should know) all the ins and outs of the process. But they can't actually change your facts as they are, your eligibility - although if you need to do certain things before you can apply, they should know exactly what that is and could help in that way.

In fairness we were pretty 'low risk', as my wife was a Nurse, and they were #1 on the skills list at the time. We didn't have enough money to do it all really, and still don't have enough - but we are here. With a crappy old car and second hand furniture... So for us, not choosing an agent was in no way a slight on Migration agents. We simply didn't have the cash. If we did, we may well have hired one!

I would suggest that you post how you have calculated your points as others will let you know if anything looks incorrect :)

I would suggest that unless the OP's supporting documents are posted for all to review and comment upon the higher risk nevertheless exists. Best regards.

I would suggest that unless the OP's supporting documents are posted for all to review and comment upon the higher risk nevertheless exists. Best regards.

I would suggest one step at a time.

A points breakdown can be critiqued and further info can be requested. An agent can be reached at a later date if the OP doesn't feel comfortable or other members suggest it may be a sensible approach.

I don't see any harm in seeing how far you can get for free :)

I did not use an agent either and I am typing this from Bondi right now :)

I would suggest one step at a time.

A points breakdown can be critiqued and further info can be requested. An agent can be reached at a later date if the OP doesn't feel comfortable or other members suggest it may be a sensible approach.

I don't see any harm in seeing how far you can get for free :)

I did not use an agent either and I am typing this from Bondi right now :)

All of which is a more risky approach than instructing a professional advisor from the start.

How are you going to assess the position without sight of documents (eg employment related paperwork)?

Archived