Why are salaries in the UK so ... low ... compared to Aus?

syd

Why do you think you wouldn't pay council tax or water rates? If you're renting a flat you won't pay them direct - but the landlord has to pay them, so their cost is built into your rent. If you own a place, you'll be liable to pay them. If you own a flat or townhouse, you'll have to pay quarterly strata fees on top.

We would be renting first off, so no council tax or water rates and most people would see how much they would pay for rent before

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brother has a decent 1 bed just outside Sydney CBD paying $2500, not sure he could get an equivalent place in London for £1250 a month, but I cannot say for sure

"Equivalent" in what sense? Did you not see my post above where I said we rented a 2-bed HOUSE "just outside" London for £1,400? We now rent a 3-bed semi "just outside" London for £1,400 a month. And both of those are "decent", thank you very much.

:err:

"Equivalent" in what sense? Did you not see my post above where I said we rented a 2-bed HOUSE "just outside" London for £1,400? We now rent a 3-bed semi "just outside" London for £1,400 a month. And both of those are "decent", thank you very much.

Be fair, how is "just outside London" equivalent to "just outside Sydney CBD"? "Just outside Sydney CBD" means in the inner suburbs surrounding the central business district - probably equivalent to Chelsea.

We would be renting first off, so no council tax or water rates and most people would see how much they would pay for rent before

Not sure how that makes a difference. Like I said, your landlord pays those anyway, and will set the rent high enough to cover those costs - so you are paying them anyway. It's easy enough to find out what council tax you'll pay before you rent in the UK - we did. And in some states in Australia, the tenant does pay water useage rates.

I literally meant just outside the CBD, one suburb out, 20 mins to work. And I do know how big our lovely London can get :wink:

Not sure how that makes a difference. Like I said, your landlord pays those anyway, and will set the rent high enough to cover those costs - so you are paying them anyway. It's easy enough to find out what council tax you'll pay before you rent in the UK - we did. And in some states in Australia, the tenant does pay water useage rates.

Rents are based on what the market is willing to pay not on what the landlord wants. Especially so with the deluge of units hitting the market. Otherwise why is anyone negative geared?

Are you saying that somehow in Australia you don't pay council tax and water rates ?

Yes as a renter like the majority of people on 20k

Your saying the council tax and water rates aren't included in rent ? The landlord doesn't pay them out of the goodness of their heart, that is why rents are so high in Australia.

Rents are pretty low in Brisbane.

Be fair, how is "just outside London" equivalent to "just outside Sydney CBD"? "Just outside Sydney CBD" means in the inner suburbs surrounding the central business district - probably equivalent to Chelsea.

The best comparison I can make for a fairly similar like for like is;i

A family member is renting in Paddington Sydney, small terrace reasonable condition, small garden $750 per week, nice area.

We rent out a small terrace reasonable condition small garden, ex council in Islington London, not the best area, 576 pds per week, plus the tenant pays council tax.

In answer to the original question, some people earn more in Australia, some people earn more in the UK and others earn about the same in both countries. Some people have a better lifestyle in Australia, some have a better lifestyle in the UK and others enjoy a similar lifestyle in both countries.

In answer to the original question, some people earn more in Australia, some people earn more in the UK and others earn about the same in both countries. Some people have a better lifestyle in Australia, some have a better lifestyle in the UK and others enjoy a similar lifestyle in both countries.

But the average wage is higher in oz than the UK. Which was the question.

Depends what you mean by 'Central Business District' - if you're talking West End, it might well be only 20 minutes travel from Chelsea. If you're talking The City, I'm afraid it's about the same travel time as from our place in Zone 5... In which case, Stratford would be a better comparison and you can certainly get a lovely new one-bed flat there for under £1,250 pcm.

Depends what you mean by 'Central Business District' - if you're talking West End, it might well be only 20 minutes travel from Chelsea. If you're talking The City, I'm afraid it's about the same travel time as from our place in Zone 5... In which case, Stratford would be a better comparison and you can certainly get a lovely new one-bed flat there for under £1,250 pcm.

I'd personally say that London doesn't have a CBD. There's the West End, City of London, Canary Wharf...I suppose the CBD could be summarised as zone 1 but definitely not as compact as the Sydney version!

A fair summary of this thread......and countless other threads of similar ilk.

But the average wage is higher in oz than the UK. Which was the question.

And I missed that detail, sorry!

Easy - the average wage is higher in Oz because the minimum wage is higher - the currently published statistics wouldn't include the new Living Wage, so you're comparing $17.29 in Australia with £6.70 in the UK. So the large number of people on minimum wage would be pulling down the average.

Easy - the average wage is higher in Oz because the minimum wage is higher - the currently published statistics wouldn't include the new Living Wage, so you're comparing $17.29 in Australia with £6.70 in the UK. So the large number of people on minimum wage would be pulling down the average.

Yes absolutely right. Also of course the difference between the minimum wage in each country varies wildly depending on the exchange rate.

I think that's the problem with trying to find a like for like comparison, Sydney's centre is very compact and the theatre district and the business centre are only a short walk apart. The inner suburbs are walking distance too - when I lived in Paddington I used to walk to work - and I'd imagine that's the kind of inner suburb the other poster was talking about. What are rents like in areas that would be walking distance to central London?

Guest Guest109139

It has actually risen to £ 7.20 if older than 25.

http://www.minimum-wage.co.uk/

I think Also in many low end jobs you have no chance of getting paid more than the minimum wage in the UK. When there are so many Eastern Europeans now competing for same jobs with lower wage expectations and a higher work ethic it is tough for many. The Labour Party support of the EU I find a strange one...

Salaries higher up the chain probably aren't that different but the working class get really shafted in the UK.

In Aus, average salaries in the digital space are around $100-130k and often $140/$150k too.

In the UK, the same jobs are in the £35-40k range, which is $65-$85k. That's almost half of what you can earn in Aus.

How do people manage to work and live and commute and save in London at £35k, when it's hard enough doing so at double the salary in Sydney? Is London cost of living HALF that of Sydney's? The rents aren't much cheaper, that's for sure.

Or am I missing something?

The polar opposite of when I came in 1999, Aus wage some 50% less of what I was getting when I left the UK! Oh no! what have I done? how will we manage? no complaints then and certainly not complaining now:smile:

Archived