Pool Leak on in-ground pool

calNgary

Our pool has sprung a leak somewhere and is losing water. It is an in ground fiberglass pool surrounded by a row of tiles then concrete. We are currently trying to eliminate parts to 'try' and work out where the leak is . I have had the pump turned off for 3 days now and water levels are still dropping so i'm presuming it isn't the pump / filter leaking... Its around 9 years old now and i think my biggest concern is having to rip up all the concrete.

As anyone in Brisbane had a similar issue at any time and who did you get to repair it. My hubby is quite handy and his friend has the drainage camera's so will probably give that shot but other than You tubing for advice i am a bit stuck as to what to do next..

I guess the only consolation is swimming season was just about over for us until September, so i can afford to have it 'go green ' on us without the kid's complaining,lol

Cal x

Your fiberglass pool should have a relief valve at the bottom of the deep end can you see any bubbles coming in from there remember they may be very small? or from around the inlet jets? It could also be the pipework around the pool there are guys around (ask your local pool shop) that can listen for leaks through the ground, other than that you could let the pool drop below the skimmer box and inlet jets (and lights if you have them) and see if it drops any further below these, this would then prove the pipework. If you have any plants growing nearby their roots could damage the pipework as this is what happened with mine.

good luck but I would call in the experts to better pinpoint the fault rather than second guessing.

Your fiberglass pool should have a relief valve at the bottom of the deep end can you see any bubbles coming in from there remember they may be very small? or from around the inlet jets? It could also be the pipework around the pool there are guys around (ask your local pool shop) that can listen for leaks through the ground, other than that you could let the pool drop below the skimmer box and inlet jets (and lights if you have them) and see if it drops any further below these, this would then prove the pipework. If you have any plants growing nearby their roots could damage the pipework as this is what happened with mine.

good luck but I would call in the experts to better pinpoint the fault rather than second guessing.

Thanks for the advice,,Worse case for me would be its the underground pipe work due to the concrete... I checked the 'plug' and it looks ok, no bubbles that i can see, so i am now trying to eliminate the light (which is just under skimmer box), jets and skimmer box... Just don't want the water level to drop massively but hopefully if its one of those it will drop as far as the light and no more. (would hate the sides to be damaged due to lack of water).

Cal x

No plants but there are a few small trees growing just on left of the pic behind the colorbond fence which is a few feet past the pool fence (can't be seen in this pic). [ATTACH=CONFIG]33340[/ATTACH]

Nice! It looks a good size, the pool safety sign looks miles off lol! Nice coping too, neat and clean. The aforementioned pool at the house we looked at needing resurfacing, the coping was ok but randomly had massive rocks concreted onto it, nightmare trip hazard when cleaning!

Cal, it looks like your block slopes down to the right on the picture? is there any noticeable damp or greener grass area's?

Also looks relatively new so could be settlement around the pipes affecting weak/poor pipe joints, is it dug into clay material or was it more rock like ground . Doubtful you would damage your pool even if, in the short term, it completely emptied and if it did that then you know your problem is at the bottom, but best try and keep it at least over half full to be on the safe side.

Cal, it looks like your block slopes down to the right on the picture? is there any noticeable damp or greener grass area's?

Also looks relatively new so could be settlement around the pipes affecting weak/poor pipe joints, is it dug into clay material or was it more rock like ground . Doubtful you would damage your pool even if, in the short term, it completely emptied and if it did that then you know your problem is at the bottom, but best try and keep it at least over half full to be on the safe side.

It slopes down behind the pool shed but we haven't noticed any puddles of water or damper ground than usual, we have had a few showers this last few days so hard to check but only seems as damp as other areas on the land. It will be 9 years this year since it was fitted and the soil is crap, and is more clay than anything. The company who fitted it were bobbins so poor workmanship underground wouldn't surprise me ,although i thought it would have happened before now if this was the case.

Paisleylass its just a touch over 12 mtrs long, just over 4 mtrs wide and 2mtrs deep,when buying i asked locals with pools what their regrets where and most said not having it deep enough to dive in as the kids grew up, so i wanted the deepest one so our kids didn't outgrow it and this was the one the pool guys came up with.

Cal x

Wow Cal, that's a great size! My dream!! Where we rent it's 7.75 by 4 metres, but with the huge step it's more like 7m swimming length. I swim diagonally to get a slightly longer run-up heh.

Pythagoras says you have created an extra metre that way - 8.09m based on a 7x4 pool.

Its dropped to an inch below the skimmer box and stayed there. I still havent had the pump on so its looking a bit yakky .The 'camera' guy is coming next weekend to put his camera down the pipes and things to find the leak, at least we know approx what height the break is at, where ever it is ,,lol

We used Barrier Reef and didn't have a very good experience with them all all ,from start to finish.

Cal x

• 1 month later...