Does experience count!

SARAH1974

Hi all - just after some advice. I am a PQ Management Accountant (CIMA) but have worked as one for 10 plus years (as well as being a Finance Manager and Fleet Manager). Does experience count towards obtaining a visa or are visa's granted based on qualifications? I could get my head down and pass the last exams if required but wanted to find out what my current chances are as things stand. Thanks!

Hi Sarah,

I've been told and read on lots of posts that only post full qualification experience counts on CIMA, I am waiting for my Skills Assessment back from CPA to find out for sure! I applied on the 7th April so should be another week or so to receive it. I qualified Sept 2014 so wont score any points for experience (boo). If you have a Finance degree you can ask them to assess that instead? Julia

Hi Julia - Unfortunately I don't have a Finance degree so can't go down that route. I've read that the CPA qualifications can be studied from the UK and are generally easier than CIMA / ACCA so I may look at this as an option. What was the skills assessment like? Have you thought about applying for any jobs in the hope of getting sponsored?

No I don't either! I think you can study them by distance learning. How many CIMA exams have you got left to do?

I believe you can apply to one of the other accounting bodies with only part qual for your Skills assessment but it isn't guaranteed it would be positive. Its probably worth the money to give it a try? (It kind of depends how many other points you have, you need 70 really to get in fairly quickly and there is a huge backlog of 65 pointers to about October 15).

For the Skills Assessment you have to sit the IELTS or PTE academic test first (£160) then its about £250 for the Skills assessment. You just have to gather all of your certificates and results, Letters from each previous employer with breakdown of your duties and IELTS results then send them off by email.

Do you have a degree? I was in a similar boat, I left my log book for a while after finishing the exams, however I have a degree in accounting also so I used that for my skills assessment.

I was not allowed to claim 1 years work experience though as it was before I finished my degree, I was working alongside fully qualified accountants doing the same job with the same job title etc. So I would guess you may not be able to claim the experience.

Hi both - no degree unfortunately. I've been working in Finance since I was 18 but unfortunately that doesn't see to help. Do you have any advice on the best point checker website? I'm 42 but my partner is 38 and is a Senior Project Manager so we are just trying to work out our best option to apply as a family (we have a 19 month old daughter).

I have quite a few exams to do but I'm only working PT so could potentially take them all in the next 12 -18 months. I'm thinking he might have more chance than me as he has a degree and age is on his side!

Hi both - no degree unfortunately. I've been working in Finance since I was 18 but unfortunately that doesn't see to help. Do you have any advice on the best point checker website? I'm 42 but my partner is 38 and is a Senior Project Manager so we are just trying to work out our best option to apply as a family (we have a 19 month old daughter).

I have quite a few exams to do but I'm only working PT so could potentially take them all in the next 12 -18 months. I'm thinking he might have more chance than me as he has a degree and age is on his side!

Hi

It sounds like your husband would have the best chance of getting a visa, as he would get more points for being under 40 and would also get points for experience if he has a degree to be assessed with. Also as said above the accountant category is extremely competitive meaning 65-70 points are needed at the moment whereas your husband may only need 60.

This is assuming his occupation is on the SOL. I believe construction project manager is so if his duties matched that he would be ok.

Hi all - just after some advice. I am a PQ Management Accountant (CIMA) but have worked as one for 10 plus years (as well as being a Finance Manager and Fleet Manager). Does experience count towards obtaining a visa or are visa's granted based on qualifications? I could get my head down and pass the last exams if required but wanted to find out what my current chances are as things stand. Thanks!

Accountant is actually one of the very few occupations that does not require any work expeirence, this is highly unusual as most others requires some. But unfortunately that does mean that no, you cannot get a positive skills assessment based on experience. Someone with an accounting degree or a passed finalist can pass a skills assessment, I am not sure that a part qualified could, or if they did th would have to be very close to the end of the exams.

It is hard to say if your husband is a better candidate, what kind of project manager is he e.g. IT, construction, finance, something else?

It might be better to see if your husband can be the main applicant. This is not only due to you being doubtful, but accountant is flagged for removal from the SOL list this year due to a long standing over supply of accountants. As you may not be able to be in a position to lodge an EOI prior to July 1. I recommend you examine your husbands chances

Hi Julia - Unfortunately I don't have a Finance degree so can't go down that route. I've read that the CPA qualifications can be studied from the UK and are generally easier than CIMA / ACCA so I may look at this as an option. What was the skills assessment like? Have you thought about applying for any jobs in the hope of getting sponsored?

My hubby is ACCA (with degree) and is currently studying the CPA in the UK before we move, so that could be an option for you. DH only has to sit 4 exams in total as he was exempt from the rest. He has one exam left to do and it's a resit, he only failed by one mark :confused: His general feeling is that CPA is harder than ACCA, but whether that is because he is now out of the "habit" of studying ect I don't know. Im sure he passed his skills assessment on the ACCA alone and not any experience, but can ask him for more info if you need any. We also got through when it was still only 60 points required a few years ago. 70 points does not seem like fun, I'd try your hubbys job if possible.

Good luck in whichever route you choose xx

My hubby is ACCA (with degree) and is currently studying the CPA in the UK before we move. He only has to sit 4 exams in total as he was exempt from the rest.

Did your husband feel this would increase his employment prospects ? Or is there another reason for studying CPA ? I was considering doing the same but having just gone through my ACCA during the last 3 years while working full time and with a young family I wasn't sure if the extra effort was necessary....

Did your husband feel this would increase his employment prospects ? Or is there another reason for studying CPA ? I was considering doing the same but having just gone through my ACCA during the last 3 years while working full time and with a young family I wasn't sure if the extra effort was necessary....

From his conversations with recruitment agencies so far it does not sound like it will have much benefit to be honest as ACCA is fully recognised in Aus. We felt it may give him an edge though and hopefully it shows his commitment to all things Australian if you know what I mean. His current company have also paid for the majority of it (with no training contract) so he would of been crazy not to really.

It has been hard for him getting back into studying though, oh how I have not missed the long evenings and the studying mood swings :laugh: Good luck if you do decicide to do it :wubclub:

Studying for CPA is pointless, please do not waste your time. For a start, anybody that knows anything about Australian accountancy will know that CPA is a second best to CA anyway. It is multiple choice, open book exams and considered much easier that CA and indeed much easier than ACCA.

Australian employers are not in the habit of writing CA /CPA "or equivalent" on their job advertisements, they will tend to just mention the Australian qualifications, but this does not mean they do not understand that somebody that qualified overseas will have an overseas qualification. They do understand this and they will be perfectly happy with a UK qualified accountant. Accountancy travels well and is really not much different in one country to the next.

The issue at the moment is certainly the over supply of accountants, the job market is very competitive, but CPA is not going to help with that. Tell your hubby to be proud of his qualification, studying CPA on the side is almost an admission that the ACCA qualification is not good enough, it won't build confidence in employers.

From his conversations with recruitment agencies so far it does not sound like it will have much benefit to be honest as ACCA is fully recognised in Aus. We felt it may give him an edge though and hopefully it shows his commitment to all things Australian if you know what I mean. His current company have also paid for the majority of it (with no training contract) so he would of been crazy not to really.

It has been hard for him getting back into studying though, oh how I have not missed the long evenings and the studying mood swings[emoji23]Good luck if you do decicide to do it :wubclub:

Thanks for the info. Would you mind if I PM'd you a few quick questions re. exemptions, study, exams ?

Studying for CPA is pointless, please do not waste your time. For a start, anybody that knows anything about Australian accountancy will know that CPA is a second best to CA anyway. It is multiple choice, open book exams and considered much easier that CA and indeed much easier than ACCA.

Australian employers are not in the habit of writing CA /CPA "or equivalent" on their job advertisements, they will tend to just mention the Australian qualifications, but this does not mean they do not understand that somebody that qualified overseas will have an overseas qualification. They do understand this and they will be perfectly happy with a UK qualified accountant. Accountancy travels well and is really not much different in one country to the next.

The issue at the moment is certainly the over supply of accountants, the job market is very competitive, but CPA is not going to help with that. Tell your hubby to be proud of his qualification, studying CPA on the side is almost an admission that the ACCA qualification is not good enough, it won't build confidence in employers.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have been considering it since I got my PR last month.....

Is CA vs CPA the Aus version of the ACCA vs CIMA battle by any chance? :wub: :laugh: :wubclub:

Is CA vs CPA the Aus version of the ACCA vs CIMA battle by any chance? :wub: :laugh: :wubclub:

No it isn't. In UK the ACCA, CIMA and CA are deemed equivalent according to an examination supervisory body. The argument is purely marketing and the qualification somebody has can depend upon the first employers choice to a large extent (mine picked ACCA, I didn't have a choice).

In Australia, the CA is definitely the qualification that the more academically inclined ones will do. I wouldn't say CPA is like AAT in the UK, but definitely will not be looked upon in the samey as CA.

I'm here looking for work at the moment and getting a lot of traction with recruiters and companies alike.

A few companies at interview stage though have asked me about CPA / CIMA. I have been told by 2 large companies that their auditors insist on a Australian qualification for more senior positions.

Only having CIMA doesn't stop them recruiting me, but it could hinder my career progress.

As a CIMA qualified accountant this isn't a big issue as I can obtain CPA almost instantly due to their reciprocal arrangement with CIMA.

So their could be some issues. But nothing major.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y520-U12 using Tapatalk

No it isn't. In UK the ACCA, CIMA and CA are deemed equivalent according to an examination supervisory body. The argument is purely marketing and the qualification somebody has can depend upon the first employers choice to a large extent (mine picked ACCA, I didn't have a choice).

In Australia, the CA is definitely the qualification that the more academically inclined ones will do. I wouldn't say CPA is like AAT in the UK, but definitely will not be looked upon in the samey as CA.

It was a question in jest... seems to be a running joke/debate for my hubby and his CIMA colleagues.

At the end of the day I am sure each professional qualification has pro’s and con’s and suits individual career paths differently. My hubby has chosen to do CPA, that does not mean he believes his ACCA is inadequate or anything along those lines. He is Head of Finance for a FTSE 100 company and has spent a lot of time discussing options with his counterparts in the Australian division and CPA was the recommendation that consistently came out on top for his circumstances. As you say, sometimes it is dictated by employers and because of that he has also spent a lot of time researching independently and felt that was the way for him to go. Beyond that I can’t comment as I am not an accountant and will not even begin to pretend to understand the detail, but I trust his judgements and decisions when it comes to his career. The OP was enquiring as to if it is possible to study the Australian qualifications in the UK and my post was merely to advise that they can, not to debate which or what is better, becase I really do not know :embarrassed:

I'm here looking for work at the moment and getting a lot of traction with recruiters and companies alike.

A few companies at interview stage though have asked me about CPA / CIMA. I have been told by 2 large companies that their auditors insist on a Australian qualification for more senior positions.

Only having CIMA doesn't stop them recruiting me, but it could hinder my career progress.

As a CIMA qualified accountant this isn't a big issue as I can obtain CPA almost instantly due to their reciprocal arrangement with CIMA.

So their could be some issues. But nothing major.

What a pile of utter codswallop. I was one of the most senior accountants in a major Australian company, say one of the top twenty people in a team of 900. It was the role I walked into and secured whilst I was still in the UK. I gave presentations at CPA luncheon events and in better times, my colleagues would be high fiving down the corridors is they had managed to recruit a UK qualified accountant. Stand tall and be proud of your accomplishments.

What a pile of utter codswallop. I was one of the most senior accountants in a major Australian company, say one of the top twenty people in a team of 900. It was the role I walked into and secured whilst I was still in the UK. I gave presentations at CPA luncheon events and in better times, my colleagues would be high fiving down the corridors is they had managed to recruit a UK qualified accountant. Stand tall and be proud of your accomplishments.

Just saying what I've been told at interviews.

I agree its daft. But if that's what they want, then not a problem. I would always still describe myself as CIMA qualfied, not CPA.

Archived