Initial jump

OffshoreSam

Hi looking for some advice about the initial move across. When you guys are leaving the UK where are you staying initially when you get there? Ive been reading that rental agents wont rent unless they physically see you. So just wondering are people staying in hotels?

Confused.com

Frank

Hi looking for some advice about the initial move across. When you guys are leaving the UK where are you staying initially when you get there? Ive been reading that rental agents wont rent unless they physically see you. So just wondering are people staying in hotels?

Confused.com

Frank

No need to be confused. Hotels, serviced apartments, holiday / caravan parks ....

Can you recommend any good sites? i have came across airbnb so far but thats it

Well I don't like Airbnb myself, but seems to work for some.

We booked five weeks in a serviced apartment which I found by googling "serviced apartments Sydney".

Expedia, hotels.com, booking.com, wotif.com are a few of the usuals for hotel options.

http://www.big4.com.au for the holiday park options.

We've also found airBnB to be really good. And we have used stayz to find holiday accomodation in Australia previously, so you could try either. Or simply try typing in to google 'self catering accommodation xxx' or 'holiday apartments xxx' (where xxx is the area you are wanting to stay).

Just google holiday lets for the are your looking at moving too, you will get loads of options pop up. Remember furnished / holiday accommodation is more expensive than longer term rentals but you really need one for your first 3 or 4 weeks.

Its not just that agents won't rent you a house unless they see you in person, as the odd one or two will. Lots of properties advertised look nothing like they do on the pictures so its very very risky to commit to a 6 or 12 mths rental when you haven't seen it in person.

When you do finally rent one,you will be given an 'entry inspection' form listing any issues, paint chips etc throughout the home,, go through that report with a fine tooth comb as you will be charged for any little ding, oil stain, chipped tile etc that is not on that list when you come to leave the home at the end of your tenancy.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

• 3 weeks later...

Archived