Differences between states

starlight7

Apart from the obvious weather differences do you think there are differing attitudes and values in the different states? Obviously going to be some generalisations here but, who cares? I think, personally, there are quite a few differences and when you cross some of the borders its like entering another country!

Haven lived in NSW and WA, I think massive differences.

Obviously big differences in laws and things, but certainly different cultural. Sydney was much more like London, while Perth was much more like Manchester. The eastern states are home to many more professionals and that is evident in the cultural offerings available - in Sydney there was a lot of dance productions, contemporary arts and things. WA much more a burger and chips place

Also the beach thing-you don't have it to the same degree in Victoria ( it is there but not so much). When we lived in Tassie it was different again, what I thought of then as a bit old fashioned, similar to NZ. Good for them- not as swayed by 'fashion' as some of us.

Haven lived in NSW and WA, I think massive differences.

Sydney was much more like London, while Perth was much more like Manchester. The eastern states are home to many more professionals and that is evident in the cultural offerings available - in Sydney there was a lot of dance productions, contemporary arts and things. WA much more a burger and chips place

You may very well say so, I wouldn't dare! But yes, I think there's some truth in that.

Most people who are involved in the arts will tell you that Melbourne has even more going on than Sydney.

Other than that, I think it's difficult to comment because not many people have lived in two different states for any length of time. I lived in Victoria for a while, but that was in the country which is nothing like Melbourne at all!

You may very well say so, I wouldn't dare! But yes, I think there's some truth in that.

Most people who are involved in the arts will tell you that Melbourne has even more going on than Sydney.

Other than that, I think it's difficult to comment because not many people have lived in two different states for any length of time. I lived in Victoria for a while, but that was in the country which is nothing like Melbourne at all!

I have no idea what Perth is like now but when we lived in Sydney there is a great deal to do there. I can think of 8 theatres off the top of my head and I'm sure there are more than that. In Newtown/Enmore you could eat at a different restaurant twice/three times a week for a year easily - probably much more than that and a huge abundance of cafes serving very good coffee. Have to admit I miss that sometimes here but there are lots of other things to make up for it.

I have no idea what Perth is like now but when we lived in Sydney there is a great deal to do there. I can think of 8 theatres off the top of my head and I'm sure there are more than that. In Newtown/Enmore you could eat at a different restaurant twice/three times a week for a year easily - probably much more than that and a huge abundance of cafes serving very good coffee. Have to admit I miss that sometimes here but there are lots of other things to make up for it.

I meant in terms of performing arts. Not saying VeryStormy is wrong, just saying that Melbourne takes the crown when it comes to dance or theatre (at least that's the perception within the dance community).

I meant in terms of performing arts. Not saying VeryStormy is wrong, just saying that Melbourne takes the crown when it comes to dance or theatre (at least that's the perception within the dance community).

The only dance company I went to fairly regularly was the Sydney Dance Company in Walsh Bay. There are also 4 dance studios and a very good casual dining restaurant there too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived