References for job application

I've been asked to provide 3 references. They must be contactable by phone to give full answers to questions about my work and character.

Is this normal practice in Oz?

My last job in the UK (contract via an agency) asked for 2 referees but didn't bother to contact either!

Also I believe that UK references are just statement of fact confirming employment and not about character.

Yeah pretty standard. I think in the UK, employers are really only allowed to state the dates you worked, how many sick days, and whether they would employ you again.

I have an employer currently chasing my references here in the UK, she says she would rather speak to them than email so she doesn't just get a generic reply.

I've been asked to provide 3 references. They must be contactable by phone to give full answers to questions about my work and character.

My last job in the UK (contract via an agency) asked for 2 referees but didn't bother to contact either!

Also I believe that UK references are just statement of fact confirming employment and not about character.

Yes, pretty standard, most phone and follow up with at least one.

I worked as a manager in Australia for 20 years and I'd say two is more normal, but yes I would always contact the referees before hiring someone. And yes, I would do it by phone not by email - because bosses are often reluctant to put things in writing for fear of being sued. They'll tell you the truth on the phone!

This is one of the snags of being a migrant, because lazy recruiters may not be bothered to go to all the hassle of ringing up referees at awkward hours (due to the time difference) - so they'll hire the Australian person instead. You can reduce that risk by asking your UK employers for written references, giving the recruiter more confidence that the references will be good so you're worth the effort.

I work in health and when we've contacted employers it is to ask specific questions against the selection criteria and not just about confirming employment and character.

For anyone about to make the move, I'd definitely go with the advise by Marisa about getting some written references before you leave the UK. Having them gives a bit of reassurance to the employer that the phone call will be just routine.

A lot of big corporations have a policy of only confirming that you were employed and the dates, that happens inside and outside of Australia.

UK references are fairly useless, hence the 'Oz experience' issue. They're too HR-centric and offer up no real evidence of you as an employee. I brought written references and recommendations with me from the UK, all were pretty much ignored, more than 1 interviewer suggesting that I could have done them myself; which, to be fair, I couldn't disprove.

Telephone refereeing seems to be the norm.

Many years ago I had an interview with IBM. I had references to give them but they didn't want them. Was told they don't use them as they can be easily faked. On top of that, in Canada (at least Ontario) it's illegal to give a bad reference.

Archived