gippsland area

RVN

Hi all,

Just throwing it out there. What is the Gippsland area like as a place to live? Thinking hypothetically about relocating from Central West NSW to the Victorian area. Sick of the bus, heat and dry and drought - hubby had enough of current situation and its make or break time...

Ideal areas for two working adults (Veterinary/Aged care industries and mechanical) and one 16-18 year old high school student.?????

Areas good for equestrians/agistment? ???

employment chances?????

any dodgy NO GO areas....

schools?????

Weather - if its cold and wet..yippeee :) or are Fires a massive problem????

links to Melbourne???

Pros cons hit me with it all...

Sorry lots of questions....

cheers....

I know a couple in their late 50s who have moved to Gippsland to the town of Korumburra. They are loving it and say it's the best thing they have ever done. Korumburra seems to have all the facilities they need. They got a brand new house for just over $300,000 but said there were plenty of older houses around $200,000. It's 15 mins to the coast, 50 mins to the major centre of Cranbourne and an hour and half to Melbourne where they go regularly to watch AFL at the MCG.

Gippy is a big place - there are nice bits and hmm watch your back bits. On balance, if were I to relocate anywhere it would be quite attractive but getting a job might potentially be tricky. I'd definitely rate it above central West NSW

Floods and fires are definitely things to bear in mind but, then, same could be said for anywhere non urban in Australia. I have a soft spot for Orbost apart from the flies in summer but I wouldn't rate HS education there unfortunately.

If you can get jobs, give it a whirl! (I always fancied Poowong, just for the name!)

You might want to check out the educational implications though - the 16-18 is a bit of a worry moving from HSC to VCE could be tricky depending on whether it's 16 or 17 or 18!

The in-laws are in Gippsland (various relos spread between Warragul and Lakes Entrance). It has its positives; it's great country, lots of outdoor recreation, good transport links. Minus points: it burns; the husband grew up there and even though we don't live in a bushfire prone area he gets twitchy on hot days when the wind has "that feel" about it. There's also locally towns with high unemployment but you'll find that anywhere and I feel I should insert a joke about Country Victorians here too (married to one. I can get away with it).

It's a really nice part of the world, it is suffering from over-development in places and it does get drought affected too, make sure you're on town water wherever you go. There's lots of people here who have made the move around Warragul and seem to like it - I hear too many war stories about it so wouldn't personally go there. There are some nice little towns further east along the highway though.

I quite like Gippsland as a rural area. Parts of it resemble what Americans think England looks like - gentle rolling green hills, Mr Darcy riding on his white horse to see Lady Jane, that sort of thing.

Warragul seems to be an area where people like to live. Probably best to avoid Morwell.

BB

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/morwell-police-understand-the-full-effects-of-ice/news-story/589d8190b2de790544e4311e990b38cf

http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/story/3259964/bad-publicity-plagues-morwell-real-estate/

Just for for starters but Morwell has never really had a great reputation. This, from a bloke on a cyclists forum back in 2009 probably suggests why

Morwell, Moe and Churchill ahave a bad reputation for alcohol and drug abuse in the youth population, we have a large population of Indigeneous Australians and we are starting to get an influx of African refugees who have nothing to do down, I mean we have NOTHING to keep kids off the streets except footy and netball. The total population of the 4 major centres here is 73,982 and we have 4 Bike stores, we have 2 velodromes and every town has a skate park and or dirt jump. Mountain biking is a major sport and

Edited by Quoll

I know Gippsland very well and as others say, there are nice parts and not so nice parts. We used to go to Mirboo North a lot and that has a nice community though a bit remote. Then Boolarra where my daughter's house burnt down- another lovely little community but even more remote. Leongatha is ok but hasn't gone ahead like Wonthaggi. Coastal towns vary too- Venus Bay is very sleepy, very pretty ( we had a house there for 20 years), Inverloch a bit more going on, still quiet but at least it has a few doctors( none at V.Bay) I have been told that Cape Patterson has a drug problem and same with many of the Latrobe Valley towns. Avoid them is all I can say. Warragul is a nice town within reach of civilisation and experiencing a growth spurt - daughter lives there, nice golf club if you are into that.

Morwell is a great place if you like living on the doorstep of an open cut mine that doesn't have the greatest fire supression measures - look up the Hazelwood Mine Fire and the effect it had on Morwell, wasn't the first time it had gone up either. You've also got a huge powerstation nearby that burns the brown coal, and the whole place kind of smells because of it. It's cheap, but there are far nicer places around. personally I like the little towns around Mt Baw Baw but what the job situation is like there I couldn't say.

Thank you so much once again for replying. Ok thats interesting.. Unfortunately I want it all.. LOL min 5 acres within 1 Hr reach of coast, min half hour to supermarche, good transport links into city (for jobs or a day out etc), a solid house that wont fall down with a nice green garden (lol) and nice friendly neighbours.... oh and nice clean drug free residents LOL.... all under my budget of $400K......aaaaghhhh.... ok have to be realistic and know compromise is the key. I feel a reckie visit is in order... I love where I currently live but my husband doesn't. We are approx 1.5 hours to nearest big town and I'll admit I am starting to miss decent shopping centres and a cinema.. and no trainlines or bus links and sinking our tinnie in our small dam doesn't quite cut the mustard. Work has been difficult to come by and I worry for my daughter when she leaves in yr 12.

• 4 months later...

Have a look at Warragul. We looked hard at it and really liked it, but it's too far to commute daily to the CBD. But close enough to Pakenham/Cranbourne for services, and a decent town with shops, cafes etc. Train service back to the big city, or a drive of about an hour and 20 off peak to the centre of Melbourne. Green, rolling country around and affordable housing.