Partner visa 820

Bubble88

Hiya,

I am Australian and my partner is British. We have been "together" since April 2015 where we spent a month together but we were then separated until October. Since October we have been living together in the UK but are moving back to Aus in June. He is going to enter the country on a 3 month holiday visa (already used a work visa) and then apply for the onshore visa with hope he gets a bridging visa so he can stay.

we have our applications ready to go all the proof etc just wondering if anyone else has gone through this? I see a lot of offshore applications but none onshore and it's a little concerning that maybe we are going about it the wrong way, the reason why we were doing it this way is because I earn more money in Australia and need to get back there for work commitments which is stated in my personal statement.

Hiya,

I am Australian and my partner is British. We have been "together" since April 2015 where we spent a month together but we were then separated until October. Since October we have been living together in the UK but are moving back to Aus in June. He is going to enter the country on a 3 month holiday visa (already used a work visa) and then apply for the onshore visa with hope he gets a bridging visa so he can stay.

we have our applications ready to go all the proof etc just wondering if anyone else has gone through this? I see a lot of offshore applications but none onshore and it's a little concerning that maybe we are going about it the wrong way, the reason why we were doing it this way is because I earn more money in Australia and need to get back there for work commitments which is stated in my personal statement.

Since the price went up last year there are now far more people applying onshore than offshore. Arriving on a tourist visa seems to be the way to go these days.

Those of us waiting for the PR stage to be granted are seeing our timelines get longer and longer as more people apply onshore with no extra staff to cope (the Temp Spouse stage gets priority over the PR stage when it comes to processing).

So even though we were together in April and I had my flight booked for October (due to work and another holiday booked) that can't count? From what we've read it says you're allowed to be not living together for short periods of time with good reason?

we have phone records and emails during this time of seperation.

When you spent the month together in April, were you merely dating or were you living as a defacto couple where bills and leases etc were shared? There is a difference.

Make sure that you have collected lots of evidence of your defacto status (shared named bills, joint leases) from October to the present day, that is really important.

Lots of people apply onshore, just be aware that if immigration suspect there is an ulterior motive for your partner coming out on a tourist visa, they could theoretically send him home at the airport. Unlikely, but it can happen.

When you spent the month together in April, were you merely dating or were you living as a defacto couple where bills and leases etc were shared? There is a difference.

Make sure that you have collected lots of evidence of your defacto status (shared named bills, joint leases) from October to the present day, that is really important.

Lots of people apply onshore, just be aware that if immigration suspect there is an ulterior motive for your partner coming out on a tourist visa, they could theoretically send him home at the airport. Unlikely, but it can happen.

We actually travelled together but there is proof of shared expenses.

im thinking now he might just come over for 3 months to complete the 12 months living together then come back over again and apply for it then.

we read over the government definition of de facto and have read the migration booklet back to front, he thinks it's going to be possible because it shows we were serious about committing to one another.

We found this http://www.border.gov.au/about/corporate/information/fact-sheets/35relationship which states you don't have to be living together for 12 months as long as you have lived together at some point.

You do have to prove that you've been in a relationship together for at least that time, and that the centre of your lives is together - so your permanent home is at one address, even i one of you has to live away for work at times (eg FIFO jobs)

We've known each other since 2008 but only "officially" got together last year. We sorta skipped dating and went straight to a full blown relationship. We have proof that we've been together since April with photos, phone records, stat decs, joint bank account and bills etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived