Moving back to the UK

Jennie Louise Wright

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has to be comparable to joining the M4 at Heathrow - after a long flight - and finding everyone whizzing along at 85mph...

LOL, I remember when we got back 4 years ago and had to join the motorway and saying to my wife how wonderful it was knowing that at least most of the drivers would know what lane to be in and yes even at 85mph it felt relaxing.

Has to be comparable to joining the M4 at Heathrow - after a long flight - and finding everyone whizzing along at 85mph...

Its funny, I go up and down it every day for work and back. The first week it gave me the "holy crap", but now I don't even notice. The little country roads were even scarier as they seemed so narrow - not helped by the model of car the company gave me (which I now love), as it is huge. But even them now are normal

Its funny, I go up and down it every day for work and back. The first week it gave me the "holy crap", but now I don't even notice. The little country roads were even scarier as they seemed so narrow - not helped by the model of car the company gave me (which I now love), as it is huge. But even them now are normal

I sit at speeds on motorways here that I would never dream of in Queensland purely because you have a pretty good idea of what others are going to do. Motorways are the safest roads in the country for good reason.

When we went to Sydney we just saw a big city with horrendous traffic. Had a great time at the zoo and museum then we left. A city is a city.

a city is a city? so Sydney is the same as Reykjavik, the same as Preston, the same as Sao Paulo, the same as Milan? Complete nonsense and a typical English perspective. just crack on in benidorm with your coffee mate, full English breakfasts and Tetley teabags!

agree ...

Sydney/Australia is definitely not perfect ... but then again, what country is.

From my perspective --- there arent too many 1st world countries like Australia that you can earn good money, have a career, where they speak English, and where you can go to the beach / have a great outdoors lifestyle so close to the city centre.

But each to their own I suppose. I'm definitely not one to criticize others for their personal choices.

a city is a city? so Sydney is the same as Reykjavik, the same as Preston, the same as Sao Paulo, the same as Milan? Complete nonsense and a typical English perspective. just crack on in benidorm with your coffee mate, full English breakfasts and Tetley teabags!

LOL, I remember when we got back 4 years ago and had to join the motorway and saying to my wife how wonderful it was knowing that at least most of the drivers would know what lane to be in and yes even at 85mph it felt relaxing.

Presumably this was in response to her shock at how fast everyone was going. It must have been some reassurance to her that you had extensive UK driving experience (gained over a few weeks on a reccie trip) and rose tinted vision to get you through. lol.

agree ...

Sydney/Australia is definitely not perfect ... but then again, what country is.

From my perspective --- there arent too many 1st world countries like Australia that you can earn good money, have a career, where they speak English, and where you can go to the beach / have a great outdoors lifestyle so close to the city centre.

But each to their own I suppose. I'm definitely not one to criticize others for their personal choices.

ok. never once did I mention Sydney to be perfect. in fact I'm heading home this year, but comments slagging the place off are laughable and stem from people not hacking it here usually. cant make friends, cant earn enough money, cant fit in, cant apply sunscreen, cant understand the trains, cant cope being away from home.

as far as saying a city is a city?? ok, a day is a day, a woman is a woman, food is food, people are people, boobs are boobs... rubbish. traffic is everywhere, in every city.

I suppose I do criticize others choices when they whinge!

ok. never once did I mention Sydney to be perfect. in fact I'm heading home this year, but comments slagging the place off are laughable and stem from people not hacking it here usually. cant make friends, cant earn enough money, cant fit in, cant apply sunscreen, cant understand the trains, cant cope being away from home.

as far as saying a city is a city?? ok, a day is a day, a woman is a woman, food is food, people are people, boobs are boobs... rubbish. traffic is everywhere, in every city.

I suppose I do criticize others choices when they whinge!

Nobody likes a whinger :cool:

Light hearted banter JockinTas when working with my Aussie workmates same as when the miscreants used to call me a bitc* ( and other very unprintable names ) I would say Bitc* with bells on and a capital B above all else kept my sense of humour ( I worked in retail security but the way so I have traded insults with the best lol )

Yes, a city is a city. All cities have awful traffic to one degree or another, it's just commonsense. I don't drink tea or go to Benidorm.

Presumably this was in response to her shock at how fast everyone was going. It must have been some reassurance to her that you had extensive UK driving experience (gained over a few weeks on a reccie trip) and rose tinted vision to get you through. lol.

Not at all, my UK driving experience was gained during the years I lived in the UK. At a guess close to 8 years driving experience. You see that's what happens when you make assumptions about things you know nothing about but at least you got a predictable LIKE because you had a very weak go at me ;)

Not at all, my UK driving experience was gained during the years I lived in the UK. At a guess close to 8 years driving experience. You see that's what happens when you make assumptions about things you know nothing about but at least you got a predictable LIKE because you had a very weak go at me ;)

Your relationship with the UK is thoroughly documented on this and other expat sites Chris. Apologies, for only going on what I remembered and not trawling back through for a more complete picture.

Your relationship with the UK is thoroughly documented on this and other expat sites Chris. Apologies, for only going on what I remembered and not trawling back through for a more complete picture.

Well if you aren't prepared to research before making inaccurate statements that really is your problem as it just makes you look a bit silly when you make assumptions.

Well if you aren't prepared to research before making inaccurate statements that really is your problem as it just makes you look a bit silly when you make assumptions.

Silly of course is subjective, I find the prospect of you turning out onto the M4 and breathing a sigh of relief at the traffic quite laughable. :wink: But each to their own.

Silly of course is subjective, I find the prospect of you turning out onto the M4 and breathing a sigh of relief at the traffic quite laughable. :wink: But each to their own.

I didn't actually breath a sign of relief, that is you fabricating again but it was in a sense comforting after more than a decade of Queensland drivers that's for sure.

I didn't actually breath a sign of relief, that is you fabricating again but it was in a sense comforting after more than a decade of Queensland drivers that's for sure.

M4 comforting?? I wouldn't dare accuse you of fabricating. Fantasising? Perhaps.

Not at all, I'm a confident driver, I'm not scared of other cars. It must be awful to be afraid of other road users.

In which case I don't figure why Queensland's empty straight roads were such a challenge for you.

In which case I don't figure why Queensland's empty straight roads were such a challenge for you.

Haha, have you ever been to Queensland ? Lol . Take a drive down to the Gold Coast from Brisbane or up to the Sunshine Coast if you ever make it up that way. When did I say they were a challenge to me ? You see there you go again, just stick to the facts and you won't go far wrong ;)

Haha, have you ever been to Queensland ? Lol . Take a drive down to the Gold Coast from Brisbane or up to the Sunshine Coast if you ever make it up that way. When did I say they were a challenge to me ? You see there you go again, just stick to the facts and you won't go far wrong ;)

Yes, frequently. I have family in Agnes Water. Anyhooo I think we'll have to agree to disagree (again). Peace.

Archived