Disposable income in UK cities

I thought this might be of interest to those MBTTUK but not sure where to head.

The article is from the Scotman so has a Scottish bias but the data is UK wide and comes from research done by Capgemini.

It certainly fits with my experience of being far better off financially in Edinburgh compared to London.

DISPOSABLE INCOME

Edinburgh tops the list for average monthly disposable income - when all other costs are deducted - with a whopping £811 while Glasgow comes in at £481.

Citizens of Birmingham were the worst off out of all the cities surveyed, retaining only £247 of income once bills and lifestyle costs had been accounted for.

However money isn’t everything when deciding where to live. Hogson-Abbott said: “ There are, of course, other factors to take into consideration.

“Unemployment levels in each city; the distribution of wealth in London and the immeasurable value of living in a city you love.”

The breakdown of disposable income by city was:

Birmingham - £247

Coventry - £253

Leicester - £262

Nottingham - £268

Manchester - £273

Cambridge - £294

Bristol - £326

London - £328

Liverpool - £364

Oxford - £427

Leeds - £479

GLASGOW - £481

Sunderland - £537

Bradford - £560

Belfast - £583

Sheffield - £594

Cardiff - £625

EDINBURGH - £811

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/glasgow/edinburgh-vs-glasgow-where-s-cheaper-to-live-1-4025097#ixzz43pOgoxE0

Almost all of those figures seem pretty low, that is after everything else has been deducted ?

Yes, it's in the link what's taken out, even takes out things like gym membership so it really is 'disposable' income - i.e. what's left after paying for 'essentials' at the price you would pay in those cities.

None of these surveys are perfect, and everyone's lifestyle is different of course.

Doesn't surprise me about Bristol. Happily lived here for 8 years - but without a mortgage and on a City salary. There's a phenomenal amount of poverty around the West Country, and the situation is such now that young couples are outbidding each other on *rent* for flats. With prices the way they are for property, the majority around here will be for mortgage or rental payments, I dare say.

Silly old world, isn't it?

Looking at the other charts in the link Bristol is the 4th most expensive city to live (behind London, Oxford & Cambridge) basic living cost is £1050 a month and rent for a 1 bed flat is £800 of that!

Our middle daughter is at Bristol uni and her costs are pretty comparable with her sister's in London, except for travel (she walks or cycles most places). She shares a four bed flat with three other girls and we pay £500pcm for that. The older one lives in Collier's Wood in a house share and shares a room with her boyfriend which costs us £300pcm (half the cost of the tiny room). They both have a cleaner included in the rent, and the older one has everything included, but the middle one has her bills on top of hers.

I wish they'd both chosen universities in the north!

I went to stay with my friend in London last week. She rents a tiny one bedroom flat in St Katharine's Dock from a friend. Even at 'mate's rates' it's more expensive than our six bed house in Northumberland which has easy access to Newcastle and Durham. It's a gorgeous flat, but how does anyone on an average salary manage to live down there?

The Leeds figure seems about right though I now have more disposable then I did in Leeds and I now live in the south east (our incomes are higher and we have a lot less debt then we used to have). The Leicester one looks really low though my friend has a lot more spare then that including paying a mortgage with a below average salary her partner earns slightly higher then average salary. Also my cousin in Edinburgh is really skint as she pays high in rent and her disposable is more like £200.

The low figure for nottingham does not surprise me at all

I have less disposable income than when I was living in Buckinghamshire with a mortgage

Than I do mortgage / rent free in Nottinghamshire.

Nottinghamshire is a low wage economy unless you are lucky enough to work for an employer with nationally agreed wages.

Found this a few months ago never realized that so many people are paid below a living wage

The number of people who are paid below a living wage. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/revealed-quarter-million-greater-manchester-10245215

Crikey how depressing for the average person.

Not surprised though, a lot of people always seemed to be living pay to pay. Noticeable the difference between the haves and the have nots.

Crikey how depressing for the average person.

Not surprised though, a lot of people always seemed to be living pay to pay. Noticeable the difference between the haves and the have nots.

Yes we knew a few like that where we used to live, as you say just living pay to pay. It does make you feel fortunate though.

Archived