Update

VERYSTORMY

I thought I would just give an up date for anyone interested.

For those that don't know me, we had talked about returning to the UK for a while due to lack of work and I had started looking for jobs in the UK. Then, a few weeks ago, I had an interview and was offered the job. With the condition that I start work the following week. So, in a week, we managed to sell most of the furniture and clear the house, get flights, arrange the dog to fly and get ourselves here. I have been here 2 weeks now and my wife and dog one week.

We has temporary accommodation booked via AirBnB which was wonderful and was a small self contained cottage in a Berkshire village.

At the weekend, we got our bank accounts sorted - Halifax opened it with no problems and cards will arrive in the next couple of days. We moved into our long term rental as well. It is only an apartment, but has two bedrooms and is very nice and in Windsor with views of the castle. Though, far from ideal for us as my wife is a very keen gardener and we have the little furry fellow. So, taking him out for a pee in the night means a lot of stairs - we are on the 3rd floor with no lift! But, we can leave in 6 months and that gives us enough time to explore and look for a place properly. Neither of us know the SE of England very well.

I have been in my job now two weeks and it is going well - though got a very busy month ahead. But, my boss and the company are great and we have been invited to join him in the Royal Box for Champions Day at Ascot later in the year. Should be fun!

I haven't really stopped for a day off now for weeks and we spent the weekend buying a bed and other bits. Family have donated a fair few things as well. I have also found a massive bargain that I am picking up tomorrow - one of the big rich houses in Berkshire are having a remodel and they have a load of bedroom furniture that is solid wood and craftsman made and only 6 months old and they are giving it away, so jumped on that!

Looking forward to next weekend and the long weekend. My brother in law owns a few very well known / very successful restaurants in London and we are off for a day of treats with him around them. Then hopefully a chilled out weekend with a nice walk in the royal park Windsor.

My wife is applying for jobs and has come across her ideal role - a big private garden store wants a person to work with "exotic plants" - mainly Australian. So fingers crossed.

So, overall, everything is going well

Sounds like you have fallen on your feet that's great news and hopefully it's all slotting intoplace

I found when I took on a job in 2001 the employer was well impressed with my Aussie CV I think they liked the fact that I had ' other word experience '

some pictures of Richmond Hill would be nice if your down that way lol As I said before it such a beautiful spot

With your little dog I have found too in the UK dogs are much more socially acceptable our area every one pops them on the bus or metro , cafes have out door areas and water bowls etc

Fingers crossed for your wife with her job she sounds as if she is like me I would rather be outside than in !

Sounds like you have fallen on your feet that's great news and hopefully it's all slotting intoplace

I found when I took on a job in 2001 the employer was well impressed with my Aussie CV I think they liked the fact that I had ' other word experience '

some pictures of Richmond Hill would be nice if your down that way lol As I said before it such a beautiful spot

With your little dog I have found too in the UK dogs are much more socially acceptable our area every one pops them on the bus or metro , cafes have out door areas and water bowls etc

Fingers crossed for your wife with her job she sounds as if she is like me I would rather be outside than in !

I will get some pics next weekend - haven't had time to do much tourist stuff yet.

It is great for dogs here as they are so much more welcome. We took him to his first pub at the weekend. We were driving and spotted the sign for Bray and decided to divert. So, he had his first visit to a pub in a pretty special pub - Heston Blumenthiel's place. Very nice it was too and he was made very welcome. He is even coming with us next weekend to my brother in laws restaurants.

We will rent for a couple of years as we want a large deposit and also not sure where we will buy - I am pretty reluctant to buy in the SE as there just too expensive.

Have a lovely 3 bed detached bungalow on the market in Sunderland if you fancy a commute lol Must admit house prices up north are way way below the south but the market is extremely slow

Have a lovely 3 bed detached bungalow on the market in Sunderland if you fancy a commute lol Must admit house prices up north are way way below the south but the market is extremely slow

That would be a bit far lol.

Prices around Windsor are crazy. We are paying £1400 a month for an apartment that is nothing special. But, we only had a week to find something. In 6 months, we will look at the villages further out where we know we can get a nice house for £1000. From what we are seeing, south Oxfordshire is a lot more affordable and can get a nice house in a nice little village for about 1000 and still be under an hour from work.

Glad everything is falling into place Stormy. Windsor is pretty though I have only visited a few times that way. I can relate to expensive rents we are in Hertfordshire and are similar rents (A little cheaper average 2 bedroom is between £1000-£1200). Hope the Mrs gets the job she is interested in!

For those that don't know me, we had talked about returning to the UK for a while due to lack of work and I had started looking for jobs in the UK. Then, a few weeks ago, I had an interview and was offered the job. With the condition that I start work the following week. So, in a week, we managed to sell most of the furniture and clear the house, get flights, arrange the dog to fly and get ourselves here. I have been here 2 weeks now and my wife and dog one week.

We has temporary accommodation booked via AirBnB which was wonderful and was a small self contained cottage in a Berkshire village.

At the weekend, we got our bank accounts sorted - Halifax opened it with no problems and cards will arrive in the next couple of days. We moved into our long term rental as well. It is only an apartment, but has two bedrooms and is very nice and in Windsor with views of the castle. Though, far from ideal for us as my wife is a very keen gardener and we have theia little furry fellow. So, taking him out for a pee in the night means a lot of stairs - we are on the 3rd floor with no lift! But, we can leave in 6 months and that gives us enough time to explore and look for a place properly. Neither of us know the SE of England very well.

I have been in my job now two weeks and it is going well - though got a very busy month ahead. But, my boss and the company are great and we have been invited to join him in the Royal Box for Champions Day at Ascot later in the year. Should be fun!

I haven't really stopped for a day off now for weeks and we spent the weekend buying a bed and other bits. Family have donated a fair few things as well. I have also found a massive bargain that I am picking up tomorrow - one of the big rich houses in Berkshire are having a remodel and they have a load of bedroom furniture that is solid wood and craftsman made and only 6 months old and they are giving it away, so jumped on that!

Looking forward to next weekend and the long weekend. My brother in law owns a few very well known / very successful restaurants in London and we are off for a day of treats with him around them. Then hopefully a chilled out weekend with a nice walk in the royal park Windsor.

My wife is applying for jobs and has come across her ideal role - a big private garden store wants a person to work with "exotic plants" - mainly Australian. So fingers crossed.

Iam sure there will be ups and downs ...i mean the weather has been crap the last couple of weeks ...but iam envious of your freebie in London ( one of worlds great cities ),and your day out at ascot should be top drawer ,best of luck

Iam sure there will be ups and downs ...i mean the weather has been crap the last couple of weeks ...but iam envious of your freebie in London ( one of worlds great cities ),and your day out at ascot should be top drawer ,best of luck

Life always gives ups and downs and not everything is plain sailing - we still don't own a spoon. As a remembered last night when my wife made soup! Lots to do and things and to say our budget is tight would be an understatement. But, as long as there are more ups, or at least smooth patches, I will be happy.

On the weather front, I am enjoying it. In fact as I type, it is a stunning morning with crystal blue sky and a mist just clearing

At least you moved back to a place where OZ experience is held in high esteem... Wish I could say the same about the North East of England...

We moved back to Sunderland in 2001 and I had 3 jobs offered in a week ,they seemed to love the fact I had the experience of living and working away from the area

• 1 month later...

Interested to see what you think about the airplane noise living in Windsor? I’m originally from SW London but would love to move to Windsor when we head back, but if it’s anything like as loud as living under the flight path in Putney is then I might need to reconsider! The planes there used to wake me up at 4am…

At the weekend, we got our bank accounts sorted - Halifax opened it with no problems and cards will arrive in the next couple of days. We moved into our long term rental as well. It is only an apartment, but has two bedrooms and is very nice and in Windsor with views of the castle. Though, far from ideal for us as my wife is a very keen gardener and we have the little furry fellow. So, taking him out for a pee in the night means a lot of stairs - we are on the 3rd floor with no lift! But, we can leave in 6 months and that gives us enough time to explore and look for a place properly. Neither of us know the SE of England very well.

Our place is directly under the flight path - unlucky as most of Windsor isn't. My work is also literally at the end of the runway. But, to be honest, we already barely notice it. They also now have flight restrictions and we don't have anything come over between 10pm and 6am and very little after 9pm.

We are also in an odd shaped top floor flat which because of its design, has no loft and so no insulation / barrier between us and the roof and the double glazing is very poor, yet except for the odd one - maybe a couple a day - we don't notice them anymore.

That’s good to know! 6am is a lot better than 4am that’s for sure.

Would really love to move Windsor way but have to persuade my husband as his parents are in the Midlands (mine are in London) so the travel time would be a couple of hours to the grandparents.

Thanks

Our place is directly under the flight path - unlucky as most of Windsor isn't. My work is also literally at the end of the runway. But, to be honest, we already barely notice it. They also now have flight restrictions and we don't have anything come over between 10pm and 6am and very little after 9pm.

We are also in an odd shaped top floor flat which because of its design, has no loft and so no insulation / barrier between us and the roof and the double glazing is very poor, yet except for the odd one - maybe a couple a day - we don't notice them anymore.

That’s good to know! 6am is a lot better than 4am that’s for sure.

Would really love to move Windsor way but have to persuade my husband as his parents are in the Midlands (mine are in London) so the travel time would be a couple of hours to the grandparents.

Thanks

Our family is in the East Midlands as well and I had originally envisaged that we would go back there. In fact we were in Leicester at the weekend visiting friends.

Its a pretty painless journey. At the moment it takes 2 hours - just under, but that is with a massive stretch of road works on the M1 which have average speed cameras with a 50 restriction. I would say once they are finished it will be a 1 hour 40 trip. Still very doable for a day visit. Easy enough - leave Windsor about 8am, by in the midlands for 10am, can have all day with friends and family and be home in time for dinner.

It is a lovely town and we get a number of perks. For example, residents get free or very cheap parking throughout the town, free entry to the castle and other bits. London is only half an hour away and the countryside is on the doorstep.

Our family is in the East Midlands as well and I had originally envisaged that we would go back there. In fact we were in Leicester at the weekend visiting friends.

Its a pretty painless journey. At the moment it takes 2 hours - just under, but that is with a massive stretch of road works on the M1 which have average speed cameras with a 50 restriction. I would say once they are finished it will be a 1 hour 40 trip. Still very doable for a day visit. Easy enough - leave Windsor about 8am, by in the midlands for 10am, can have all day with friends and family and be home in time for dinner.

It is a lovely town and we get a number of perks. For example, residents get free or very cheap parking throughout the town, free entry to the castle and other bits. London is only half an hour away and the countryside is on the doorstep.

Good to know. My husbands family is from Nottingham so pretty close to Leicester. I just think it would be the perfect location for us. I've pretty much always lived in London when I've been in the UK but it would be nice to live somewhere a bit less hectic but with all the amenities and close enough for when we want to do things in the city. Rental prices in Windsor do seem on the pricier side but it's going to be for such a nice area I guess!