Youth Unemployment

simmo

A very real issue which is not being attended to. Although hardly confined to Australia. Shocking youth unemployment in Southern Europe. It went as high as 60% in Greece before a decline to stand at around 50%.

I wonder how unemployed youth in Australia, without parent support survive? Our welfare system is hardly receptive to the crisis confronting.

It is an issue in many countries, including the UK.

I don't know all the reasons for it as I think it is complex. I do think part of it though is kids having different expectations to what people used to have. When I left school, we knew we would not earn very much for a long time - things like apprenticeships paid very badly, but we knew it was short term pain for long term gain. Today, I think there is a culture of young people wanting a lot more and wanting it immediately. I partly blame the "celeb culture" which makes kids think they deserve a lot. They then think, that they aren't going to work unless it pays a lot of money. They don't see that they need to get training and experience first.

I also though think there has been a cultural shift by companies. There is less of a culture now of taking on lots of young people and training them into tomorrows workforce. Instead, countries like Australia and the UK rely on importing migrants who already have the skills. Hence, I believe both should put a 100% block on migration for a few years. Companies bleat that they need skilled workers, but how many are spending real money training people. Not many. When I left school, ICI took about 300 apprentices a year. Today, although the company has grown, they take about 5.

My son has had 2 jobs on the go since he was 15, he was offered full time to start this year when he left school properly, up until then he did a 1 day a week school based apprenticeship. Most of his friends work, the ones that have graduated Yr 12 and don't have jobs is purely down to the fact they cannot drive and cant find work they are willing to do on their doorstep. I believe there is work out there if they want it. Even leaflet dropping or mowing someones garden is better than bumming it.

Cal x

Great post VeryStormy - I totally agree with everything you said. The government in Australia tried to redress this by saying that for every 457 worker coming into the country the company would have to spend $xxx dollars on training. All very well in theory but the training budget could be for anything ie conferences etc. not specific to new starts/apprentices therefore was abused as not used for apprenticeships/graduates - so lots of 457s got 'training'

Archived