Which Passport.

Oz Hog

If you want to live and work in UK then you need a UK one otherwise your Australian passport will be stamped with a 6 month visa and they will expect you not to work, get services etc and leave. Of course as a British citizen you would then have to verify that you do have entitlements but getting a UK passport and entering UK with it is the easy way!

Guest The Pom Queen

If you want to live and work in UK then you need a UK one otherwise your Australian passport will be stamped with a 6 month visa and they will expect you not to work, get services etc and leave. Of course as a British citizen you would then have to verify that you do have entitlements but getting a UK passport and entering UK with it is the easy way!
@Quoll I'm wondering if you, or someone who has gone back can explain what you do with services, bank accounts, Drs etc when you have been away for so long. Do you also qualify for benefits?

I was born in UK 1954, naturalised Aussie since 1977. If I return to live fulltime in UK am I better off with my Aussie passport, ot getting a UK one?

You will definitely need your uk passport for ID and right of abode

You can access the NHS but will need to contact them to get a new NHS number

Benefits I am not sure about I think maybe jobseekers if you intend to work but you can't get that for a while ( not sure of the time period )

To get benefits you will need to prove Habitual Residency - there is information in some of the previous posts on that situation

How old were you when you emigrated ,did you ever work in the UK as you would have a NINO as they seem to call it now a national insurance number

Why would he need a UK passport to work he has a UK birth certificate, that proves he is legally allowed to work in the UK. he just has to call the IR and get a NI number issued, as soon as he has that he is fine.

There is the right of abode and habitual residency you have the right of abode automatically ( I think ) but need to prove things for the residency Entering the UK on a British passport you will not be asked questions entering on an Aussie passport you will be asked how long your staying and I think need a visa ( not 100% sure on that one )

if you need to go through the habitual residents test ie to claim benefits they expect you to have given up all ties with Australia ie closed bank accounts etc A British passport is also photo ID we had to produce it when buying a house to eliminate money laundering

Sorry I should have read further up this thread as there are some of the same explanations - need a second coffee I guess

You need a British passport to arrange long term rentals or a mortgage. Also, to open a bank account. Though interestingly, nobody has questioned us about the fact my wifes British one had expired - she got a telling off at immigration in Heathrow, but that was all

Going back to Oz one time I inadvertently presented my British passport as I had entered on that one , they scanned it and said straight away you can't go to Australia on that one ! No return visa was there as I have an Aussie passport as well Sometimes on the ball sometimes not maybe ?

Archived