travelling before landing in Australia

Cazwilkins

Anything we need to be wary about if we plan 7 months travelling before we land in Aus? We will have all relevant vaccinations before heading off backpacking but of course just want to make sure we don't jeopardise our visa by spending certain lengths of time in certain places. Places of travel

France

Spain

Germany

Amsterdam

Norway

Serbia

Montenegro

Croatia

Amsterdam

Sri Lanka

Maldives

Thailand

Laos

Cambodia

Vietnam

New Zealand

And if course australia.

Most time will be spent in southeast Asia

Do we have to declare these plans to the board of immigration for example

Anything we need to be wary about if we plan 7 months travelling before we land in Aus? We will have all relevant vaccinations before heading off backpacking but of course just want to make sure we don't jeopardise our visa by spending certain lengths of time in certain places. Places of travel

France

Spain

Germany

Amsterdam

Norway

Serbia

Montenegro

Croatia

Amsterdam

Sri Lanka

Maldives

Thailand

Laos

Cambodia

Vietnam

New Zealand

And if course australia.

Most time will be spent in southeast Asia

Do we have to declare these plans to the board of immigration for example

Jealous! Enjoy your trip ....and good luck with the job hunting in Aus

As long as you arrive before your first entry date they don't care where you have been. Customs might though! Just don't try and smuggle anything past them, and that includes fruit.................

Especially fruit. The sniffer dogs can smell if you had raisins in your baggage even if you have disposed of them before going through customs.

Sounds like a fab trip. As the others have said, once you have your visa in hand, as long as you enter Australia before your first entry date immigration don't care where you have been.

Fab thank you. I just wasn't sure because Aus is so strict, esp with diseases, whether we would have to state where we had been. But I should have just read my visa info In the first place because it seems they're only bothered about if you spend time in one of the 9 countries where there has been a polio outbreak.

Thanks for the advice with regards to fruit :)

Thanks everyone. I'm a little anxious about the fact we are backpacking, esp because I like my home comforts but I'm sure it'll be fun. Starting with the camino de Santiago walk! Wish me luck haha

No why ever would you consider you need to declare travel plans? A great trip lined up. I've still to get to Montenegro and no interest in Maldives ,but know the rest. Laos being one of my favourites. Anyhow enjoy the travels. I expect you won't want to stop.

Going to montenegro for a festival.

And we aren't spending thousands on the Maldives. £70 flight from Sri Lanka and $100 for 4 nights accommodation in a tiny room. Can't believe people pay thousands when you can get it so cheap! I guess it's because they're paying for the fancy huts out in the sea!

Going to montenegro for a festival.

And we aren't spending thousands on the Maldives. £70 flight from Sri Lanka and $100 for 4 nights accommodation in a tiny room. Can't believe people pay thousands when you can get it so cheap! I guess it's because they're paying for the fancy huts out in the sea!

I'm afraid what we paid a pittance for a few decades back can be rather expensive these days. Huts by the sea being an example. So many of the old A frames have long on islands like Koh Samui for example where it used to cost a few dollars a night. Bangkok businessmen bought up such areas establishing higher class, expensive alternatives.

Still Asia is the last 'cheap' continent, though goes up all the time , such good value compared to such an over the top country for prices like Australia.

I'm afraid what we paid a pittance for a few decades back can be rather expensive these days. Huts by the sea being an example. So many of the old A frames have long on islands like Koh Samui for example where it used to cost a few dollars a night. Bangkok businessmen bought up such areas establishing higher class, expensive alternatives.

Still Asia is the last 'cheap' continent, though goes up all the time , such good value compared to such an over the top country for prices like Australia.

Years ago Koh Samui was like a paradise. We used to go native there when the kids were small. Now it's all 'resortified'.

@Cazwilkins the only thing I would say is baggage. We just emigrated and we normally have 2bags between 5 but this time we had 7 bags.... My friend travelled prior to landing and she left her wedding /engagement ring at home as worried re losing it whilst travelling round Asia. Good luck sounds fab. We had spoken about a 3/6 month trip round Europe in a camper van before we left...

If you are intending a temporary stay in Australia, you are required to declare your health status on your visa application form. In certain circumstances you may be asked to provide a doctor's report or undertake a medical and/or radiological examination. This may include where you are:

• likely to enter a hospital or other health care environment, including nursing homes as either a patient, visitor, trainee or employee,
  • likely to enter a classroom environment, including preschool, creche and child care situations,
  • known or suspected of having a medical condition, regardless of your length of stay,
  • intending to stay in Australia for more than 12 months, or
  • intending to stay in Australia for more than 3 months, and you have recently visited or lived in a country with a Very High-risk rate of tuberculosis (Tb).

Archived