804 VisaTo Contribute or not

trishenty

Hi,

I'm ready now to apply for my 804 Visa. All papers to hand. But, I'm still wrestling with contributory versus non contributory.

Does anyone know please of the advantages of going contributory? As far as I can see I wouldn't be able to claim even Medicare for 10 years going contributory & £38000 goes a long way in 10 years

• 2 weeks later...

The advantage is the processing is a lot quicker. First problem to worry about is that if you wait 10 years for the non-contributory you might not be healthy enough to pass the medical. If you do pass the medical you still won't be eligible for any financial support (e.g. the age pension) for 10 years after the non-contributory visa is issued even though you've already waited 10 years (or more) to get it. I'm not sure what the Net Present Value of the age Pension to be received for 10 years starting in 10 years time is (it's complicated by the fact that it's means tested and your UK pension will reduce it) but it's got to account for a good chunk of $38,000 even if it isn't all of it.

I'm pretty sure you will be covered for Medicare as a permanent resident - it's the Centre link benefits you can't get but you can get the age pension after 10 years if you don't have much money off your own. Given the wait you could easily find yourself like the woman a couple of weeks ago, deported because she failed the medical and the government might well try and do away with the free version of make it even more difficult. For security and peace of mind contribute!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all the comments. I decided to go ahead with the non contributory strand. Application lodged & bridging visa arrived in 10 days. I'd entered on an e-visa so was a bit concerned the bridging visa stated it wasn't in operation. Emailed Perth. Next day had a reply. As soon as my 3 months is up the bridging visa will be operative.

Seems I have reciprocal emergency health cover with the UK and am picking my way through the 'private' sector for the best deal in case of long term illness etc. Minefield!!

But getting there.

Lots to learn, lots to do. I'm enjoying every moment, and not dependent on my children too much; living close but not with them.

Great to be independent.

From a blazing hot day south of Sydney.

Trishenty

I'm pretty sure you will be covered for Medicare as a permanent resident - it's the Centre link benefits you can't get but you can get the age pension after 10 years if you don't have much money off your own. Given the wait you could easily find yourself like the woman a couple of weeks ago, deported because she failed the medical and the government might well try and do away with the free version of make it even more difficult. For security and peace of mind contribute!

Threatened with being deported, but there is apparently a visa? that covers ill health in this circumstance, as was mentioned by agents, have heard no follow up to the story, let's hope she was allowed to stay. Similar case in UK concerning a 92 year old South African lady, who has been given to stay after public outrage.

Archived