Driving licence

Effie

I recently got my NSW driving licence after becoming permanent resident. I will be returning to the uk for a holiday in April and want to hire a car. Can I still use my uk drivers licence or do I have to use my NSW one? Has anyone had any problems hiring a car in the uk on a NSW licence-will they charge me more!!

thanks

I recently got my NSW driving licence after becoming permanent resident. I will be returning to the uk for a holiday in April and want to hire a car. Can I still use my uk drivers licence or do I have to use my NSW one? Has anyone had any problems hiring a car in the uk on a NSW licence-will they charge me more!!

thanks

Your UK license will not be valid as you are not a resident (no home address) using your Aus license is no problem. You need to look on the net for the best car hire deals and book before you go. Over the last 3-4 years we have had the best deals from Europcar but from the main website (not UK or Aus sites) try this link https://www.europcar.com/deals/europe other than that the normal search engines for car hire uk.

Second that. Also if you try to hire on a Uk license in the UK you will find the small print requires proof of address such as a utility bill.

We hired a car last time we went and it was new, and not expensive, I think from Europcar or one of the other major companies that operate at the airport.

Shop around as many include extra driver for free etc. Also check your travel insurance as ours already covered for hire car excess.

Second that. Also if you try to hire on a Uk license in the UK you will find the small print requires proof of address such as a utility bill.

We hired a car last time we went and it was new, and not expensive, I think from Europcar or one of the other major companies that operate at the airport.

Shop around as many include extra driver for free etc. Also check your travel insurance as ours already covered for hire car excess.

If you use the search engines for the best prices and then armed with that info go onto the actual car hire companies to compare because sometimes the hire company may have a special that is not always shown/picked up by the search engines.

Also be careful on the excess insurance provided by the travel insurance as on some it does state in the small print something like "provided you have taken up all insurances offered by the hire company" or words to that effect. Now what offered means is anybody's guess, still worth checking out to be sure.

Yup weasely words those insurance people use. I called my insurance company to double check and it did cover the excess charged exactly as I thought. The hire company in QLD I used were having none of that though and it took me ages to convince them I did not need their excess waiver policy. They were so aggressive I made an official complaint! They did apologise saying that many policies do not cover all the excess and people had been caught out before.

Saying that if a policy says car hire excess insurance cover then it should do just that! The levels of excess in the UK are tiny compared t o Australia though!

Agree with the others - have hired a car in the UK twice now using an Australian drivers license with no problems. When looking for car hire try hertz.com.au rather than the UK site as sometimes they will be half the price of the UK version.

thanks

You can use your Australian licence and passport, I went back in 2013 for two months (cost like $2600 to hire). Booked online and then that day when we picked the car up they asked for our details like Passport and licence that you have on you. I think it's around six months that you can use your overseas drivers licence

Only time when they charge you more (you have an option at the desk) if you want your other half to drive.

You can use your Australian licence and passport, I went back in 2013 for two months (cost like $2600 to hire). Booked online and then that day when we picked the car up they asked for our details like Passport and licence that you have on you. I think it's around six months that you can use your overseas drivers licence

Only time when they charge you more (you have an option at the desk) if you want your other half to drive.

That seems a little expensive by $1000 for say a 4 door ford focus! was yours an automatic? or a larger car?

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in the insurance side of things whenever I've hired before in the uk I've been persuaded with their ridiculous excess reduction payment but I think this time will look at getting a separate policy. Hadn't thought of looking into the travel insurance side of it too

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in the insurance side of things whenever I've hired before in the uk I've been persuaded with their ridiculous excess reduction payment but I think this time will look at getting a separate policy. Hadn't thought of looking into the travel insurance side of it too

I have never bothered with that and took shall we say a calculated risk, as we generally have a 4 to 6 week hire period every say 18 months then I worked out that about 3 hire periods of extra insurance was the same cost as potential maximum excess payable. However shorter more irregular hire periods would need a re-think, but even then I have had to pay for some damage (damn Pheasants on each occasion) a couple of times those costs were a lot less than any extra insurance I would have paid on each hire.

However we all have to make our own informed/peace of mind decisions.

Just found this in todays Royalauto (the RACV members magazine)

I intend to try to get that deal, especially as their website claims they want £877 for 4 weeks next christmas....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32619[/ATTACH]

Just googled a quote on a search engine came out at just under $700 yes DOLLARS! for 4 weeks over Xmas from Heathrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I am an Aussie with a UK driving license and my husband is English. Immigrating to oz next month. We need to hire a car for 2 weeks when we first arrive.

I'm confused when booking hire car do I say I live in UK or Australia? As now I am a uk resident but when hiring car will be Aussie resident.

Also if I want to but excess car insurance from a 3rd party again that's asks if an Aussie resident or not? Any recommendations on which company to use? I use Questor in the Uk but it's only for UK residents.

I have my parents address I can use in oz.

Many thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived