Perth Elizabeth Quay Opens Tonight. Success Story or White Elephant?

flag of convenience

At least the response wasn't because everyone is taken a gander. So not getting into the latest excitement bubble inflicting Perth then?

So not inflicted by the latest excitement bubble in Perth then? At least your parents didn't respond by saying, "Because everyone is taking a gander".

Not to say you sound like a broken record ..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mid-morning or mid-afternoon for a BBQ, or it's a long wait. If you don't enjoy it, it's only a $2.25 ferry trip ;-)

None swimming on last few but distant visits. Only place swam in the river in modern times would be at Nedlands. I wonder does the water differ over in South Perth? It looked very uninviting at Elisabeth Quay the times I've been there. As it does in East Perth.

I just could envisage a beach of any sort at that location, looking at the state of the water. Can the Brisbane River really be cleaner? I would like to see just how South Bank compares and how their beach water looks clean or at lest swimmable.

Southbank beach water recycled ever 6 hours.

So not inflicted by the latest excitement bubble in Perth then? At least your parents didn't respond by saying, "Because everyone is taking a gander".

We may go and see it. But I don't think we'd go into town just to see it. Might see the art gallery, and then jump on a cat if there's time. I assume a cat runs past it?

We may go and see it. But I don't think we'd go into town just to see it. Might see the art gallery, and then jump on a cat if there's time. I assume a cat runs past it?

Pretty certain of that. Although I always walk. Worth having a look at while your in town. Even if to compare how it may pan out on a future visit of a few years duration. I have some business in the City this morning and will probably have another look, being I assume quieter as a Tuesday, and may well get another perspective.

None swimming on last few but distant visits. Only place swam in the river in modern times would be at Nedlands. I wonder does the water differ over in South Perth? It looked very uninviting at Elisabeth Quay the times I've been there. As it does in East Perth.

Only time I've really been in it was being dragged behind a speed boat for a few hours (a failed attempt at water skiing). Took a good week for the jelly fish stings to go.

It doesn't look much better up at Ascott, but at least it's flowing. I'd be more inclined to jump in at the Left Bank in Freo, but then there is a higher likelihood of the water being a bit bitey.

Pretty certain of that. Although I always walk. Worth having a look at while your in town. Even if to compare how it may pan out on a future visit of a few years duration. I have some business in the City this morning and will probably have another look, being I assume quieter as a Tuesday, and may well get another perspective.

Last week it was pretty busy around lunchtimes, this week it's been quiet.

I think most of those big space developments don't really appeal to Australians.. (We think it's a waste not to cover it over in turf and be able to play cricket or football on it!)

Perhaps just tourist draws and not much more.

Southbank in Brisbane is incredibly popular with locals though not sure if that falls in your category...

Down there today , Friday but less than 85% of the people there last weekend. Most those present appeared to be elderly UK tourists or Chinese visitors. Bored in fifteen minutes and left. The only real pub facility in that area, The Lucky Shag, was doing a brisk business. A cider for $11.50 dampened my enthusiasm. What's with the $24 steak sandwiches these days? I was a frequent Thursday visitor until two years ago and paid $16 from memory. Although to be fair that is the standard price in Boheme and Moon and Sixpence as well.

Down there today , Friday but less than 85% of the people there last weekend. Most those present appeared to be elderly UK tourists or Chinese visitors. Bored in fifteen minutes and left. The only real pub facility in that area, The Lucky Shag, was doing a brisk business. A cider for $11.50 dampened my enthusiasm. What's with the $24 steak sandwiches these days? I was a frequent Thursday visitor until two years ago and paid $16 from memory. Although to be fair that is the standard price in Boheme and Moon and Sixpence as well.

I feel for your woes...

Southbank in Brisbane is incredibly popular with locals though not sure if that falls in your category...

They must have found a particular winning combination in Brissy.. maybe the location, access and facilities with few alternative venues is what really turned it on. The best redevelopment Adelaide has received in years has been the Oval.. guaranteed crowds in the tens of thousands confined to eating and drinking on site and not much to provide except entertainment in the way of sport or music paid for by the punters themselves and then cleaned up to start again. Master stroke! They are considering upgrading "festival plaza" but there will be considerable consultation as being one of those awkward hot concrete squares.. they will need to tread lightly or again it will just be another one of those quizzical sections of the city that many simply walk through and doesn't add value.

We have many many parks city side though and the hours of leisure entertainment provided by those parks for locals of all ages does enough to guarantee mixed businesses in and surrounding the city benefit as well. Adelaide doesn't have a major central water body that it has to draw the punters to. And what it has done with the Torrens riverside is nicely underdone. But as we all know Adelaidians prefer it underdone. ;)

I think most of those big space developments don't really appeal to Australians.. (We think it's a waste not to cover it over in turf and be able to play cricket or football on it!)

Perhaps just tourist draws and not much more.

I don't think so. In fact know not.Australians would somewhere else to go to be entertained. Hillary's being a prime example here in Perth. The Fremantle Fishing Boat Harbour development from the eighties another.

I'd go as far to say that many people are desperate for alternative options to take their kids or have adult time.

Southbank goes for miles, has lots of restaurants, pubs and a pool and fake beach. It will take a while for EQ to reach its potential.

By the looks today you are right. Will it end up just another place of the normal food chains? Too expensive for indy's too set up? It looks it will take more than awhile at a guess to reach potential. I wonder if a decade will see it reach potential?

Archived