After 6 Short Months

BilboBaggins

I moved to Perth only months ago but things aren't working out as I would have hoped and I have now decided to return back to the UK.

Couple of things I could do with help on.

1. I have worked not stop for the last 6 months and have been paying tax is this something I can claim back?

2. Can I get any of my Super which my company has been paying?

I have been on a sponsored 457 if that helps.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

If you have overpaid tax - which you will have if you've only worked for 6 months you will get a rebate. Yiu

may need to wait until the end of the tax year though @Alan Collett could help & yes you can get your Super back - that will add to your taxable income though

You may or may not get a tax rebate. Australia pro rata the tax allowance so if you have only been in the country for six months you will only get six months allowance. If your tax has been correctly deducted through payroll and you have no deductions you would be unlikely to get any tax back. It might be worth a chat with Alan Collett about the tax situation as well about getting your super back.

Also just having a think, you can claim tax back on any purchases over $300 when here on holiday.

Does this apply for any items that I have purchased whilst here?

I have purchased some Large items which I will be shipping back to the uk.

Many Thanks

Maybe, quite a few Google hits, not sure of the quality of the information

http://backpackersbuddy.com.au/backpackers-tax-back/?gclid=CjwKEAiAuKy1BRCY5bTuvPeopXcSJAAq4OVs_1PShWadH65iju7IWQldia8jzZLOTNbg8BqclG8MmhoCiT3w_wcB

Sponsoring company of 457 visa holder also have to pay return airfare if you ask for it !

Very good point! And this is regardless of the circumstances in which you are leaving but they do not have to pay for the flight of your choice - I know someone on here was booked a 36 hour journey via India as it was the cheapest

You may or may not get a tax rebate. Australia pro rata the tax allowance so if you have only been in the country for six months you will only get six months allowance. If your tax has been correctly deducted through payroll and you have no deductions you would be unlikely to get any tax back. It might be worth a chat with Alan Collett about the tax situation as well about getting your super back.

The tax free allowance ($18,200 for a full year) is pro-rata but the other tax thresholds are not (so for example you are still entitled to the same 19% tax band whether you were here a week or a year). Weekly/monthly deductions will all of been on the assumption that the tax payer would be here for the full year so there is always a tax refund for a tax payer who is only present for a partial year.

In addition to this the Australian tax system does not take into account pay that varies from one pay period to another so unless you received the same amount of pay every week/month of the tax year you are guaranteed to have had too much tax deducted (unless you have some other untaxed income) even if you've been here for the whole tax year. Many (if not most) people will have some deductions they can claim too.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Ind/Tax-free-threshold-for-newcomers-to-Australia/

Not a straightforward pro rata tax free threshold - there is a core $13,464, plus $4,736/12 x the number of months you have been in Australia during the tax year, including the month you arrived.

It is possible to lodge an in year tax return on paper, but it will be subject to ATO manual processing.

A Departing Australia Super Payment (DASP) is possible to recover your superannuation contributions (less a tax charge) once you have left Australia and your visa has been cancelled.

Best regards.

Archived