Relationship Evidence Statement/Birth Certificate question

motherof2

Hi,

Just hijacked my wife's login whilst she's not looking.

Have a couple of migration application questions.

(1) We have been married 14 years, have two kids, jointly own our house etc. - do we still need a relationship statement to support the contention that we are "joined at the hip".

(2) My wife's birth certificate is the short form one that doesn't show who her parents are - will this be ok or does she need the full monty one. I only ask because she's adopted, and I don't really want to find out i've married the lovechild of Adolf and Eva (you vill do the vashing up - NOW!!!)

Any help appreciated.

Hi hubby of motherof2 (should I say dad of 2)?

Don't know about the birth certificates as all the ones we sent were full ones, but we've been married 13 years and just sent a certified copy of our marriage certificate - didn't have to do any statements.

Hope this is some help

Ali

Guest TheArmChairDetective

Hi Gill,

Does that count for people with High Commission Birth Certificates like me please?

ie born abroad to UK parents and the birth certificate was issued by the High Commissioner of the British Embassy.

Guest Gollywobbler

HI TACD

Yes. I was born in Malaysia and my birth was registered with the British High Commission in KL.

What you have to do, though, is ring up the Registrar of Overseas Births in Southport. They give you a reference number of some sort (I forget what it is called). Then go into the main GRO website and order the Certificate like everyone else. I had to do this a couple of years ago when I accidentally spilt coffee over the original, wrecking that.

Have just replied to your recent e-mail, by the way.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

HI TACD

Was your father in the armed forces? If so, there is a third step involved which I don't know anything about. A friend of mine was born overseas to a member of HM Arned Forces stationed abroad and his wife. I think she said she has a local birth cert, issued in whichever country it was, a second one from the BHC in wherever it was, plus a third one from the Armed Forces. I seem to recall the Southport people asking me about this but it didn't apply in our case because my father was an engineer.

I was born near Ipoh, about 100 miles NW of KL in Perak, which was the tin-mining state at the time (I am 50, like you.) Were your family in Malaysia for long and if so, where were you based?

Cheers

Gill

Guest TheArmChairDetective

Hi Gollywobbler,

well it's like this.

My father was a W01 in the REME and in the BOAR.

I was born in Munchen Gladbach and (did) have a little german birth certificate in a plactic holder that was (apparently) tied around my ankle all the timeI was in Germany. My father had to go to the Consulate in Cologne for the H.C. birth certificate, I am told this was because the authorities would not let me (or my kind) leave the country without one. I kmow this is true as I have met one other person in my life whose paernts went through the same situation and hows this for odds, he wants to migrate to Aus also. We then moved to KL, Battalion Jia and Penang. My paernts old house in Malayia is still there and my elder and younger brother have both been there to visit it. My younger brother was born in KL and didnt get his passport until a couple of years ago because no one would recognise him as British (until his MP asked a question in the House)

I didnt come to UK till I was six.

Phew what a lot of typing :D

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi TACD

I don't understand it fully, but apparently Dad had to renounce my right to Malaysian Citizenship in order to get a British passport for me. I gather that Malaysia does not permit dual citizenship. It sounds as if your brother had the same problem.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill, thanks for the link. I'm now waiting for a full 'Adoption Cert' which apparently is the equivalent to a full birth cert, but have my adoptive parents names on instead of my birth parents. This means that my husband will forever be wondering if I am the love child of Adolf and Eva. Mind you that would put a few years on my age if it were true - isn't botox fab!!!!

Archived