Where to stay in Melborune?

KoalaPom

Hello everyone, Just after some advice, coming to Melbourne soon, we've never been before and looking to stop somewhere within the city, where is the best place to stop to explore the different areas tourist sites? we have looked at Southbank but most of the hotels want to charge for breakfast and parking, for the kind of prices there asking you'd expect parking and breakfast to be included. We will be driving so can move around easily, happy to eat out for a full English breakfast if available : )

Thanks in advance : )

Driving in Melbourne City is a bit annoying because of the trams, and the necessity to perform hook-turns to cross junctions.

It is also awkward because the price of parking can be prohibitive.

The public transport in Melbourne is good and expansive. I would recommend that if you want to stay in the city, there are car hire companies in the city, hire a car daily as you need it. If you need a car with you all the time, look for accommodation outside of the immediate city area, perhaps a nearby suburb.

For what it's worth, if you do opt for accommodation in the city, avoid the immediate vicinity of Flinders Street Station as it can be a bit rough around the edges. The Southbank is nice. The Crown Metropole is an absolutely first class hotel and I would highly recommend it. I stayed at the Hilton Doubletree on Flinders Street near the station and I was quite disappointed. Do your research on TripAdvisor!

Melbourne is a great city with some wonderful suburbs and things to do, enjoy.

Edited by srh82

You probably can't watch it but sometimes I watch Postcards which is a TV program about things to do in Victoria and Melbourne and they always have special offers on hotels and places to stay.

They are very reasonable, discounted, include breakfast etc.

So worth a look if you can see the program. It might be available on the Channel 9 catchup service online.

Hi srh82, thanks for all the information, yes I was looking a the trams on the youtube like Yarra tram 96 is a hook turn like a tight turn or a u-turn sorry? Thanks also for heads up on the Flinders Street Station, we like the look of the Langham but will look at The Crown Metropole too, gone off Hilton ever since we went to a friends wedding in UK and we all ending up with sickness from their wine yuk!! Ill check as much as I can on trip advisor.

Cheers : )

We use park view hotel whenever we go to the city.

Just down the tram line from finders street so city very accessible.

It has free parking and breaky thrown in for the price.

We always find a deal at the hotel on booking.com or travelzoo, then ring them with that info and get the same price over the phone.

http://www.melbourne-parkviewhotel.com/index.htm?lbl=ggl-en&gclid=CNact--lv8oCFQqjvQodHx0LnQ