English test help

Cootsy88

Howdy,

im a 27 year old Scottish male, I've done my vetssses last year so I could get a Victorian electrical license , try and maybe get sponsored, then moved up to Sydney for work but still not much luck. I talked to a visa guy and he said I needed 20 points in my English.

so 8s out of 10, I think, anyone got any good advice so I can start "revising" maybe sit it start of March. Is 8 a easy target. I would say I would talk more English than Scottish obviously no one can under stand you haha.

If anyone in Australia has any books or anything I could borrow would be grateful.

thank you,

paul

I did the PTE-Academic rather than IELTS. It was pretty straight forward and I scored top marks. I cannot comment on IELTS as I never sat it. All I would say is do some of the practice tests on line to familiarise yourself with the test format, being of British origin you should breeze it. Good luck

I'm sitting IELTS on Saturday and I'll let you know how it goes. As a native speaker not learning at all, all I've done is familiarise myself with the format by doing some practice tests

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy,

im a 27 year old Scottish male, I've done my vetssses last year so I could get a Victorian electrical license , try and maybe get sponsored, then moved up to Sydney for work but still not much luck. I talked to a visa guy and he said I needed 20 points in my English.

so 8s out of 10, I think, anyone got any good advice so I can start "revising" maybe sit it start of March. Is 8 a easy target. I would say I would talk more English than Scottish obviously no one can under stand you haha.

If anyone in Australia has any books or anything I could borrow would be grateful.

thank you,

paul

Hi Paul,

If it's IELTS you're sitting, I would definitely do some practise tests first. I sat mine a couple of years ago and didn't find it too difficult, but within the writing section there's a specific format you should be using. If I hadn't have done some revision beforehand I definitely wouldn't have got the results I wanted. Good luck :)

Howdy,

thank you,

paul

I had to do the same as you, I'm a sparky and I needed all 8's. I managed to get them first time but I've known about my move for 6 years and knew about the IELTS then and looked into it and did a little revision then. Get a good IELTS book to train and use the online stuff too but what I did which I think helped me greatly was looked up nore technical uses of punctuation. I have never really been too bad at English but my punctuation was always a little pants so I just ensured I knew of different ways to use commas. My vocabulary was always good so I just ensured I used various words that have the same meaning rather than repeating myself.

The biggest part is ensuring you answer the questions property and get all the info required in, I wrote the required parts of the question on a scrap bit of paper and then ticked them off as I covered them.

I found it easy as I was prepared but I have heard people do have trouble with it.

good luck

Back from writing the test today. The toughest section was the listening test because if you switch off for a second you can miss an answer and there is no going back! Happened to me early on, was skim-reading the upcoming questions, not giving the recording my undivided attention and missed an answer. Reading and writing were straight forward and you have plenty of time. Speaking was fine, but the examiner ramped up the complexity of his questions quickly (we ended up debating the role of government in regulating health and the power of food industry lobbies). Talking for two minutes off the cuff is trickier than you think. Time seemed to drag by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk