Dead rats hung on our fence... What the ???

LadyCroft

We just bought our first property in Oz and have been trying to settle into our new area. Everyone's fine and things are OK. The only thing bugging us was the house next door always has random cars on their front grass n nature strip and comings n goings all night long. Their kids often watch us over the back fence but I just thought they're just having a nosy at the new neighbours. So what. Then my toddler pointed out "lizards" in our garden on the end of a fishing line and kind of plastic pole. It's a bunch of dead rats hanging over our fence. How disgusting. I was thinking of returning them but to be honest they seem kind of intimidating. My husband says maybe the kids thought it would be funny n if I react they'll get a kick out of it n do it again...

I'm just sick. How horrible. Wishing we'd never bought here after being so excited that we actually got to buy our own place. What can I do without causing a neighbour war? We've only lived here a few wks n done nothing that could have annoyed the neighbours to make them want to do this?

I'd agree with your husband...I'd just ignore the rats. Disappoint them by not reacting at all.

The "comings n goings all night long" are interesting. If it's a regular thing I'd suspect that they are dealing drugs. On both counts they are not the sort of neighbours one would wish for.

Do your neighbours on the other side look more promising?

Thanks for replying. Yes, we probably will ignore it this time, I just needed to get it off my mind on here cos I'm driving my husband mad going on about taking them and knocking on the neighbours door "You seem to have left your dinner hanging over our fence" LOL.

Yes, neighbours around are fine and keep themselves to themselves. They've been fine next door too apart from what I said above. Just hoping it's a one off... Just feeling a bit sad that we've emigrated and bought a house over budget only to have something stupid like this happen. It's just been a really hard year this past year and I'm trying to look forwards to 2016 only for a few things to have already gone wrong and now this is the proverbial straw. Just getting to me.

You poor thing- there are some nasty people around and you could do one of two things really

Ignore them totally or try and establish some sort of relationship with the parents. The latter doesn't sound too likely if they are foul sort of people. What area are you in- is it an outer suburb? Any chance of getting onside with other neighbours and finding out what's going on with this lot?

Hoping it's just kids being silly. We're just trying to enjoy our new life here. It's an older, established area but as everyone says, you never know who really lives next door until you've moved in... When we viewed the place n checked out the area everything seemed so peaceful. Just never came round at 2am for a look! Checked on here and other sites about the place and all seemed good. Like I was saying, its the first issue we've had and hopefully the last. I'm trusting my gut feelings though and don't want to rock the boat. Thanks for replying though. I reread my post and thought it sounded a bit fake! Wish it was.

. I reread my post and thought it sounded a bit fake!

Oh no...not at all. I'd be feeling exactly the same if I were in your shoes. Migrating is stressful enough without having to deal with dodgy neighbours. I hope it is just a temporary blip and your home will become the peaceful haven we all wish for. :hug:

Just let it right but remain vigilant. It always pay to check out the area one is considering setting up camp in. I live in WA, and we came close to purchasing a house several plus years back in a well known outer beachside suburb.

A few evening/night time observations of the area over the course of a few weeks convinced me it wasn't a sound idea. Reason? The look of some of the people 'hanging' around the area at dusk/night fall. Outer areas do attract a mix of demographics.

With luck this will prove a one off. Hopefully the case. Let us know if anything further untoward happens.

We just bought our first property in Oz and have been trying to settle into our new area. Everyone's fine and things are OK. The only thing bugging us was the house next door always has random cars on their front grass n nature strip and comings n goings all night long. Their kids often watch us over the back fence but I just thought they're just having a nosy at the new neighbours. So what. Then my toddler pointed out "lizards" in our garden on the end of a fishing line and kind of plastic pole. It's a bunch of dead rats hanging over our fence. How disgusting. I was thinking of returning them but to be honest they seem kind of intimidating. My husband says maybe the kids thought it would be funny n if I react they'll get a kick out of it n do it again...

I'm just sick. How horrible. Wishing we'd never bought here after being so excited that we actually got to buy our own place. What can I do without causing a neighbour war? We've only lived here a few wks n done nothing that could have annoyed the neighbours to make them want to do this?

What area of Melbourne?

Hoping it's just kids being silly. We're just trying to enjoy our new life here. It's an older, established area but as everyone says, you never know who really lives next door until you've moved in... When we viewed the place n checked out the area everything seemed so peaceful. Just never came round at 2am for a look! Checked on here and other sites about the place and all seemed good. Like I was saying, its the first issue we've had and hopefully the last. I'm trusting my gut feelings though and don't want to rock the boat. Thanks for replying though. I reread my post and thought it sounded a bit fake! Wish it was.

Were there any disputes between the previous owners? Nothing came up on the search? Get advice. Check your solicitors haven't been negligent.

You can't let things like this go, but think carefully before making it official.

Research first though, and see where you stand.

Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry to hear this, hopefully it's just kids being kids and their parents would also be upset if they knew what they had been up to.

Just cut them down and get rid of them on this occasion.

I would also do a Google search on the address, it may be a rental property, if so you could chat with the agent if you have any concerns in the future.

I wouldn't provoke them in any way- these sort of people can make life hell. Hope they will get bored with their little game and leave you alone.

On the contrary, these people often push a bit more each time and see what they can get away with.

I'd draw a line.

Certainly wouldn't retaliate. Would certainly be calm and polite. But you need to establish what is and what isn't acceptable.