What entitlements on PR?

Redwine

Hi, my husband and myself are PR residents awaiting my daughter who arrives in a few weeks. She has just found out that she is 6 weeks pregnant. She is coming out with her partner to live. Will being pregnant jeopardise her visa and if not, is she entitled to any benefits or help when she arrives for health care with baby? Any info greatly appreciated.

Do you know roughly what cost for a normal maternity care right up to giving birth ?

It is free for PR's.

In some states she may need to pay for blood work or scans (I did), however, that is certainly not the case everywhere and most is normally refunded on medicare. I have had two children here and the care has been excellent. I did not go privately, but still had a single room and the very best of care for one of my children who was very unwell.

Do you know roughly what cost for a normal maternity care right up to giving birth ?

If she has public care all through the pregnancy and all scans and blood tests are done through a bulk billing provider cost will be very little to nothing.

There are odd things here and there you can choose to pay for - whether public or private, they are the same cost thereabouts - like the NIPT test. She's probably not likely to have it, but if she did have private health cover for obs, and had served the wait period, then there isn't much out of pocket expense doing it that way either.

• 2 weeks later...
When a baby is born from a mother and father who are PR does it automatically become an Australian citizen or does the baby become a citizen when the parents do ?

The baby will automatically be an Australian citizen if born in Australia (because one or more parents already have PR) and he/she will also be a British citizen.

Just apply for the British passport when ready.

The baby will automatically be an Australian citizen if born in Australia (because one or more parents already have PR) and he/she will also be a British citizen.

Just apply for the British passport when ready.

As long as the parents are British citizens AND able to pass that citizenship on.

Archived