We're here in Oz and he's there in the UK - PR to Citizenship

Sulac

Okay here's my dilemma. We moved here two and a half years ago. Downturn took hold here and hubby recently lost his job, then his Dad was terminally ill and he went back to the UK in October. He is now talking about staying in the UK to pick up work as the economy is better there than in WA.

We came on a PR visa as his profession was on the skills shortage list.

I am aware that before we can get Citizenship we have to reach the four year mark and that he is not allowed to be out of the country for more than a year in that four year period.

If he does stay in UK longer than a year can me and the kids still get Citizenship after our four year stay here? I have a job here and the children are very settled in state schools.

Any advice appreciated

Each individual must apply for citizenship in their own right, so there is nothing to prevent you applying for citizenship for yourself. I don't know what the situation is for children but I'm sure someone will!

Children don't need to meet the residency requirement. They can be included on the citizenship application of a parent who has met the residency requirement (note that I think they still need to be in Australia or otherwise be Australian Residents at the time of application but don't need to have clocked up 3 out of the last 4 years).

Agreed with the above posters, yourself and the children can apply for citizenship 4 yrs after landing. On another note, what are your long term plans? I can't imaging your poor husband will want to be on the side of the world from his children for years on end :(

Agreed with the above posters, yourself and the children can apply for citizenship 4 yrs after landing.(

Can be as little as 3 years after landing if you've been in Australia before and so can use the 12 months before arriving as part of your 4 years residency.

Archived