social work in Oz

The Smith Clan

Hi The Smith Clan

i am a social worker ( child protection) I am looking to apply for the 190 this year. That option means you apply for state sponsorship. I am not sure about employer sponsorship for SW but i hope you get some good advice here..

Is there a reason why you don't want to try any of the PR visas types as they appear to have long term benefits.

Hi The Smith Clan

i am a social worker ( child protection) I am looking to apply for the 190 this year. That option means you apply for state sponsorship. I am not sure about employer sponsorship for SW but i hope you get some good advice here..

Is there a reason why you don't want to try any of the PR visas types as they appear to have long term benefits.

I understood this may reduce visa and moving costs? this is all new to me. Are you getting work before you move?

This was the route we looked at but thought if sponsored via job could work out cheaper.

It doesn't really make it any cheaper in the long term. The disadvantage is that you are on a temporary visa and tied to one employer, moving positions/employer can be difficult and it isn't a foregone conclusion that you would progress to PR. A lot of employers, particularly in the public sector now offer little or no financial assistance for moving.

Have a read on the immi website about the different visas. There are significant advantages to the 189. Plus it would be better to apply for 189 while the skill is in demand.

In relation to jobs, my oh did a huge amount of research while waiting for the visa (you need to tailor your letter and cv to show that you understand the Australian system and how your skills are applicable ). My OH got a good job sorted before we came over.

Good luck.

Have a read on the immi website about the different visas. There are significant advantages to the 189. Plus it would be better to apply for 189 while the skill is in demand.

In relation to jobs, my oh did a huge amount of research while waiting for the visa (you need to tailor your letter and cv to show that you understand the Australian system and how your skills are applicable ). My OH got a good job sorted before we came over.

Good luck.

Thank you for your advice, did oh use any particular sites for research?

I understood this may reduce visa and moving costs? this is all new to me. Are you getting work before you move?

No it doesn't reduce costs. If you're going to be working for a government authority, they won't pay the costs anyway. If you go for the 189, it gives you a lot more flexibility - if you can qualify for that I wouldn't even consider anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The pay is better than UK, but then most jobs pay more because of higher cost of living. Have a look at qld gov smartjobs site for job advertisements with details of wages. Salary from about $60,000 up to $100,000 for deputy manager level.

any idea of the extent of work or job decription of team manager inrealiity?

Meanwhile the NG Agency here in Perth where my partner works, it was announced yesterday a major reconstructing of work operations, for the second year running, requiring a twenty per cent cull in Social Workers and Psychologists, over the coming weeks.(making a thirty plus per cent reduction within a year) This is due to a large reduction in government funding. It can be reasonably assumed they will not be alone.

Amazing this area is still importing workers....

• 3 weeks later...