Shipping boxes

Chortlepuss

• 2 weeks later...
I've had that story from removalists before but it's all bluff. If you come across it, tell them you already have your own, so in that case you won't need a quote from them - see how fast they back down!!

Nit quite right, I rang HMRC from here and they said that shipping packed goods clear customs a lot quicker without as many problems. Most shipping companies will include packing as part of your quote. It's not a bad thing at all.

Nit quite right, I rang HMRC from here and they said that shipping packed goods clear customs a lot quicker without as many problems. Most shipping companies will include packing as part of your quote. It's not a bad thing at all.

I guess that could apply for shipping companies that pack and load for you etc.

For a Move Cube mentioned above its self pack and load anyways and the packing box deal they offer its just another way to get a bit of money on top of the cube costs. There is no reason you have to buy from the Move cube company when using a move cube. Was cheaper to order from elsewhere we found. And no hold up or issues clearing customs once in Aus.

I think we got some packing tape and other small items when we got our Movecube pack (mainly consisting of customs instructions and forms to list contents of boxes). We then purchased our boxes from one of the self-storage places (v. expensive but convenient location just around the corner from where we were living) and from a supplier on Ebay UK - great quality boxes at a reasonable price, along with massses of bubble wrap and a giant bag of packing peanuts. That was enough for what we needed. Also picked up a couple of boxes designed for large flat screen TVs, which we then used for pictures.

We packed our own stuff and didn't have any hassle with the Movecube company or with customs.

We had too much stuff for a move cube, plus we are already in the UK, so getting the shippers to re pack and write an inventory suited us. Apparently they were at our storage unit nearly 8 hours doing it. We know the storage unit people quite well and they supervised them packing and said they did a great job.

If we had only a couple of boxes I probably would prefer to pack myself though

We packed ourselves, it wasn't that much cheaper but it was easier as we were staying on for a month after the shoppers had been and also we decluttered as we packed. When the shippers came anything not boxed wasn't to go & by then almost all the furniture we weren't taking had been sold.

We did itemise every box the way our packers coming out had.

We had a mix of boxes - Grace did provide them but we had some that had never been unpacked from moving out!!!!!