Sell paintings

Indianinoz

Hello,

My wife makes excellent paintings. She has made 2 which are attached.

1) The horse one is 16*20 inches.

2) The bird one is 12*16 inches.

She wants to make such paintings regularly and sell it. What is the best way out? Is there a website where she could sell this regularly rather than having to upload it at web sites like gumtree.com.au and sell individually? If yes, which would you recommend?

Also, any idea how much these should be sold for? How much are both these worth for?

20151228_195201.jpg

20151228_225807.jpg

20151228_195201.jpg

20151228_225807.jpg

She could try Etsy and a page on FB and so on. Tbh I don't know it would be worthwhile selling online as shipping will add a lot and people usually like to view art in person. I tend to buy original art in person only via a gallery. She could consider a stall at a craft market also. Or see if a local gallery will sell her work on commission or some such.

As to cost, no clue.

I think a stall at a market or a craft centre would be a good start so she can gauge the market and see what type of picture sells the best. Sometimes Cafes may display and sell art for a commission too.

Also she could consider making smaller items like gift cards with her artwork to sell alongside that would help get an idea of popular designs that might sell as bigger pictures too.

Personally they are not to my taste but I do see similar styles being sold at markets and craft fares. Maybe visit a few to see what does sell.

Etsy is definitely the best option on-line - I was using it just yesterday to search for art for our front room.

She should also set up a Facebook page - I have liked a number of artists pages & tried to commission an original before Christmas - unfortunately she was taking no more commissions.

To hazard a guess I would say limited edition prints could sell for up to $50 and originals unframed for up to around $300 depending on size.

To be brutal I am not convinced they are that good but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm no artist - assuming the outlay is small and she is not giving up a job to do this then nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Archived