Is the Last remaining relative visa finished?

julianuk

Does anyone have a clue if this thing still going or has it been scrapped and replaced with something else? I've done hours of research online and still have no idea whether it was scrapped or not as each site gives different answers.

If its still going can you apply and then stay in Australia until it's processed or do you have to stay out of Australia and wait however long it is for it to be processed?

Does anyone have a clue if this thing still going or has it been scrapped and replaced with something else? I've done hours of research online and still have no idea whether it was scrapped or not as each site gives different answers.

If its still going can you apply and then stay in Australia until it's processed or do you have to stay out of Australia and wait however long it is for it to be processed?

It is still going, but has a huge waiting list and a very small amount of visas available each year.

The visa must be applied for outside Australia and also can only be granted while you are outside australia.

You'll need another substantive visa to remain in Australia while this visa application is progressed, as I don't think that you'd be eligible for a bridging visa.

Have a look at the Immigration department website, that will tell you the official answer that yes, it still exists.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/115-

Thanks for the information Captain C looks like age discrimination alive and well in Australia.

What on earth has age discrimination got to do with anything with regard to this visa?

That was one of the useless websites I visited, tells me nothing at all.

If you actually bother to read the page linked to it tells you everything you need to know about the visa, including the answers to the questions asked in your original post. If you are struggling to understand the information on the website then maybe you need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent.

That was one of the useless websites I visited, tells me nothing at all.

Usually posters thank people for offering help.You've just joined PIO.A little courtesy goes a long way!Ive just had a look at the link Nemesis linked you.Why is the link useless?Because you've just found out the doors closed for you entering Australia?:ssign4:

If you understood the rules you would know if you're 45 or over you can't get a visa. Its called age discrimination. And the site tells me nothing I want to know.

What on earth has age discrimination got to do with anything with regard to this visa?

If you actually bother to read the page linked to it tells you everything you need to know about the visa, including the answers to the questions asked in your original post. If you are struggling to understand the information on the website then maybe you need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent.

Read post 4. You obviously missed it. The site mentions nothing about where you have to wait until you get a visa does it?

Usually posters thank people for offering help.You've just joined PIO.A little courtesy goes a long way!Ive just had a look at the link Nemesis linked you.Why is the link useless?Because you've just found out the doors closed for you entering Australia?:ssign4:

If you understood the rules you would know if you're 45 or over you can't get a visa. Its called age discrimination. And the site tells me nothing I want to know.

It's actually 50 years old for a skilled visa.

There's no age limit for practically all other visas, including the visa you asked about in your first post.

Read post 4. You obviously missed it. The site mentions nothing about where you have to wait until you get a visa does it?

Did you open all of the expandable headings on the website link you were given. There's a lot of other information contained in there including where you have to be to apply for this visa and also that you must be outside of Australia to apply for this visa.

The website is the official Department of Immigration and Border Protection website. It is the only official source for Australian visas, but does take a little bit of effort to find exactly what you need on some occasions, as there is a lot of information contained within it.

I do understand the rules, which is why I know you can apply for the last remaining relative visa at any age. The government site tells you who can apply for the visa, where you have to be to apply and where you have to be when the visa is granted, how to apply including what documents to submit, how much it costs, what the wait times are, who can sponsor and the sponsor's obligations. I'm not sure what information you need to know that isn't on there to be honest. If you are struggling to find a visa suitable for your circumstances then maybe you should contact a migration agent for advice.

It's discrimination if there is no valid reason for it. If there is a valid reason for it, then it's not discrimination. I know it's really tough when it affects you, and I'm sorry you find yourself in that situation, but I can see the logic.

You might as well say that Australia practices clerical discrimination because it doesn't have a visa for clerical workers. But it 's not discrimination because there's a good reason - they'd probably end up unemployed and a burden on the state, because there are plenty of local applicants. The same applies to age restrictions.

If you're allowed into Australia in your 20's or 30's, you'll work for many years and pay taxes - which means you've offset the expense you're going to cause the taxpayer when you're old and require extra health care, pensions, aged care etc.

If you're allowed into Australia later in life, or without skills that Australia recognises as in demand, then you are more likely to be a burden on the taxpayer much sooner, before you've had the chance to contribute a meaningful amount to offset that. That's why most of the "aged parent" type visas charge such large amounts of money.

Yes, officially it still exists but the processing time is 50 years, making it useless for any practical purpose.

I understand that.

However, the OP appeared to be having problems with 'useless websites' so I thought it might at least help if they were made aware of the official site, with the official rules. Seems he felt that the Point-of-truth site was useless, so I'm not really sure what else he wants!

Hi, my son is on the 835 Last Remaing visa onshore. Basically if you are already here and in a job then you can apply and stay on a Bridging Visa A. If you are not working then you are able to stay but you won't have any working rights. My son as he was only 20 when he applied was on a working holiday visa and he had to get the restrictions lifted by the minister so he had unrestricted working rights. The wait as all other memebers have said is enormous now 50 years. For us this is the only way for him to stay. Only a bit of information for you but hope it helps

Debbs

Hi, my son is on the 835 Last Remaing visa onshore. Basically if you are already here and in a job then you can apply and stay on a Bridging Visa A. If you are not working then you are able to stay but you won't have any working rights. My son as he was only 20 when he applied was on a working holiday visa and he had to get the restrictions lifted by the minister so he had unrestricted working rights. The wait as all other memebers have said is enormous now 50 years. For us this is the only way for him to stay. Only a bit of information for you but hope it helps

Debbs

Thanks for posting this Debbs72, I had no idea that the 835 visa was still available. This would be good news for the OP.

Archived