Moving to Queensland, Australia with Hubby and 2 young children.

Sharron

Hi Everyone,

I'd Just like to say in advance thank you for taking your time in reading this and for responding as anything anyone has to say is very helpful.

Our story is we are from Hertfordshire in the UK, we have 2 beautiful outgoing, outdoorsy kids of 5 and 4. My husband has worked in Property for the same company for 25 years and is now the Sales Director for the past 5 years of a very successful chain of Estate Agencies in North London. I gave up working in Recruitment in the city to look after my kids though am keen to get back into the swing of things when we get to Oz.

We're able to come over and be mortgage free, with cars and a little in the bank (not huge amount by any means) though will see us ok for 12 months.

We were initially thinking of Adelaide as we have family there, though we love nature, wildlife, the ocean, the great outdoors, and laid back lifestyle, love the tropics and are very sociable people. We are looking at the Sunshine Coast and are gobsmacked at the houses and land you can purchase. My anxiety doesn't lye with any of those points but whether we will be able to find work?

And live the dream? As silly as that may seem. We have had enough of the fast pace, we want to start enjoying life more, but we dont want to struggle trying to reach our dreams if that makes sense. We are both on the other side of our Mid 40's though are quite young at heart people. We are more than capable of working hard, and giving things a go. The other thing is Steve has left everything to me and I really dont know where to start looking for houses? What suburbs? Do I look at the schools first? State that is. Do I look at distance? Where the jobs are? I wouldn't know what the nicer family areas are, We have been told Doonan is great? Also is it easy to meet people and make good friends? We envisage our weekends being spent having people around for BBQs with all the kids in the pools and just generally having a great life.

If anyone has any advice with areas, schooling, work, and meeting people and any advice regarding the move and transition, what we may need to consider I truly would love to hear from you. Thanks again Sharron x

Hi Everyone,

I'd Just like to say in advance thank you for taking your time in reading this and for responding as anything anyone has to say is very helpful.

Our story is we are from Hertfordshire in the UK, we have 2 beautiful outgoing, outdoorsy kids of 5 and 4. My husband has worked in Property for the same company for 25 years and is now the Sales Director for the past 5 years of a very successful chain of Estate Agencies in North London. I gave up working in Recruitment in the city to look after my kids though am keen to get back into the swing of things when we get to Oz.

We're able to come over and be mortgage free, with cars and a little in the bank (not huge amount by any means) though will see us ok for 12 months.

We were initially thinking of Adelaide as we have family there, though we love nature, wildlife, the ocean, the great outdoors, and laid back lifestyle, love the tropics and are very sociable people. We are looking at the Sunshine Coast and are gobsmacked at the houses and land you can purchase. My anxiety doesn't lye with any of those points but whether we will be able to find work?

And live the dream? As silly as that may seem. We have had enough of the fast pace, we want to start enjoying life more, but we dont want to struggle trying to reach our dreams if that makes sense. We are both on the other side of our Mid 40's though are quite young at heart people. We are more than capable of working hard, and giving things a go. The other thing is Steve has left everything to me and I really dont know where to start looking for houses? What suburbs? Do I look at the schools first? State that is. Do I look at distance? Where the jobs are? I wouldn't know what the nicer family areas are, We have been told Doonan is great? Also is it easy to meet people and make good friends? We envisage our weekends being spent having people around for BBQs with all the kids in the pools and just generally having a great life.

If anyone has any advice with areas, schooling, work, and meeting people and any advice regarding the move and transition, what we may need to consider I truly would love to hear from you. Thanks again Sharron x

Where the jobs are has to be your first consideration.

Do you already have a visa? If not, then the first action to take is to find out if you eligible for a visa.

I'd definitely say check out the work opportunities first. Seek.com.au is the best place to look, but it's unlikely you'll be able to secure jobs before you go. Instead, note which agencies are offering jobs in your fields, and call them up to ask questions about your job prospects, what employers are looking for etc.

It's easy to get excited about cheap housing when you don't know the areas, but be cautious - often if the housing is cheap, it's because demand in that area is low (ie. there's no work or no schools). Also check commute times, distances are much greater between towns. If you buy rural, you may be a very long way from amenities.

Personally, I wouldn't underestimate the value of having family close by. You're going to be leaving all your friends as well as your UK family behind, so you'll arrive with absolutely no support network to help you out if things go wrong - which they inevitably will, few migrations go perfectly smoothly! If you can stay with them for the first few weeks, it will remove a lot of the stress - otherwise you'll have to book a holiday flat for a month or so while you frantically rush around looking for a long-term rental.

Thanks so much for the advice. I have left one important factor out, and that's I'm Australian myself though have lived here for 20 years. Though never in Queensland. Fortunately the exchange rate is good so I guess when I talk cheap housing I mean in comparison to London prices. But completely agree with what you say, definitely worth thinking about. We are hoping to come on a holiday there in March, to hopefully secure something, then return to sort everything out and then come the following year. Unfortunately my family aren't close so it's better to be apart in these circumstances. Thank you for your time x

Go where you can get a job, then look at houses and the schools will fall into place. Make sure you have your UK citizenship in the bag before you go just in case you might one day want to return (the spouse visa is pretty draconian these days)

Hi Everyone,

Hi Sharon,

Good luck with your move. We came back from QLD earlier this year as my husband was head-hunted, but we were out in QLD for just over a year. I should just point out that we totally regret coming back and don't expect to last the year before heading back to where we now consider home!

I take earlier points about finding work first - obviously this is really important. There are some nice suburbs close to Brisbane but with plenty of stuff for the kids to do and some great schools and new train links. Have you considered North Lakes/Mango Hill? The property market there is booming and further development is going on. Mango Hill State School is reportedly brilliant and there is a very good and well priced private school in North Lakes. The shopping facilities have recently had an upgrade and addition of a cinema and Ikea. On top of that it is an incredibly friendly place - we settled incredibly quickly. I think this is probably due to the very diverse population and everyone being far away from family and friends - I would now say this area houses many life-long friends.

Obviously there are loads of other great suburbs, but this is worth a look at! I also would recommend the Scarborough Beach Resort who have been known to do a good deal for a stay of several months while you're waiting for shipping to arrive.

Good luck

The Sunshine Coast is a fantastic area but work wise more of an issue. There are some lovely suburbs north of Brisbane which would enable you to work in cbd and a short drive up the Sunshine Coast at the weekend. Re suburbs, depends on whether you want housing estate or more individual area. North Lakes has got a great community feel but a little too much new housing estate for me.

Definitely get job sorted then think housing and schooling.

I am one of the people who normally say check out the work front on the Sunny Coast, but to be honest in property you should get a job relatively easy anywhere in SE QLD..

Lots of luck with the move, lots of families seem to like the Buderim area so that maybe worth a look.

Don't forget you will need a holiday type place to stay in when you first arrive as its risky and nearly impossible to rent longer term until you are here to inspect homes. Realestate.com will give you a guide to what rentals and sale prices are in the areas you short list.

Cal x

Archived