Best student visa option to extend stay in OZ

nicmark

Hi All,

Was looking for some advice regarding a student visa for my son.

Unfortunately his skills assessment may fall through for his PR application therefore we are looking for the best student visa.

Focusing on Both price and length of stay and wondered if anyone had any ideas or experience of this. He needs this to be processed before Feb when his second WHV ends.

He is in construction

Cheers guys

Nik

Hi All,

Was looking for some advice regarding a student visa for my son.

Unfortunately his skills assessment may fall through for his PR application therefore we are looking for the best student visa.

The thing that occurs to me is that it's a very temporary solution. If he's studying, then he can't build up any work experience in his current profession, so he will be even worse off by the end of his course - and he can't study forever.

I notice you had an older thread asking for possible solutions for him - did you ever work out what his chances were of getting PR?

It's the course he needs to choose, then the visa will be self evident. Is he planning on going to Uni and retraining or consolidating his skills maybe at TAFE. He may still have to face leaving once he's done with the study though.

Cheers Quoll,

its a temporary fix i know but thats what we need at the moment. He's a forming joiner but his girlfriend is a mental health nurse and they are looking into sponsorship for her too. So we are looking at the cheapest option really that will extend his visa. Any course and the best length of stay.

We've spent the best part of this year doing IELTS and preparing for his skills assessment Just don't want him to have to leave.

Cheers

Nik

Cheers Quoll,

its a temporary fix i know but thats what we need at the moment. He's a forming joiner but his girlfriend is a mental health nurse and they are looking into sponsorship for her too. So we are looking at the cheapest option really that will extend his visa. Any course and the best length of stay.

We've spent the best part of this year doing IELTS and preparing for his skills assessment Just don't want him to have to leave.

Like I said, my concern is that a big part of qualifying for PR is getting experience - qualifications alone are not enough. So looking towards a long-term solution, he might actually be better off going back to the UK for a while and building up his years of experience than staying and doing a course that won't contribute to his ultimate goal.

The thing that occurs to me is that it's a very temporary solution. If he's studying, then he can't build up any work experience in his current profession, so he will be even worse off by the end of his course - and he can't study forever.

I notice you had an older thread asking for possible solutions for him - did you ever work out what his chances were of getting PR?

Hi,

You're right it is a temporary solution and thats what we need for the time being. He is working with a migration agent and looking into the chances of doing his carpentry skills assessment with vettases. He has the experience he is a forming joiner. Really just need a quick fix to bridge a gap to extend his stay until he can sort other options he has open to him.

Im happy to receive other ideas if you have any.

Cheers

Nik

Could he establish that he has been living with his girlfriend for 12 months? If so, as a nurse, she is likely to qualify for an independent visa and he could go on her visa.

Hi, thanks for your reply

Thats their other option.

His girlfriend has been oz on a WHV since Sept this year but they have both been backwards and forward since Jan and I think the de facto rule has changed about having to live together. Still If he was able to stay on a student visa that period of living together would be longer.

Like I said we need the fast fix desperate I know but that's where we are :wubclub:

Any ideas?

thanks again

Nik

The courses are EXPENSIVE! You also have to satisfy immigrantion that you are a genuine student. It might not be so easy.

He'd want to sign up for at least a years course which would probably be minimum $15k now just for the course. Then you HAVE to have Heath insurance for that visa.

Unless it's a master course etc then he will be restricted to only working 20 hours a week.

If his girlfriend can get a 457 visa they only need to show they have lived together for 6 months.

Archived