3 months so far...

Alix Fisher

So I've finally got abit of spare time to write a post about my first 3 months in Australia!!

Arrived 11th September on a WHV, went straight to a hostel in Sydney, wanted to find farm work by 22nd and couldn't. The two girls I was with pissed around too much and I ended up missing the deadline for finding farm work which still meant I could go to Bali for Xmas and New Year. As my plan was to find farm work by 22nd and get it finished by Christmas, fly to Bali for Xmas and New Year and then find work in Sydney in the New Year.

This then led me to find work in Sydney in a call centre whilst in the process of applying for my AHPRA- long process and so much stress and worry thinking I've not got everything right.

Sydney for me has turned into somewhere I'll call home- the lovely sights of Kings Cross, to constantly getting lost 3 months in, to spending most of the time in O Malleys, always taking a picture of Bondi Beach when I get off the bus because it's as beautiful as ever and still feeling myself never ever getting bored of seeing the Opera House and Harbour Bridge for the millionth time.

I then booked Bali with my friend and a week or so ago my AHPRA came through and I had a locum radiography job lined up in Bunbury (WA) smaller than my hometown back in England!!

Got another job lined up for when I'm back from Bali for 3 weeks, then with the money I've earnt from the jobs I'll travel the East Coast from Feb for a month. I'm also going to book Singapore for 2 weeks in April then fly to Fiji for 2 weeks over my birthday then back to Sydney. Although I'm thinking the 24 hour flight from Singapore to Fiji is going to be HELL on earth - maybe I'll do a stop over. But I'm so glad everything is working out well, after a year of saving up throughout Uni, worrying about everything before I got here, breaking up with my partner of 3 years.. It seems I've finally got some happiness!!

To anyone reading this who is worrying about coming to Australia or even going travelling, do NOT think twice. It'll be the best thing you'll ever do, and the stress, drama, and worry is so worth it!!

I've had the best 3 months ever and I can't wait for all the more adventures I'll have. Never felt happier![emoji5] - my dreams have finally become a reality and isn't that the goal?

Glad to hear you love life in Sydney. I was talking to a girl on a WHV the other night and one of the things she told me she loves is seeing the harbour and Circular Quay every day on the way to work.

I guess you are living at Bondi Beach, also spectacular, and I love the views as I turn left on Bondi Road down to the beach or from North Bondi. If you are living there, and have not been there yet, check out North Bondi RSL. I have to say that I don't like going to Bondi though because it's hard to park and it is too big for me.

Is it really a 24 hour flight from Singapore to Fiji? I was thinking it would be about 8 hours from Singapore to Sydney, and then 3 or 4 to Fiji? Maybe fly via Melbourne or Brisbane and stop over there? I see you can do it in about 15 hours although that might be a more expensive flight?

What is this call centre job you are doing? Is it easy? Does it involve "cold-calling?" I've been thinking that, after 12 months of bludging I should try and get another job, using my one skill of being able to type. I've done data entry on and off but I've never doine call centre work. My last job was in Penrith and I loved the job but hated the commuting (from Surry Hills.)

Now, at 7.30pm, I might push myself to drive to the beach for a late swim - not Bondi!

Well I've now decided to go from Australia - Singapore and then fly from Singapore to Kuala Lumpar, going to spend 9 nights in both places and then fly from there to Nadi and go onwards. It's only 15 hours from Kuala, 3 hour wait in Melbourne! So all good.

It was cold calling to begin with, basically getting people to refinance their mortgage- $19 an hour. Slave labour in a way but easy work I guess. I'm now on $41 an hour doing Radiography so a massive jump!! I wouldn't ever recommend a call centre job to ANYONE. First and last!! Lol.

Don't get ate by a shark!! Lol

Well I've now decided to go from Australia - Singapore and then fly from Singapore to Kuala Lumpar, going to spend 9 nights in both places and then fly from there to Nadi and go onwards. It's only 15 hours from Kuala, 3 hour wait in Melbourne! So all good.

It was cold calling to begin with, basically getting people to refinance their mortgage- $19 an hour. Slave labour in a way but easy work I guess. I'm now on $41 an hour doing Radiography so a massive jump!! I wouldn't ever recommend a call centre job to ANYONE. First and last!! Lol.

I don't know about the call centre job you had but son worked in a call centre here in Australia while going to Uni it paid $23 an hour good money i thought and good hours for a uni student. Enjoy your adventures.

No cold calling for me. No sharks either as there is a net at Nielsen Park protecting the not aptly named (I hope) Shark Bay.uploadfromtaptalk1449396084388.jpg

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1449396084388.jpg

No cold calling for me. No sharks either as there is a net at Nielsen Park protecting the not aptly named (I hope) Shark Bay.

A diver once said to me that the only way a Port Jackson shark could hurt you, was if someone hit you over the head with one.

Mind you, "real" sharks do come into the Harbour sometimes, but only as far as Middle Harbour usually. So if you're not a NorthShore-ite, nothing to worry about!

There was that navy diver who was attacked by a shark at Woolloomooloo in 2009 and lost a hand and a leg.

I can also remember a shark taking a chunk out of a rowing boat at Gladesville a few years ago. Right where all the kids row on the Parramatta River.

And there used to be a 'Beware of the Sharks' sign near Milperra, years ago. Clearly sharks had been spotted that far upstream the Georges River.

I would be very careful when swimming anywhere in the harbour or any of the rivers around Sydney. :err:

A diver once said to me that the only way a Port Jackson shark could hurt you, was if someone hit you over the head with one.

Mind you, "real" sharks do come into the Harbour sometimes, but only as far as Middle Harbour usually. So if you're not a NorthShore-ite, nothing to worry about!

Remember the RAN diver at Garden Island four or five years ago?

There was that navy diver who was attacked by a shark at Woolloomooloo in 2009 and lost a hand and a leg.

I can also remember a shark taking a chunk out of a rowing boat at Gladesville a few years ago. Right where all the kids row on the Parramatta River.

And there used to be a 'Beware of the Sharks' sign near Milperra, years ago. Clearly sharks had been spotted that far upstream the Georges River.

I would be very careful when swimming anywhere in the harbour or any of the rivers around Sydney. :err:

The last person to die from a shark attack in the harbour was near Castlecrag I think, Middle Harbour, 1963?

Archived