Moving to Melbourne in 2016

silverchair

My family and I (husband, wife and 2 kids aged 5 and 4) are moving to melbourne in 2016. We're looking at ares like Ashburton and Glen Iris. Any pointers on what these locations are like? We are looking at public schools which seem to have good rankings. Any feedback would be appreciated!

We're also planning a recon trip in March to explore living there. What do you reckon we check out? And any leads on short term rentals during that period say for a few weeks????

My family and I (husband, wife and 2 kids aged 5 and 4) are moving to melbourne in 2016. We're looking at ares like Ashburton and Glen Iris. Any pointers on what these locations are like? We are looking at public schools which seem to have good rankings. Any feedback would be appreciated!

We're also planning a recon trip in March to explore living there. What do you reckon we check out? And any leads on short term rentals during that period say for a few weeks????

Both nice areas which I pass through from time to time.

If you're going to be driving on the Monash at peak times from those suburbs, expect it to be very busy. Good availability for public transport; trains at both suburbs and Malvern nearby. Trams too.

Most schools need you to live in the area to have your kids enrolled there. As such, "good" schools attract a lot of competition in the local housing market. Expect rents to be high too as a result of that.

For short term rentals try AirBnB. I don't know if temporary accommodation will help you to get your kids in school though. Don't expect Real Estate agencies to be very pro-active in finding you a house. They don't have to due to lots of competition. They will all take your details and tell you that they'll be in touch if they have anything matching your requirements, but you can take that with a pinch of salt! When you are actively looking for long term accommodation, you need to do all the work, scouring all the agencies, viewings, and be ready to apply at a viewing to get in quick! Desirable accommodation goes quickly normally.

If you will have a car when you come over in March, i'd have a good look around lots of suburbs to see if you get a fuzzy feeling for them! Most suburbs all have the usual same facilities; local shops, doctors, schools, some level of public transport etc etc. Well worth having a look around.

For short term rentals you are probably best off looking at either renting a holiday house or a serviced apartment. I won't do anyone a favour by bigging up their business, but Google "Serviced Apartment Melbourne" or use a well known company that does peer to peer lettings (starts with an "A").

You're definitely doing the right thing coming on a recce first. Melbourne is a big, big place and things that look close together on a map rarely are. Until you actually see them for yourself you won't know.

Thanks suzukiscottie for the insight. It's good to know that those areas are nice. The schools did say that we need to be living within their boundary map to be enrolled in the school. We hope to meet with the schools and have a look around while we're there. Not too sure about renting a car while we're there, but we'll look into that option.

Thanks for the pointer on the short term rentals. Found a few places through there. I'm getting the sense of the real estate agents not being very proactive. But I am assuming that's the story with almost everything until we are actually physically on the ground. It really is a nerve racking process having 2 lil kids in tow, and wanting to make the move easier for them. We are looking to have a long term rental for the time being and not really looking at investing in buying a house in the immediate short term.

On another note what would the weather be like around March? chilly? windy? rainy? sunny - hopefully?! :)

Thanks Petkula.... Google is a very close friend of mine these days! I'm anxious about the March trip and hoping to have things planned out as well as we can so as to make the best of our time there. I'm actually concerned about the renting of a place, and hope that falls into place. A lot is dependent on that.

Most people on the forum seem to just go ahead and take the plunge! i'm not nearly as brave, so let's hope the recon trip helps to ease my nerves!

I'm just wondering whether I need to be packing shorts, or sweatshirts :)

Autumn is a lovely time of year in Victoria, the best season in my opinion, but it could be in the 30s one day and cool and rainy the next, probably err on the side of warmth in March, maybe take a light waterproof jacket, it certainly wont be cold, although the locals might think it is :laugh:

Depends on your budget these suburbs are in the high rent/buy areas of Melbourne. Anywhere 10 - 15 km from the city is expensive. Older homes no insulation in a lot rentals. March is a good time to come, can be hot in the day and cool in the night.

So much for you to look at Melbourne is such a huge sprawling city the size of Greater London. Depends how long your reccie will be how much you will be able to do.

We lived in Glen Iris until 2 years ago. Nice area, affluent, high house prices. A lot of demand for rentals. No idea about schools. Good for public transport, we used the Alamein train line to the CBD. Camberwell, Malvern are good shopping strips nearby.

But we prefer living in Geelong where we moved to.

We did our reccie at Easter this year. It was hot (not hot for melbourne, but a hot UK summer day) one day and poured down the next. A umbrella / light coat will be fine, but you wont be cold.

We used stayz.com.au to find a holiday let and had no bother.

Assume you will have a car - remember to plan a few 'holiday' items, we have 2 young kids and had to break up travelling around areas with fun stuff.

We looked around areas and went to a couple of house viewings to get an idea of what you get for your money - real estate sales is the same as the uk, the online advert/brochure doesnt really show you the truth.

We went around a couple of homemaker centres to cost up beds/sofas/TV's / delete as appropriate to help decide what to ship and what to replace

We did a couple of beach days / trip to the CBD (tram/sea life centre) etc for the kids.

Remember that it needs to be fun as well as data collecting

We've been living in Mount Waverley for the past 3.5 years, which is fairly close to Ashburton/Ashwood, and a bit further out from the CBD than Glen Iris. We love the area and there are some great schools, but @Petals is correct that house prices are high. The median house price in Mount Waverley now is just over AU$1million. Ashburton would be about the same, and Glen Iris substantially higher. We've been paying between $400-500 per week for rent in that time for 3 bed places. If you wanted a newer property however, the cost would be at least $650-700 per week.

Thanks guys for the input. From the looks of it, the areas seem to be nice areas. We definitely need to put together a schedule, including time for the kids have fun! We will make it a point to check out what we need to ship and what we can replace.

In terms of rentals, the number of places advertised for rent is not a lot. I hope we do find something that we're looking for!

I really appreciate the feedback! Thank you!

Early March can be the hottest time of the year in Melbourne, very sticky but usually by late March things have begun to cool off . If you are looking at state schools , both Glen Waverley and Mt Waverley have the best secondary level schools in the state and their primary schools are pretty good,too. You have to be 'in zone' but that applies to most places. If you are looking at private schools round Camberwell, Kew, Canterbury is the hub of these schools though Wesley is in Glen Waverley.

Thanks Petkula.... Google is a very close friend of mine these days! I'm anxious about the March trip and hoping to have things planned out as well as we can so as to make the best of our time there. I'm actually concerned about the renting of a place, and hope that falls into place. A lot is dependent on that.

Most people on the forum seem to just go ahead and take the plunge! i'm not nearly as brave, so let's hope the recon trip helps to ease my nerves!

If you're anxious go down the serviced apartment route whilst you sort yourself out. We stayed in one from Corporate Keys for a year when we first arrived (paid for by my company). I'm not recommending them as they're much of a muchness, but it'll give you an idea of what is available. Don't search too far in advance as most of the apartments are available now, rather than planning to be vacant for several months. You can stay in somewhere decent for $130 a night, which is much less than a hotel and it's your own space. I know it's not ideal, but you don't want to lie awake at night worrying about getting a long term rental before you've arrived.

Hi silverchair, I have been a silent follower of Poms in Oz for many months now. We are in a similar situation to yourselves. We too are a family of 4 (2 boys aged 4 and 2) and are moving to Melbourne next year. We have booked our flights and arrive at the end of February. We have booked a short term rental for 5 weeks while we have a look around to decide where we want to settle. We are considering the Blackburn area which doesn't seem too far from Ashburton and Glen Iris? Neither myself nor my husband have jobs so are just taking the plunge and hoping we secure employment soon after arrival....would be good to get some views on the Blackburn area and the primary schools in that area. Started to get very excited now!

Thanks guys... I have heard much about Mount Waverly having a very good secondary school system and good primary schools. My kids are much younger though and will only be starting school when we move. I guess that doesn't necessarily tie us down to any particular suburb in the long run.

From the looks of it, the weather shouldn't be much to worry about. I did check out the Corporate keys and similar stuff, however you are right - it is much of a muchness. Almost equivalent of staying at a hotel. But that is an option we will keep open cos you never know right?!

Nasacar, nice to know that this is your first post. I've been on Pomsinoz since we starting applying for our PR, sometimes silent, sometimes not! But I must say that its a really helpful forum and probably the best out there! :) Blackburn looks a bit more in the east. You can find a link to the new suburb rankings on another thread in the forum. We haven't secured jobs either and we're pretty much taking the plunge like you! If you're looking at schools, the kids have to turn 5 to actually start school. I found a ranking of public primary schools here: http://bettereducation.com.au/school/Primary/vic/melbourne_top_government_primary_schools.aspx

That might help you. You might need to check out preschools though.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the link silverchair, our eldest turns 5 in December so will be looking to start school when we arrive this looks like a useful website. I guess though there's nothing better than actually having a look around and getting a feel for a place. We actually have friends who live out in the Eastern suburbs so we're hoping to settle nearby initially. There are several schools in Blackburn and surrounding suburbs amongst the top rankings on the website you sent through, which is reassuring. When are you looking to make the permanent move after your reccie? I've handed my notice in from work and starting to get shipping quotes so no going back now!

Blackburn is a lovely area but fairly pricey- especially round Blackburn Lake. Very leafy and personally I prefer it to Glen Waverley and Mt Waverley. Trains run into the city from Blackburn station regularly. Another place nearby is Forest Hill, also nice and maybe slightly cheaper. I like the shops at Forest Hill, not as frantic as Ringwood and some others.

Thanks Starlight for the input, we have booked our short term accommodation in Forest Hills for when we arrive so will give us a good chance to look around the area. Do you know how easy it is to arrange a permanent rental without a job lined up etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

Evening All,

Things have been moving too quick that we find ourselves invited to apply for the 189. We plan a recce trip in May 2016 to Melbourne including a quick trip to Sydney and move by Oct/Nov 2016. We have searched and questioned between Sydney and Melbourne a lot but with no significant reason to chose either, we decided to move to Melbourne as we have close family there.

It's just the 2 of us and no kids, and we are looking to newer areas north of CBD. With our cousins in Epping, I'd like to get more info about Epping as well as surrounding towns. Yes, it seems to be new with a lot of new builds but we dont mind that. With kids and schooling worries atleast 5 years away, and new towns expanding, we are not too bent on a particular place. As we are looking at Epping, it makes sense for me to understand more about the town and surrounding ones too so any help or links to websites will be appreciated

Thanks

Ken

Edited by Kenfrapin
incomplete sentence

Thanks amibovered, this data helps. A little more in terms of articles, opinions, comparison with other places etc would also help us understand better. I know everyone has their own opinion but few things come to mind : has Epping been improving over the years, does it have decent facilities, does it have a nice community feel with parks that we can visit, is it known to be an improving town etc etc