Moving to Melbourne in 2016

silverchair

Thanks amibovered, this data helps. A little more in terms of articles, opinions, comparison with other places etc would also help us understand better. I know everyone has their own opinion but few things come to mind : has Epping been improving over the years, does it have decent facilities, does it have a nice community feel with parks that we can visit, is it known to be an improving town etc etc

It's so subjective, but I'll have a go, Epping is a established suburb, big indoor shopping centre, big hospital, it's not really a town, more a suburb, surrounded by other suburbs, some new housing estates going up in the northern part of Epping towards Wollert, quite industrial in some places, almost anything north of South Morang has been built in the last few years, Mernda and Doreen very new, I'd give Craigeiburn a miss, as I say,it's all subjective.

Thank you again,

Before I type, I do hope I am not hijacking the thread as I thought it was better I post my question here as this was the main topic for people looking at option like me.

I spent the day at work trying to find more information on Epping, how it was and how it has changed. I read that Epping is a considered a good suburb, about 45 mins to an hour away from CBD, has a train station, quite a well known mall, a hospital and a good amount of parks

Personally for us, we prefer newer build homes with insulation and a modern feel. Coming from the UK, every house seems huge so while I know the newer homes may have smaller rooms, these still have double the number and size of average rooms we get in the UK. Coupled with a good mix of cultures and younger families, this does seem to fit the bill.

We are also coming alone, and even if it was comparable to or slightly less preferable to other suburbs, having close family in Epping and Lalor means we cant go too wrong in choosing this as our first base to look around for a year. Maybe we will find better places once we spend enough time and get to know what Melbourne has to offer

Thanks again for the responses and fingers crossed for a fantastic adventure to all those moving out there :)

Ken

• 3 months later...
Hi silverchair, I have been a silent follower of Poms in Oz for many months now. We are in a similar situation to yourselves. We too are a family of 4 (2 boys aged 4 and 2) and are moving to Melbourne next year. We have booked our flights and arrive at the end of February. We have booked a short term rental for 5 weeks while we have a look around to decide where we want to settle. We are considering the Blackburn area which doesn't seem too far from Ashburton and Glen Iris? Neither myself nor my husband have jobs so are just taking the plunge and hoping we secure employment soon after arrival....would be good to get some views on the Blackburn area and the primary schools in that area. Started to get very excited now!

Hi Nasacar ,

YOu must have just arrived In Victoria and hope you are settling down. Can you please share your research for short term rentals some websites or email ids, We are a couple in our mid 30s planning to take the plunge down under and have Victoria on our radar for our first stop of exploration.

Would appreciate the help!!

Hi Nasacar ,

YOu must have just arrived In Victoria and hope you are settling down. Can you please share your research for short term rentals some websites or email ids, We are a couple in our mid 30s planning to take the plunge down under and have Victoria on our radar for our first stop of exploration.

Would appreciate the help!!

Hi Dazken Amac, I have PMd you.

BB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dazken Amac,

Yes we have been here a couple of weeks now, arrived just as Autumn was beginning, thinkiing it may be slightly cooler but no it was 40° on Tuesday!! Having a great time exploring the area with our boys. We are staying in the Eastern suburbs which is 30 minutes to the city and 30 minutes to the coast. We have a short term rental (5 weeks) in Forest Hills it is a 2 bedroom house and has everything we need (including a laundry room ?!). Short term accommodation isn't cheap but then you don't have to pay any bills and our house even has foxtel so we are getting to watch all the football from back home!! Haven't yet secured a longer term rental but house hunting this weekend so fingers crossed. Good luck with your plans and if you have any more queries please don't hesitate to shout.