Nice suburbs in sydney

jack barker

Looking at a budget around 600 a week. We have the car. I'm a joiner so will be working all over, don't want to be too far out. Is places like beacons field And Randwick OK to stay? Or is there anywhere u recommend stay clear of? Currently staying at putts point and it's not where we want to stay haha

I was expecting some current Sydney residents to chime in on this one. (My first hand knowledge is way out of date). However I seem to remember someone recently suggesting Randwick for a family so it must be OK. The ones with poor reputation seem to be out west...and not central enough for you if travelling all over. If you look through other threads on this NSW forum you will see others' thoughts on various suburbs.

There are hundreds of nice suburbs in Sydney. Depends what you like?

If you like swimming and surfing then choose a beach suburb. If you like bushwalking then choose an outer suburb near a national park or the Blue Mountains. If you like the cafe scene then choose inner city.

What do you like to do in your downtime?

Looking at a budget around 600 a week. We have the car. I'm a joiner so will be working all over, don't want to be too far out. Is places like beacons field And Randwick OK to stay? Or is there anywhere u recommend stay clear of? Currently staying at putts point and it's not where we want to stay haha

I never would have known that Beaconsfield is named after Benjamin Disraeli, Lord Beaconsfield, if you had not mentioned the name, and I Googled it. When you say "working all over", do you really mean working all over Sydney, all suburbs, out as far as Cronulla, Campbelltown, Penrith, Windsor, Richmond, Castlle Hill, Hormsby, Palm Beach? There are people whose work covers everywhere too, my brother for one, working as a technician servicing medical sterilising machines in any business that uses them - vets, doctors, hospitals, tattoo parlours. I don't think he manages to do more than three jobs a day, depending on the distances and time to do the work.

Randwick and Beaconsfield are both pleasant suburbs, but you will be looking at 60km trips to some of those outlying suburbs I mentioned. My brother lives at Mt Annan, near Campbelltown, and that is 60km from my home in Surry Hills, near Central, 3/4 hour in low traffic, but 1 1/4 hours on the two occasions I drove out after 6 pm. Penrith is 55km from my home, and that has taken me 1 1/4 hr and not even in the rush hour when all the main arterial roads, ALL the roads, in fact, stuff up.

The point is, if you are really going to be covering all suburbs in your work, then pick a place fairly central, like Parramatta. You might get a reasonable place for $600 per week out there too. If your work is going to be in one particular suburb or prat of the city, well, consider moving out there to cut your commuting times. You have to weigh that up against your other wants and needs, being close to the sea perhaps, or Sydney, and how much you can afford.

I never would have considered living at Penrith until I got a job there and got to know the area. If my job had been permanent, rather than casual, and at the start of my career, I could have moved there. My job finished a year ago, and it's a year since I was last in Penrith.

Have a look on http://www.domain.com.au for suburbs in your price range.

Beaconsfield and Randwick are fine. Beaconsfield is an old industrial suburb that's gradually being converted into flats, so there's not a lot going on, but I lived there for a while and it's certainly handy for everything.

However if you're working all over, then I'd recommend looking Inner West rather than Eastern Suburbs. Most of Sydney's population is to the West of the CBD so if you want to be "central" to everything, then central is actually somewhere around Ashfield. The Western Distributor, which goes out as far as Five Dock, is an excellent road so (outside of rush hour at least!), it's fairly fast to get into the city, or on to the North Shore - so look for suburbs with easy access to that.

The yuppie inner west suburbs are places like Annandale, Leichardt, Lilyfield. I wouldn't recommend Balmain - though it's lovely, it's got tiny little village-style roads and you can lose a lot of time just getting out of Balmain before you can start motoring.

You will get a lot more for your money in Summer Hill, Dulwich Hill and Lewisham - up-and-coming trendy suburbs with good cafes, restaurants, and pubs.

Archived