My travel thread

Quokka2005

So today I went to blue mountains like I said. Took around 2 hours on train I think. The trains are so weird here - with the different levels! I got an opal card yesterday but I didn't have enough money on it today. The weather was nice, sunny but not hot. I did try walking a bit of it but my ankle was starting to hurt and the steps are soooo steep. we bought the pass for $35. I went on the steepest railway in the world! It was quite cool but the other two parts of the package weren't very good. I'm glad I went though! Going to try my best to go to manly tomorrow after the bank

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So today I went to blue mountains like I said. Took around 2 hours on train I think. The trains are so weird here - with the different levels! I got an opal card yesterday but I didn't have enough money on it today. The weather was nice, sunny but not hot. I did try walking a bit of it but my ankle was starting to hurt and the steps are soooo steep. we bought the pass for $35. I went on the steepest railway in the world! It was quite cool but the other two parts of the package weren't very good. I'm glad I went though! Going to try my best to go to manly tomorrow after the bank

If you do get to Manly - don't forget the walk to Shelly Beach. Much nicer than the area around the Corso.

Hi! Your story sounds familiar to mine ? I arrived in Sydney 3 weeks ago, I thought it was nice but didn't really take to it! So me and a friend went up to Brisbane - I really really liked it there! I loved the atmosphere and vibe there. Southbank was stunning at night. I would have stayed but it was soooo humid I knew in a month or two the weather would be too much for me! So now I'm in Melbourne and I can see why people like it so much! I really need/want to find a job but I also don't ?

So far I have found the cities to be very similar to the UK. So I'm thinking about finding a nice hotel in the outback (obviously with great air con) and stay there to see some real Australia, also I think it would be a great way to save money!

how humid was it? I don't really like humidity but I did surprise myself in Singapore. I felt minging and sticky all the time but I didn't let it stop me doing stuff and sometimes even when I went inside I felt too cold and wanted to go back out :laugh:

its a shame we can't find somewhere that would take us both haha. Then I'd have some company!

its a shame we can't find somewhere that would take us both haha. Then I'd have some company!

You sound like you and Aus15 have a lot in common so you should listen to her (him?) - sounds like Melbourne is the next stop!

I don't know what you were expecting but a city is a city - if you don't want Manchester in the sun, then the big cities probably aren't for you at all. One thing about Victoria though - it's much smaller than the other states and it's cool all over, maybe you could look for work somewhere like Ballarat or Daylesford, both holiday destinations in Victoria where there would be some work? Or how about going the whole hog - have you tried looking on seek.com.au for jobs in Tasmania?

Yeah I already chatted to someone yesterday about looking for work outside of Melbourne. Just thought maybe that would be the best place to head to quickly before school holidays start (if they haven't already!). A friend is there the now she she said she's noticed lots of cafe jobs in Fitzroy I think. Melbourne has a cat cafe too haha.

I like most cities. I just don't think Sydney is that great. It's overhyped by everyone imo. I'm going to go down to the harbour tomorrow night though for a walk

I hope that's not what's been biting me!!! The beds are comfy and I've got used to the thumping music from the club downstairs. I can still hear those horrible girls from the other room though, running around screeching. I wonder if they've had anymore orgies in the room haha

I hope that's not what's been biting me!!! The beds are comfy and I've got used to the thumping music from the club downstairs. I can still hear those horrible girls from the other room though, running around screeching. I wonder if they've had anymore orgies in the room haha

You should tell them how great the sex is in brisbane then, then they can shoot off somewhere else.

Yeah I already chatted to someone yesterday about looking for work outside of Melbourne. Just thought maybe that would be the best place to head to quickly before school holidays start (if they haven't already!). A friend is there the now she she said she's noticed lots of cafe jobs in Fitzroy I think. Melbourne has a cat cafe too haha.

I like most cities. I just don't think Sydney is that great. It's overhyped by everyone imo. I'm going to go down to the harbour tomorrow night though for a walk

You might remember when you were planning your trip, I suggested starting in Brisbane or Melbourne rather than Sydney - I loved living there but I do agree it's way over-hyped. And it is soo expensive, so backpackers arrive there and do their dough before they've got a chance to get started! The harbour is beautiful though.

You might remember when you were planning your trip, I suggested starting in Brisbane or Melbourne rather than Sydney - I loved living there but I do agree it's way over-hyped. And it is soo expensive, so backpackers arrive there and do their dough before they've got a chance to get started! The harbour is beautiful though.

Yeah I wish I had now! I guess I got caught up in the hype of it all. I feel like I've spent so much money already and I don't even know what on because I've barely been drinking. Must be food but I haven't been going out for big meals either!

They have a cat cafe in Melbourne, how can I resist that lol

You should tell them how great the sex is in brisbane then, then they can shoot off somewhere else.

they are going to New Zealand. God help nz. I'm down the hall from them a bit and I can still hear them the now shouting really loudly with some guys. So glad I'm not in that room lol

One of my friends from the group has went to see 5 or 6 flat shares since she's been here and she's said they've all been terrible. She's got one tomorrow and then after that she might come to Melbourne. She loves Sydney though but it's mad the amount of money they can take for something that's barely liveable. A girl that checked into my room today said the same, there's 3 of them trying to find a place together and she said the ones she's been to are like below the poverty line type thing but I think they wanted more than $250 each

One of my friends from the group has went to see 5 or 6 flat shares since she's been here and she's said they've all been terrible. She's got one tomorrow and then after that she might come to Melbourne. She loves Sydney though but it's mad the amount of money they can take for something that's barely liveable. A girl that checked into my room today said the same, there's 3 of them trying to find a place together and she said the ones she's been to are like below the poverty line type thing but I think they wanted more than $250 each

A large percentage of flat-share schemes are huge cons. It's big business - there are sharks in Sydney who take on a flat, put some mattresses on the floor then charge backpackers and Chinese students a fortune for a room or part room. There are flatshare websites where genuine people who have a flat and are looking for flatmates can advertise, and the prices are much fairer. Unfortunately I don't know their names.

they are going to New Zealand. God help nz. I'm down the hall from them a bit and I can still hear them the now shouting really loudly with some guys. So glad I'm not in that room lol

Well they only make it with sheep in new zealand so they'd be out of luck. ;D

Hey, that could be you if you were willing to share your bed bugs?;) plus it's more economical to share a bunk. :D

Yeah I wish I had now! I guess I got caught up in the hype of it all. I feel like I've spent so much money already and I don't even know what on because I've barely been drinking. Must be food but I haven't been going out for big meals either!

I'm sure there's one in Surry Hills plus one of those sad cafes where people pretend their dogs are babies and buy doggiechinos. As if I'd do that! uploadfromtaptalk1447683609017.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1447683609017.jpg

A large percentage of flat-share schemes are huge cons. It's big business - there are sharks in Sydney who take on a flat, put some mattresses on the floor then charge backpackers and Chinese students a fortune for a room or part room. There are flatshare websites where genuine people who have a flat and are looking for flatmates can advertise, and the prices are much fairer. Unfortunately I don't know their names.

I may get into that. Two times two bunks in my bedroom plus one or two in lounge $150 each. Why not? It's centre of the city, no one hour plus commutes.better than a hostel. Win win. That arrangement is for Pommies. With Asians you could have double. Of course with Pommies you could use bathroom as bedroom. They don't need showers!

Well on my way over here I stopped in Bangkok for a few days and the humidity there was shocking! Brisbane was not so humid, but I personally knew I wouldn't enjoy it much walking to work and working in it all day when it would be worse during the summer! So I will return probably and would love to spend a couple of months there around March/April when it's more bearable.

Today im thinking that although im waiting to hear back from some outback jobs I should begin my job hunt in Melbourne in case I don't hear back! (Knowing my luck I'll find a job here... Then hear back from a outback job! But I know I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket!)

good luck whatever you decide to do, and if you come to Melbourne and I'm still here we should meet for a drink!

are you just going to capital cities then?

Archived