Considering North Lakes - mosquitoes ???

Smiffy

Mosquitoes in SE QLD from November to March/April is a fact of life in my opinion.

Vitamin B1 slows them down, and get yourself and your children into the habit of using repellant around dawn and dusk, and get indoor insect control (Mortein) for your house. That's my advice.

I would be more concerned about your commute into Brisbane along the Bruce at peak periods than mosquitoes, if you or your partner work in Brisbane.

North Lakes is a nice area apparently with great community however the commute would be a nightmare. We are lucky enough to be in Ascot so very central meaning I go against the traffic if out.

Advice on mosquitoes is good and yes they are just part of outside life. In Brisbane they are small and do bite but nothing compared to ie India where they can be huge. Make sure any house you secure has insect screens installed, these help plus fans as they hate moving air. Also do note North Lakes is recovered wet lands so will have a higher number than most other Brisbane areas.

S

Everywhere has mossies, especially if its rained but there are many ways to minimise bites, be it Citronella candles and coils or spraying yourselves with repellent. They sell rubber repellent bracelets etc which are great for kids and if you buy your own house i suggest enclosing your patio with fly screen, we did and its the best move we ever made.

Cal x

p.s,, watch sand flies too, we camped last weekend and my daughter and i got eaten alive despite using Bushmans Repellent.

Areas near wetlands reserves seem to generate the most complaints. North Lakes is closish to Tinchi Tamba Wetlands so "may" have extra. I remember last year there were big complaints from the outer northern suburbs up to redcliffe while I didn't notice many at all nearer the city.

Might have been this outbreak: http://www.northlakes.com.au/news/item/2014/04/10/mosquito-outbreak-in-north-lakes-mango-hill ... possibly just worse than usual from a unlucky weather convergence...

One positive on the transport front is that the Mango Hill station (servicing North Lakes) became the first station to be completed on the new Kippa Ring train line today:

Mango-Hill-station-on-Moreton-Bay-Rail-Link-Photo-Queensland-Government-825x400.jpg

Edited by fish.01

Yes it's a fact of life in the northern suburbs. I find it worse around February/March time as that's usually after all the heavy rain.

We use coils and sticks in the evening and long clothes. If camping etc we take the repellent along.

It's not just in the evenings either, I was up in the sunshine coast hinterland at the weekend and they were there all day but haven't noticed them so much in Brisbane until the evening yet.