Hello and some ramblings

mouse

Hello, this is my first post in this group. I've had a quick look at some of the posts and it's reassuring already to know there are so many going through the same thing.

I've been in Australia for 10 years now and been through a lot of changes but strangely it's now that my life is more stable than ever that I'm seriously considering making the move back. I originally came out after meeting an Aussie while backpacking at 22 but have been single for five years now and made a good life for myself.

I've had a wonderful time over here and so many experiences and proud that I've managed to do it alone but started to think seriously about making the move back about a year ago. I took voluntary redundancy with the view of spending some time over there and had an amazing holiday but came back here in the end. I can't get the thought out of my head though and one year later with a new job I'm still thinking about it.

I'm terrified though! Of burning all my bridges, not being able to get a job, blowing all my savings, regretting it. I've spent most of my adult life over here and what once would have been an adventure is causing me so much stress.

I've started applying for jobs this week to put some feelers out and while not optimistic of my chances while here it's worth a go and would make it all easier.

So I think I'm doing it but I can't decide whether to sever all ties or try and keep my house here and rent it out in the short-term or longer term until the market in Perth picks up again. I wont have a credit rating in the UK so will need to rent for a year or so anyway and not sure whereabouts i'll settle. Has anyone else done the same? Is it stupid knowing that I'll pay tax on non-resident rates and be up for any capital gains at the same rate?

I've also got a cat. Has anyone had any luck finding rentals from over here that will accept a pet?

The logistics of it all just seems so mind boggling at the moment.

So glad to hear I'm not alone!

We stayed in Australia for 5 years and I totally relate to making the decision when my life was stable, it was only then I felt I was making a rational decision.

I presume you are a citizen, if not then get that sorted so that you aren't 'burning all bridges' - why not rent your house out for a year and have a 'working holiday' in the UK? If it works out and you're happier then make the move permanent otherwise you can head back - yes it'll burn some savings but with any luck your house will increase in value in that year to cover it.

As you get older it's harder to move back as there are pension implications so now is a good time for you to do it.

I would just suggest some soul-searching, even a couple of sessions of counselling to be very honest to yourself about the motivations of moving, what you think you are moving back to/for and whether this is only moving can achieve. There are many ways to change your life and I think so many of us move to Australia or back to the UK to make changes to our lives that don't actually require such a dramatic action.

On renting, a cat is going to make it slightly harder but plenty of landlords will accept a cat (even if the advert says no pets)

It does make it harder not having a credit record though as reputable agencies/landlords will do a credit check and without a job it would be extremely hard to get somewhere. There are people in this group that can advise you better on that though - we didn't need to rent.

Getting a mortgage isn't as hard as you might think though - we bought a house after being back 9 months, not all banks will lend to you but we have a standard mortgage with the Halifax who were find about it.

Hello and welcome. We came back 5 months ago and are just in the process of buying a house (just got our Mortgage Offer this week), we just needed 3 months wageslips to show. We have gone with the Halifax as we had a mortgage with them for 12 years prior to moving to Australia, other Banks told us we'd have to wait 3 years! We managed to get jobs before moving back but I guess it depends which sector you work in. My advice would be to do lots of research and be persistent when looking for answers. On the rental situation, do you have any family or friends that you could move in with for a few months whilst you get settled, we've been squashed in with my Mum & Stepdad since we got back (4 adults & 1 Child in a 2 bed bungalow!), but they're just glad to have us home and know it's only temporary, it's been a blessing to be able to save on rent. Good luck with your decision and keep in touch xx

Hi Mouse

I can understand your feelings. I also met an Aussie when on a six month working holiday and ended up living here. Nineteen years later and I've been single for six years and ready to go home. I loved Australia when I came in my twenties and spent some fantastic times in Sydney when we were child free. However times and lives change and so do you. Australia was a great adventure when I was much younger. Now I'm older I have different priorities and for me I'd rather be in the UK near family.

I'd say keep exploring your options over there. I know it's an expensive exercise but peace of mind and feeling at home is priceless. Australia is a huge adventure but it's not necessarily for ever.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. The stories of those who have gone back and realised it was the right decision make me feel more positive. I know everybody is different but still...so many people think I'm mad for considering it.

Rosiehome, it sounds like pretty much the same story. It's been a huge adventure and not sure I'm ready to stop having adventures but I'm sure there are lots more I can have back in England! Are you still in Oz or did you move back?

Thanks again. Definitely lots to think about and some good advice.

I'd consider keeping your house (so as not to burn all the bridges)and head back.I have to say I have never travelled so much since being in the UK,to places I only ever dreamed about.I emigrated with my family to Sth Aust when I was very young,and grew up going on caravan holidays throughout my childhood,within Australia.I saw a lot of the country but as I got older,realised there was a huge world to explore! Since being back in the UK,I have been to France,Spain,Morocco,Turkey,Malaysia,India,Sri Lanka,Greek islands,Ireland,back to Oz a few times,Egypt etc.I've had some great adventures on my travels with so many happy memories.Good luck and hope all goes well for you.

@mouse I am still in Brisbane, but I'm heading home on 22/11. I am finding the goodbyes sad as I've made some good friends and I love my job. Sometimes I think I must be mad too, but I am also kept buoyed up by the PIO posts from people who have gone back and love it. Whenever I am waivering I think about New Year's Eve. I always find it hard (almost depressing) over here - never feeling quite part of things and with the prospect of another year away from family. This NYE I will be facing a lot of uncertainty about getting a job and a place to live but I will be spending it with loved ones, and I will have the support of family. @Jacaranda I can't wait to have Europe on my doorstep and be able to explore so many different places without having to spend hours (and a small fortune) on plane travel.

Here's to our new adventures!

Thanks again everyone, it's so good having some impartial advice and thoughts on the subject.

Melbpom: Too true about relationships. I'm getting to late 30s now so children are looking less and less likely for me but I'm so wary of meeting another Australian and feeling tied here again. Right now it's my choice either way and as selfish as it is it makes the decision a lot easier. I have a niece and nephew back in the UK and feel like I've missed out on them growing up really.

Rosiehome: How exciting for you! You must be in a whirlwind of activity. Hope it all goes well.

Jacaranda: Weekend breaks and city breaks would be top of my list. Along with revisits to all the places I used to love in the Lakes and the Dales.

Lady Rainicorn and Huggy 75: Good to know it all worked out well and with relative ease. Thanks for the info about mortgages too.

I just had a weekend down south in Margaret River. It was so beautiful but it felt like a farewell trip. I think I'm getting closer to doing it - if slowly, slowly!

@mouse - how attached are you to your house? Just bear in mind that if you keep it, rent it out and then sell it AFTER you become resident in the UK, there may be capital gains tax to pay in one country or the other - I recommend checking that out.

We sold up to avoid that problem, but we put all our good furniture etc. in storage rather than get rid of them - for me, what's in the house was more important than the house itself! We figured that if we did decide to come back, we'd have the makings of a home ready to go - and if we did decide to stay permanently, we'd get it all shipped over once we were settled.

That has worked quite well - since there's just the two of us, we're managing fine without all of our books, ornaments etc. We rented a small flat so we only needed a few basic thing from Ikea to get by - and I must say it's nice to have such a nice tidy flat without all my oh's clutter!!)

As it turns out, we've decided to go back to Oz, probably next year. I've discovered that I'm more Australian than Brit and I don't feel at home in the UK at all! The curse of the migrant, I think - living in other cultures changes you, and there's always a risk you won't feel quite at home anywhere.

There's no way to find out how you'll feel until you're actually living here - so you may as well take the plunge!

I wouldn't worry about job prospects - one thing I notice here is that the job market seems a lot more buoyant than in Sydney.

As others have said, things like pensions start to make the move less affordable the later you leave it, so the sooner the better.

Edited by Marisawright

• 2 weeks later...

Mouse, I lived in Australia for more than 30 years and although I love many aspects of it I am much more English than I am Australian, even though I was a baby when I arrived.

We made the move to England 3 1/2 years ago and haven't regretted it at all. Our Aussie born and bred kids love it here and never talk about wanting to go back 'home'.

Just like leaving to go another country going home can seem like a daunting experience but just try and plan out what needs to be done and do it in an organised fashion.

You will be fine.