Fees for primary schools for new migrants

T22row

Hi all hope you can help me. We are looking to move to Gold Coast next year. I have been told that you have to pay per year per child for school as we wouldn't be permanent residents. Can anyone fill me on this. Any info would be great thank you

Some states charge people who aren't on permanent visas school fees. Thankfully for you Queensland doesn't. NSW charges $4500 per year, per child. WA has started charging this year $4000 per year per family. NT also charge but I don't know how much.

• 2 months later...
If you are on a 457 visa then all you will need to pay are the "voluntary" fees which could be $100-200 pa depending on the school. If they are going to be dependents on a student visa then they will set you back around $10k pa each

Hi. I am in the same position. I am applying for a 309/100 visa. Heading to Goldcoast some time this year. I will need to enroll my children in to school. What visa is the 457? They are going as dependent on my visa. Will what you mentioned above be the same for me? Any info provided will be greatly received. Thank you.

Hi. I am in the same position. I am applying for a 309/100 visa. Heading to Goldcoast some time this year. I will need to enroll my children in to school. What visa is the 457? They are going as dependent on my visa. Will what you mentioned above be the same for me? Any info provided will be greatly received. Thank you.

457 is a temporary working visa but Qld don't charge anyway so you'll be fine, just the "voluntary" fees which could be anywhere up to $100 a term.

Voluntary fee's where we are (in between Brisbane and Gold Coast) are $70 ish for Primary and $220 for high school per year. Everyone is expected to pay this ,citizen, migrant it doesn't matter.

However if you are on a PR visa the school kid bonus may be available to you which i believe is around $450 per primary student and $800 per high school student, this should cover all your costs including voluntary fee's, book lists (very from $80 - $300 depending on year level and school) etc .

Cal x

• 1 month later...

is this the case for people bridging visa class A from a tourist visa to an 820 visa. getting conflicting info and dont want to travel til i know for sure. Queensland charge so do NSW and WA but NSW if your partner is step parent then they are exempt from fee. confusing

Voluntary fee's where we are (in between Brisbane and Gold Coast) are $70 ish for Primary and $220 for high school per year. Everyone is expected to pay this ,citizen, migrant it doesn't matter.

However if you are on a PR visa the school kid bonus may be available to you which i believe is around $450 per primary student and $800 per high school student, this should cover all your costs including voluntary fee's, book lists (very from $80 - $300 depending on year level and school) etc .

Cal x

School kids bonus is being phased out, last payment is July 2016.

Guest The Pom Queen
is this the case for people bridging visa class A from a tourist visa to an 820 visa. getting conflicting info and dont want to travel til i know for sure. Queensland charge so do NSW and WA but NSW if your partner is step parent then they are exempt from fee. confusing

Hopefully @Quoll or @Rossmoyne may be able to help answer this for you.

Hopefully @Quoll or @Rossmoyne may be able to help answer this for you.

Sorry I have absolutely no idea... visas and education fees have changed so much in the past few years since I ceased working in the education sector. I can only suggest that you perhaps contact a school in the area you will be living to enquire from them. It would be good to know the answer to this question though, so please post what you find out as it could probably help others in your situation.

Reading the NSW documentation http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/media-assets/trp/visa-subclasses.pdf and http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/media-assets/trp/fee-exemption-citizen-or-pr.pdf would indicate that NSW is going to charge international fees while you are on a bridging visa (see first document). The exemption because of link to Australia citizen requires you to have made an application for a permanent visa but IIRC you were applying for a temporary visa - the 820 (which itself entitles to free education but the BV does not.) The only way you are going to know for sure it's too call and ask them and ask for their reply in writing.

Pretty sure Qld don't charge school fees on a 457...unless the rules have changed?!?