Husband going out on a WHV?

Bubbley

This is just an idea of ours. To make a long story short, we have been saving for Oz for years. Our plan was to start the visa process after Christmas and aim for Oz in 2017-18. Well, my husbands hours got cut in July and he lost his work vehicle leaving us (family of three) to live off £800-900 a month and now pay a fortune on petrol (he travels a lot). I've applied for loads of part time jobs and still no luck. My husband is likely going to lose his job after Christmas

So, just an idea he was thinking of testing the waters and heading to Australia on a WHV, staying with family and seeing what our chances are there (we would need state or employer sponsorship to get a visa). I know unemployment is on the rise in Oz so maybe this isn't the best plan... But with the way things are going here it's starting to look like if we don't do something now well end up stuck. Were already having to drastically down size our home and sell our other car just to avoid dipping into our savings and with plans to grow the family this isnt exactly a great position to be in.

I know a lot of people will just suggest we scrap the idea of Oz but with all our family leaving and my husbands job out the window were going to be stuck in a real mess. I'd miss him like crazy and so would our son, but it would put us in a much better position if we knew we were heading out with a job to go to?

Anyone have any ideas on what to do? Is this a waste of time and money? My husband doesn't have the best (well, longest) experience but he's a hard worker and I think if he had the chance to prove himself we would have a better chance

This is just an idea of ours. To make a long story short, we have been saving for Oz for years. Our plan was to start the visa process after Christmas and aim for Oz in 2017-18. Well, my husbands hours got cut in July and he lost his work vehicle leaving us (family of three) to live off £800-900 a month and now pay a fortune on petrol (he travels a lot). I've applied for loads of part time jobs and still no luck. My husband is likely going to lose his job after Christmas

So, just an idea he was thinking of testing the waters and heading to Australia on a WHV, staying with family and seeing what our chances are there (we would need state or employer sponsorship to get a visa). I know unemployment is on the rise in Oz so maybe this isn't the best plan... But with the way things are going here it's starting to look like if we don't do something now well end up stuck. Were already having to drastically down size our home and sell our other car just to avoid dipping into our savings and with plans to grow the family this isnt exactly a great position to be in.

I know a lot of people will just suggest we scrap the idea of Oz but with all our family leaving and my husbands job out the window were going to be stuck in a real mess. I'd miss him like crazy and so would our son, but it would put us in a much better position if we knew we were heading out with a job to go to?

Anyone have any ideas on what to do? Is this a waste of time and money? My husband doesn't have the best (well, longest) experience but he's a hard worker and I think if he had the chance to prove himself we would have a better chance

My understanding is hr would not be eligible for a WHV as hr has dependents

In your circumstances with little to lose a 457 might be worth considering?

Just to add, his occupation is on the CSOL and the SOL. He's an air conditioning technician. We need some sort of sponsorship as his experience leaves us 5 points shy of the 60 required for a permanent visa. We've also spoke with a migration agent (a few months back) who suggested (only as a second option) that if experience is the problem he could get extra points for Australian work experience. Which brings us back to the WHV option?

My understanding is hr would not be eligible for a WHV as hr has dependents

In your circumstances with little to lose a 457 might be worth considering?

Having dependents is not a problem for WHV holders - as long as they stay at home.

WHV holders may not be accompanied in Australia by any dependents. Nothing to say they can't have any.

I thought that myself but I've been reading a few people have done it. But then again, thinking back I'm not sure they were married... A 457 would be a good option but I assumed with the way things are it would be unlikely we would get one?

We've applied for other jobs in the UK, again, experience let's him down as he isn't long qualified. The point with the WHV really was, would it give him a better chance to prove himself, even if he only had 6 months to do so. I should mention, either way before we make any move we have the money aside for my husband to go job hunting, but with the way things are we thought sooner rather than later. Would it not make more sense to have the WHV than just a visitor visa while he's still entitled to it?

Having dependents is not a problem for WHV holders - as long as they stay at home.

WHV holders may not be accompanied in Australia by any dependents. Nothing to say they can't have any.

Thanks, I wasn't 100% sure.

We've applied for other jobs in the UK, again, experience let's him down as he isn't long qualified. The point with the WHV really was, would it give him a better chance to prove himself, even if he only had 6 months to do so. I should mention, either way before we make any move we have the money aside for my husband to go job hunting, but with the way things are we thought sooner rather than later. Would it not make more sense to have the WHV than just a visitor visa while he's still entitled to it?

The problem he'd be up against, on a WHV, is that he'll only be able to get temp jobs or short contracts. Most people on WHV's work in various odd jobs rather than in their normal career for that reason. If you're sure there's plenty of short-term work in his field then it might work - but even so, taking into account time to find work, time between contracts etc, it's only likely to earn him an extra few months' experience, perhaps not enough to impress an employer.

Just to add, his occupation is on the CSOL and the SOL. He's an air conditioning technician. We need some sort of sponsorship as his experience leaves us 5 points shy of the 60 required for a permanent visa. We've also spoke with a migration agent (a few months back) who suggested (only as a second option) that if experience is the problem he could get extra points for Australian work experience. Which brings us back to the WHV option?

I doubt you would get the extra points from working in Australia on a WHV as he would have to be in work in the nominated occupation from the day he arrives until the day he leaves to get any points and that seems highly unlikely.

Are you sure that 60 points for skilled migration is not achievable, that is quite unusual for someone under the age of 30. E.g. Age (30), English test (20), Qualification (10) - can you not do this? Or top up with a state sponsorship?

Of course the skilled migration is going to be more expensive than employer sponsorship on temporary visa, but it is permanent from the start and might be something you need to do anyway down the line. I think I would pursue that ahead of the WHV option.

We have 55 points all together, he has the absolute minimum experience to be eligible for a visa so we get 30 points for age. 5 for experience. 10 for English (husband is native English but he struggles with the written content). 10 points for qualification and then we need sponsorship but not sure we will get it with his lack of experience?

We have 55 points all together, he has the absolute minimum experience to be eligible for a visa so we get 30 points for age. 5 for experience. 10 for English (husband is native English but he struggles with the written content). 10 points for qualification and then we need sponsorship but not sure we will get it with his lack of experience?

You would have to check the state sponsorship lists to see if they have minimum work experience requirements. Although I must admit I am not sure why you are worried if you think he has enough points to pass a skills assessment and enough to get 5 points?

There are a couple of other options for English testing that some people seem to prefer above IELTS.

From the research I've done today, he can't get sponsorship in Queensland for a 190 visa but he can for a 489? Not sure of the specifics of this visa just that it's provisional and regional but could it contribute to his experience so that we might apply for a 189 further down the line?

From the research I've done today, he can't get sponsorship in Queensland for a 190 visa but he can for a 489? Not sure of the specifics of this visa just that it's provisional and regional but could it contribute to his experience so that we might apply for a 189 further down the line?

This is an option, what you need to be aware of is that it limits where you can live and work. So in Queensland you could not live or work in Brisbane and I think the Gold Coast is out as well. It would be expensive to apply for the 189 later on, the idea is that you progress onto a specific visa (I can't remember the number) that is designed for 489 holders to become permanent residents.

Look into the other English language options which apparently are easier than IELTS. I really think you need to forget about trying to find shortcuts and just go for PR - other ideas may sound like a solution but they all add complications and in the end, you'll probably have to go through the whole process again anyway, which is only going to cost extra visa fees and extra relocation costs.

Ah OK I see. So it should give us the option to progress to PR later on? We have friends in Cairns and family in Sunshine Coast so living outside the big cities wouldn't be a big deal, but then I guess employment is harder to find in regional areas?

Thanks for the help :) my head is fried deciding our best options.

It might take a good portion of his WHV time to get state specific licenses and that will probably be an added cost again while he won't be working. If he wanted to extend to the 2 yrs he would have to work regional/remote for 3 months. Honestly the WHV isn't really designed for what he has planned but he might get a good adventure holiday out of it.

Ah OK I see. So it should give us the option to progress to PR later on? We have friends in Cairns and family in Sunshine Coast so living outside the big cities wouldn't be a big deal, but then I guess employment is harder to find in regional areas?

Work is always harder to find in regional areas but at least you'd be in a part of the world that needs a lot of air con!

Just be sure you understand what the visa entails. I know you're short of money right now, but I can't help feeling you should get a registered migration agent like @wrussell or @Alan Collett - it will cost, but not as much as applying for the wrong visa and losing your money, or heading off to Oz on a visa that doesn't give you permanent residence and having to come home again.

I know it really does sound like I'm looking for short cuts... It's not the expenses of migrating that's making me question which route we take, its thinking now my husband is losing his job its better getting the ball rolling sooner rather than later before we end up spending our savings here in the UK just to get by. So far neither of us have any luck on the job front here and money is extremely tight so I'm starting to feel what's it worth staying here to try and build up his experience if the chances are he may end up in a job just to get us by that isn't in his current field of work anyway..

Thanks for the help :) my head is fried deciding our best options.

Well this is looking much better for you then. Your 489 is for three or four years (I think maybe you have to apply to extend it to four years). But after living in the regional area for two years and working there for one year you can apply for the permanent visa stage.

I was also thinking just what Marisa said but she beat me to it, head to FNQ and there will be plenty of demand for aircon!

I know it really does sound like I'm looking for short cuts... It's not the expenses of migrating that's making me question which route we take, its thinking now my husband is losing his job its better getting the ball rolling sooner rather than later before we end up spending our savings here in the UK just to get by. So far neither of us have any luck on the job front here and money is extremely tight so I'm starting to feel what's it worth staying here to try and build up his experience if the chances are he may end up in a job just to get us by that isn't in his current field of work anyway..

You could get the ball rolling with skilled migration, it processes pretty quickly these days. The WHV will just get your husband physical into Australia on WHV but that is it, it isn't actually getting you all that much closer to moving to Australia.

I would rule the WHV out, then. I hadn't thought about licences, but Quoll is right - by the time he's got his licences to work in air con in Australia, he'd hardly have time to get any worthwhile experience in. Plus he'll have to pay rent all that time, plus probably buy a car - all extra cost that you won't have to pay if he stays home. And for what? The off chance that he might, just might, find an employer to sponsor him? Too long a shot, IMO.

Just looking a bit more at the 489 visa option. If I go onto the Queensland migration website it says 2 years experience required but if I go to VETASSESS it says he needs 5 years experience for a skills assessment. So then does that not mean he needs 5 years either way?

Just looking a bit more at the 489 visa option. If I go onto the Queensland migration website it says 2 years experience required but if I go to VETASSESS it says he needs 5 years experience for a skills assessment. So then does that not mean he needs 5 years either way?

You need a positive skills assessment for any of the skilled migramt visas so if skills assessment says that he needs five years of experience then he needs five years of experience, what the state says is irrelevant (and indeed a bit illogical if indeed five years is needed).

I am surprised that it would require five years of experience though, that is quite a lot, three is more normal. Is that because he doesn't have qualifications? I went on to vetassess website and I couldn't find anything about number of years of work experience for this occupation, where did you see that?

Thought it was a bit strange myself, sent a few emails there to see if it wad correct or am i just picking it up wrong. Will definitely need to contact a migration agent but just trying to look up as much ad i can myself.

http://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-assessment-for-migration/trade-occupations/required-documents

I kind of went through the stages just to see what I could find and it says proof of 5 years experience?

He has four for now so not a big deal, just thought it was strange

Archived